Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2015, 03:51 PM   #1
Cannorchid
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 2
Default Overspeced Computer @@?

Hi There:
I'm new to GV, and I never do any editing.. I'm IT staff, but my company video team proposed to buy a new PC for editing with EDIUS 7. Our main content will be 1080p, will not be touching 4k.

Dealer proposed a workstation of following main spec:

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2680 (That means 24Core...)
RAM: 32GB
Graphid Card: ATI Firepro or Nvidia Quadro Card, cost over USD 400

I have read through a few threads, suggesting if not using special filter, EDIUS will be CPU bounded. That means "Maybe" Firepro or Quadro card is not needed?

Also, it seems some forum members is working fine with 4k content, using i7-4790K, so that means 1080p + Dual Xeon E5-2680 is a super overkill?

32GB of RAM also seems to be a waste? Most people are going with 16GB setup?

Hope to get some advise, I want to make sure every $$ is spend on the right component.

Thanks!
Cannorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:46 AM   #2
Bluetongue
Senior Member
 
Bluetongue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Adelaide South Australia
Posts: 2,197
Default

If all you are doing is HD 1080 then it is an overkill
Look at my signature, I only do 1080 projects with 2.7K clips added from a GOPRO and have no problems, Edius is definately CPU intensive if using Edius filters
There are GPU transitions but any GPU card can handle these
Note: on my signature I use an outdated GPU ATI 6950 and it is in the middle of the sweet point for NEWBLUE filters, any faster ATI card slows the buffer fill on these filters, nvidea cards could be different, no experience
I get RT with all my filters, Native or third party
There are other GPU filters that do better with faster cards but as all I normally use are native filters Boris Red (CPU only) and Newblue it suffices perfectly
At any time my CPU (6>12 core) rarely reaches 40% even with Boris RED (CPU intensive) filters where I get 5-6 secs RT from a full buffer
Where you would find an advantage with the proposed system would be rendering MPeg 2 video for Bluray where all cores can go to 100%
I can run 3 streams in multicam with no problems
Hope that helps
Barry
__________________
Win 10HP, EDIUS WG9.4, HD Spark, Boris RED 5, VMW6, Authorworks 6, Bluff Titler, VisTitler 2.8, NEAT 3/4, Mercalli 2/4, Vitascene, Izotope RX6 Plugin, NewBlue, Trend Micro AV
GB GA-X58A-UD3R MB, i7 990X@4G, 12G 1600mhz Mem, Samsung EVO-250G SSD, 3x2T RAID, GTX 970W OC, 2x24 inch LG Monitors
Canon XH-A1/ Canon HF-G30, GoPro Hero3 Black, Edit @1920 50p HQ preset

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,
Bluetongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:30 PM   #3
dpalomaki
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,892
Default

Limited to 1080 now, but what is the intended life of the system vs. likelihood of requiring more horsepower for some TBD future format, software update, or bag of filters.

And what is the cost difference? And the cost to deploy a system upgrade at a possibly earlier date?

(Some notional cost/benefit numbers - supply your own numbers for your business case.) It is sort of is a question of is it worth paying an extra $1,000 for toys to keep a $100,000 employee happier? Would that $1000 pay for itself in increased, billable productivity over the life of the machine; e.g., at $60 per hour, its about one minute a day over three years?

At least in the USA, hardware is cheap, people are expensive.

I don't recall anyone ever complaining about having too much processing power, and there may be some intangable value in making the editors happier.

These are some questions that should be considered in reaching a decision. But that is a business decision the person responsible for the bottom line should make.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:49 PM   #4
Liverpool TV
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Liverpool, England.
Posts: 2,901
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetongue View Post
If all you are doing is HD 1080 then it is an overkill
Look at my signature, I only do 1080 projects with 2.7K clips added from a GOPRO and have no problems, Edius is definately CPU intensive if using Edius filters
There are GPU transitions but any GPU card can handle these
Note: on my signature I use an outdated GPU ATI 6950 and it is in the middle of the sweet point for NEWBLUE filters, any faster ATI card slows the buffer fill on these filters, nvidea cards could be different, no experience
I get RT with all my filters, Native or third party
There are other GPU filters that do better with faster cards but as all I normally use are native filters Boris Red (CPU only) and Newblue it suffices perfectly
At any time my CPU (6>12 core) rarely reaches 40% even with Boris RED (CPU intensive) filters where I get 5-6 secs RT from a full buffer
Where you would find an advantage with the proposed system would be rendering MPeg 2 video for Bluray where all cores can go to 100%
I can run 3 streams in multicam with no problems
Hope that helps
Barry
Totally agree with Barry.

You may want to consider a system based around a Z97 motherboard and DevilsCanyon CPU. This will be way more cost effective than the system you quoted, easily do 1080 like what Barry is doing and can also handle 4K.

You can even use the onboard GPU with Edius, and add a dedicated GPU later only if you really do need one for maybe 3rd party filters.

If you buy the machine you quoted it is a waste of money for 1080. And even if you do get into 4K at some point, it sounds like it would be way down the line. In which case, you would be able to be a cheaper more powerful machine then.

Unless a person has a dedicated plan for updating future requirements, I would always recommend buying what is needed for the present.

The editing procedure that Barry is talking about with his setup, can't be done any faster with a more powerful and expensive system.

Cheers,
Dave.
__________________
"There's only one thing more powerful than knowledge. The free sharing of it"

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:37 PM   #5
Bassman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,462
Default

I agree with Barry and Dave but will add another important dimension - What codec(s) will you be working with?

1080p using Mpeg-2 4:2:2 edits like butter on low spec machines. AVC-Ultra 1080p is a CPU resource hog (as I have found out!) So the 1080p aspect is not as important as how intensive your "decoding" is while editing.

Also, do you need only one layer or multiple layers/cameras? 1080p with one layer will work with systems from years ago. No new or dual anything.

A Z97 with SSDs and RAIDs will be pretty tough to beat from a performance/price point of view.

RAM - Edius does not need over 2GB of ram and is usually around 1 GB. The RAM application is Adobe After Effects. If you see any AE usage then 32GB if not the 16GB is plenty.

Video Card - Stay with a "gamer" NVidia card as they perform just fine for what little Edius uses the video card for.

Hope this helps!
__________________
Asus Prime X299-A - Intel i9 7900x all cores @4.3GHz 2 cores @4.5GHz - 32GB RAM - NVidia GTX1070 - Edius 9 WG - BM Intensity 4k - Boris RED - Vitascene 2 - Windows 10
Bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:01 AM   #6
Cannorchid
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
Limited to 1080 now, but what is the intended life of the system vs. likelihood of requiring more horsepower for some TBD future format, software update, or bag of filters.
Thanks dpalomaki, for the next 5 to 10 years, we will be working on 1080p.

A 24C computer is crazy price, wasting money is one issue, I prefer to buy the right setup (Slightly over spec is ok), and spend the saved $$ on other parts, i.e. Maybe building a spare PC incase the main edit system went down.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
I agree with Barry and Dave but will add another important dimension - What codec(s) will you be working with?

1080p using Mpeg-2 4:2:2 edits like butter on low spec machines. AVC-Ultra 1080p is a CPU resource hog (as I have found out!) So the 1080p aspect is not as important as how intensive your "decoding" is while editing.

Also, do you need only one layer or multiple layers/cameras? 1080p with one layer will work with systems from years ago. No new or dual anything.

RAM - Edius does not need over 2GB of ram and is usually around 1 GB.

Video Card - Stay with a "gamer" NVidia card as they perform just fine for what little Edius uses the video card for.

Hope this helps!
Thanks Bassman for pointing out CODEC & How many number of layers to work with, I will check with EDIUS editor.

The machine is purely for EDIUS and will not be using any GPU accelerated filter, so it seems built-in graphic is enough! (Or a gaming Nvidia Card)
Cannorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
 
Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do I need a new computer? Gunn EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories 10 04-30-2014 08:12 PM
Transfer Effect from Computer to Computer? Mike Truly Editing with EDIUS 2 07-05-2013 07:32 PM
New computer Khoi Pham Editing with EDIUS 1 04-24-2008 05:37 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:02 AM.


Copyright 2014 Belden Inc. All rights reserved.