Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 02-11-2020, 09:36 PM   #1
DaveL

Default Quick archive question before I rely on it

I'd like to check this with those that may have done this:

I have a huge project (~1TB) that I want to archive to an external HDD to save space.
However, it was originally edited with files "all over the place" on the HDD (meaning files not in the Edius project folder).

So, question (I think this will work):
- Can I use the feature of "clip transfer" to bring everything into the project folder.
- Then delete the files from the original HDD locations to save space.
- Then copy the Edius project folder to an external HDD to archive.
- Then delete the Edius project folder from my working HDD to save the space.

Then, if I ever need to re-visit that project, I just copy the project folder back over to Edius folder and start working.

Is that a "safe" procedure for archiving when the original edit was done with files "all over" the HDD?
Thanks
Old 02-11-2020, 11:27 PM   #2
antonsvideo

I would start a new project with the same project settings, then I would choose import sequence, browse for the project file in question, then select the option to copy all files used to project folder
Attached Images
File Type: png Anton-00389.png (13.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: png Anton-00390.png (15.9 KB, 33 views)

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:41 PM   #3
DaveL

I tried the import project (via import sequence) with copy files option checked, and it did not copy the clip files into new project folder.
All the files that are "all over the drive" stayed in original location (as they should), but nothing was imported into the new project folder (except what was already in the original project folder).

Is there another step to enable this? Or . . .
Thanks
Old 02-18-2020, 11:30 PM   #4
antonsvideo

looks like that feature has a bug, it should copy all needed files

you could try Consolidate, but it also has bugs, it will not copy vistitle files and quicktime mov files

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:11 AM   #5
Haddock

I have met this problem more then once.... and as Anton wrote consolidation of Edius is not reliable.

The final solution I found "ask time" but is OK and reliable. Look here : https://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/...ht=consolidate, these procedure is already 2 years.

Read it attentively to understand everything... complex but not complicate.

It gives also a good way to organize a project. My rules are here to avoid this issue in the future :

1. Have one "Edius project folder" that have to contain all what you need to edit.
2. Edius project = "ezp" has to be in but above all others sub-folder.
3. If you need a file already present anywhere in your computer : COPY IT in the "Edius project folder"
4. If you use quicktitle containing some image or graphism, don't forget to also copy these image or graphism.

When your project has to be "achived"... you only need to copy one folder.
You can restart these project from this "archive" but you have to verify the Quick Title files that use image or graphism (and redo the link).

In the beginning the "workaround" of consolidate will seem havy. But it is not, it's just a little time of understanding the philosophy of these procedure.

Sorry for my poor english, I am french native speaking

Main System: Azus Z87 Pro, 4770K@3.5Ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GT 630, Windows 7 Pro 64, Samsung 840 pro, Edius 8.53.2808 WG and 9.40.4896 + NXexpress or HDspark, 2T separate video SSD.

Last edited by Haddock; 02-19-2020 at 09:29 AM.
Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:12 PM   #6
Drbgaijin

I prefer a method similar to that described by Haddock.
Here is a link to 3 more detailed tutorials of mine, on how I like to organise the media and archiving.
They were made back in 2015, so the EDIUS version is an old one. However, the logic behind the method still workd for newer versions of EDIUS.

https://wp.me/P8ahNU-11U

Look for the 3 blue thumbnails.
Regards
Douglas

PS. I think that everyone who started with EDIUS a while back have developed their own ways of dealing with media and archiving. I am just showing what I prefer.

Main System: EDIUS WG 9, Asustek Intel Z370, i7-8700K @ 3.70GHz, 32GB RAM, GTX-1080Ti, BMD Intensity Pro 4K, Windows 10 Pro
Drbgaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:17 PM   #7
BernH

Automatic Duck's Media Copy can also help with archiving, if certain criteria are met.

Media Copy does copy files from outside the Edius folders, as well as title files and such within the edius folders, and deposits them into a folder of your choosing.

It does not copy the edius project, but instead uses a linked AAF export of your timeline to feed it's copy routine.

This can work for archiving a finished timeline as the media and an aaf, or you can import the aaf back into an empty project, placing all the gathered media in the edius project folders and relinking to the copied media. This will ignore any media in the project that was not used on the timeline that you export the aaf from.

The one catch here is that aaf creation from edius does not support mixed framerates, so all video assets need to be the same framerate.

If you have mixed framerates, one of the other methods is a better option.

A working built in archive/consolidate function would be a blessing.
Edius WG 9.52.5886, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
BernH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:17 PM   #8
DaveL

Thanks for all suggestions.
What I wound up doing was creating an "archive" version of the project and then importing the original project (via import sequence) and selecting to copy all files which would only copy want was already in the original project folder, which was just the titles.
I then manually copied all material (clips, audio,etc.) to the created "archive" project folder, then changed the directory names of the sources to lose link, then relinking everything to the project folder sources.
This wasn't too bad in terms of effort (most of the time was in finding what copy features of E9 would work and which didn't), and did the job just fine.
An automated version would be nice.
Thanks again to all.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS