Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 06-02-2011, 06:37 AM   #1
Steven Q

Default ADVC300 Keeps Jumping from Analogue to Digital :-(

Greetings All,

I've got a ADVC300 which is a great little unit and does a wonderful job converting my old Beta, VHS and Video8 tapes. The addition of the TBC makes a huge difference and works a treat... However, sometimes during capture the mode automatically jumps from "Analogue" to "Digital" and the computer stops capturing video, usually when the video is damaged or bad joins in the video feed footage. This is driving me nuts as my older ADVC110 doesn't do this, is there any way to keep it locked in Analogue mode, even if the feed video signal drops out temporarily ?

Thanks in Advance, I'm hoping it's a quick and Easy fix :-)

Steve
Steven Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
abcronnie

Hi Steven

Is it possible that the some of the tapes you are transferring have Macrovision copy protection on them this seems to upset some TBC's I've used and coauses picture instabilities.

Regards
Ronnie
System 2: Gigabyte GA-890FX UD7MB, CPU: Phenom II 6 Core Proc. @ 3.1 Ghz, RAM:16GB Vengeance RAM 4x4GB, Graphics Nvidia GTX560ti, 1x240GB OCZ SSD system, 4x1TB WD Black Ent. Drives Raid 0. LAN NAS 6TB backup.
O/S Windows 7 64bit Pro SP 1, Edius 6.5.2 Boris Red 5.22, VMW 5, Imaginate 2.0 5, Vistitle, LGx2 Blu-ray. 2xw2228h Monitors. HDSpark, BM UltraStudio SDI Capture & Playback,Sony 17" BVM SDI, Sony 32" LCD, Edius KB, Intuos 4 Tablet
abcronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
dpalomaki

What are the state and color of the status lights before and after the jump?

Could it be that when the break in analog video signal happens, something similar to the end of a tape, the capture software drops out of capture mode.

I suspect that the 300's line TBC can correct poorly shapped sync pulses, but not for totally missing sync as may happen at a break in recorded signal or a crash edit on a VHS maching w/o flying erase head.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #4
Steven Q

Thanks for the replys, no there's no macrovision in the tapes, they're just home recordings and/or stuff I taped off TV. However, the tapes "do" have breaks in the video stream which is generally where the ADVC300 "looses the plot" and jumps to Digital mode. For some reason, my ADVC110 just sits it out and waits for the Analoge signal to return and continues capturing from there, the 300 sits in digital mode and stays there ! This obviously ends the capture session for the computer, but the video continues playing after the break in the video signal, but it's not being captured.

Steve
Old 06-03-2011, 12:49 AM   #5
kbosward

I had this problem with the ADVC-300 when I first started capturing. You need to turn off device control in your capturing application. If there is a break (e.g. scene change), your capturing software detects that and tells the ADVC-300 to stop (and that causes the ADVC-300 to switch modes).

If you can't find out how to turn off device control, there's a couple of options. If you have another old VCR lying around, try passing the analog signal through that first -- it may shield the ADVC-300 from breaks.

The other option is to try another capturing application. You don't say what platform you're using, but if it is Windows, try the little app called WinDV. It's an oldie and I don't know if it works under Windows 7. There's a little checkbox between the Config and Capture buttons. Uncheck that to turn off device control. I found with device control turned off, I could capture all day without a problem!

Ken.
kbosward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Remember that black video and silent audio is still a signal, and technically different from no signal at all. Some VCRs will replace no signal with a blue, green or red image, while others will truly play out "nothing" (no sync).

If there are unrecorded segments of true nothing on the tape, there will be no sync at all, and the ADVC will stop sensing input.

Last edited by GrassValley_BH; 06-13-2011 at 05:18 PM.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:23 AM   #7
Steven Q

Thanks Ken, I think the option of turning off the "device control" seems like a logical approach, thanks for that. I've just got to find out where they hide it in Pinnacle 9.4, BTW I'm using Windows XP on my capture machine and as mentioned, it works a charm with my ADVC110 and very well with the 300, but for the fact that when there's rubbish in the video stream it loses the plot and flips to digital. Also, I've downloaded WinDV like you suggested (seems very old though, 2003) I'll keep this one in my back pocket for emergency :-)

One option I haven't tried yet which I'm figuring is also a logical move, would be to set up the ADVC300 as a converter only. I'm logically assuming that this will 'cause the converter to remain in the Analogue mode due to the absence of any outside influence from captured signal or PC. Am I correct in assuming that ? Or, has anyone else done this ? I'd be interesting in feedback if anyone has any input which may assist me in this dilemma of switching modes. Main concern is keeping the TBC intact as this is extremely handy in the 300 as opposed to the 110, though I believe there's no off control for it on the 300 so I should be okay.

Ta in advance and thanks to everyone for their input :-)

Steve
Old 06-13-2011, 11:46 PM   #8
kbosward

Ah, so someone else still uses Pinnacle 9.4 ! You won't find any device control setting there, I've looked. That's why I use WinDV (and sometimes I use the nearly equally ancient shareware Scenalyzer if I want more control, again with device control turned off). WinDV will work fine under Windows XP. You may as well give it a go now that you have it. I remember when I first discovered it and the sense of relief when it would capture all day without a single dropped frame and without the ADVC-300 switching over into play mode in the middle of a tape.

Not sure what you mean by "converter only". If you're talking about putting a TBC between your source and the ADVC-300 then you should have no further problems with dropouts. Note that the TBC in the ADVC-300 is not a full-frame TBC, it is only a "line" TBC (LTBC) which effectively only restores the horizontal sync signals. You are correct that it cannot be turned off.

Ken.
kbosward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:14 AM   #9
Steven Q

Yup... :-) I still use Pinnacle 9.4, I do have the other versions right up to 14 Ultimate, but I've always found 9.4 very easy to use and it's not as sensitive as the newer versions. The simple philosophy of "if it ain't broke, so don't fix it" works well in this instance (plus the fact it cost a fortune years ago). However, I have to admit, I do use 14 for other things (slowing down captured 16 film with sound, creating DivX, etc) I may give the WinDV a go just for video capture purposes as it may save me time in the long run.

By "Converter Only" I mean set up the ADVC300 as a stand alone unit that (according to the manual) works independently, without the need for a computer. Yeah... I'm aware that the TBC is only Line, however, I'm finding it works a treat with stabilizing the frames enough by saving me from frame drops. Fortunately most of the equipment linked up generally has TBC and/or DNR so the LTBC is actually an added bonus :-) One thing that I was wondering though, did all the filtering and correcting features in the ADVC continue operating if it's used in stand alone mode ?

Thanks Again Ken, I'm learning a lot in this forum and glad I joined :-)

Steve
Old 07-02-2011, 04:11 AM   #10
Steven Q

Okay... I've tried basically every option available and had no luck... In some cases it got worse. I ended up capturing with Pinnacle 14, but turned off "stop at end of tape" feature in the main capture window (also turned off Scene Detection as well). This seemed to fix my problem and every time there's static in between filmed sections the ADVC300 just continues capturing away... I really preferred to continue using my Pinnacle 9.4, but looks like my only option is to upgrade. I'm also going to give the WinDV a go as recommended by Ken, which may mean I can stay with my beloved 9.4 for editing at least :-)

UPDATE

Started using the Free WinDV Capture program and I must say, I'm pretty sold on it. It works a treat, captures fantastically and doesn't cause my ADVC300 to stop capturing at crummy parts in the video stream... It just soldiers on without incident and passes straight over messed bits of the tape and continues capturing whenever it encounters a legible signal. The file size is an added bonus and it's easy to both install and use and allows me to dispense with my Multi-System Converter as a stabilizer (additionally the LTBC in the Canopus 300 unit seems to work fantastic with WinDV). Thanks again Ken :-)

Last edited by Steven Q; 09-10-2011 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Update to Update and Finalizer

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC