Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 04-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #11
antonsvideo

S-Video is cleaner than composite

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro
antonsvideo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #12
dpalomaki

Quote:
Should I use the composite video signal from the TBC as an input to the ADVC110, or should I use the S-Video output? Maybe it doesnt matter.
In general, s-video is better. How much better depends on the source material and the specifics of the gear being used (e.g., quality and baddwidth of the recorded signal, circuits, filters, etc.)
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:32 PM   #13
bluespark

Default tearing at the top using TBC

Heres a new problem, or sort of a problem anyway. When I look at the output of the TBC on a TV it looks good. Out of the ADVC110 it still looks good but its bigger, showing more content on all sides (I think) which is great, except that the added area at the top tears to the right. I wonder how the TBC is able to show the normally hidden part of the picture? If I can find a way to crop the top 5% or so of the picture Im good since it is a bit annoying. I am going to capture 2 short clips, one with TBC and one without to see how much bigger the picture is, but I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this.
bluespark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #14
bluespark

Default correction to prior post

I was wrong about the size being different, the TV just hides some of the picture. So the TBC fixes the missing frames problem but adds an even worse one. I guess I'll just have to live with it. Nuts.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:25 AM   #15
kbosward

If you're capturing the video to edit and burn onto a DVD for playing back on a TV, then don't worry about the edges. They will be hidden again when you play it on the TV. But if you are wanting to create videos for playing on a computer, which will show the edges, then you will need to do some cropping in your video editor. Or else just put up with it!

Ken.
kbosward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #16
dpalomaki

Quote:
So the TBC fixes the missing frames problem but adds an even worse one.
What you see on the computer but not on the TV us the so called "overscan" area. That is in large part the reason for the "action safe" and "title safe" areas you see in editing software. This is legacy from the days of analog TV signals and sets when it was needed to ensure a stable picture in image areas of primary interest.

I suspect the TBC did not add the flagging in the overscan area, it may actually have reduced it a bit if you compare the processed and unprocessed signals on an overscan-capable monitor. A different TBCs might do a better, or worse, job correcting the signal.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #17
bluespark

Default Looks like just bad tape

Thanks everybody once again for the help. I spent some time investigating, and have concluded the root cause is a tape/VCR/camera problem. Only 2 out of 15 tapes exibit this problem, and these are the ones that prompted me to get the TBC in the first place so I know they are problematic. Interestingly enough, the ADVC110 does not notice the trouble in the top overscan area, and the TBC gets through the dropouts due to bad source video, so I just have to pick which one is most important to fix. I am leaning toward getting rid of the dropouts and keeping the tearing at the top since it will probably get cut off anyway. The camera used for this (Sony CCD-V9) was a real pile of junk, continually in the shop for bad video or eating tape, so I feel lucky to get as much as I have off these tapes.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC