Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 04-13-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
The20cenaddict

Default advc110 has no effect

Oh, gosh, I was so impressed with the positive reactions on Amazon to the canopus 110. The vast majority of people had great results. Well, they must have gotten up on the right side of the bed. Many complain it is not recognised by the editing software. I do not use the Edius at all. I use Windows XP and I have a Pinnacle av card. It has analog and firewire inputs. I tried hooking up the 110 to the firewire, and it was actually recognised by the Windows movie maker. I tried a few minutes, and then looked at the results. I use a sony tr716 hi-8 camcorder as the 110 rca analog input. The image on my crt (flat panel is no different) was exactly the same garbage as from the Pinnacle input directly. The 110 did absolutely nothing. The image is soft, rubbery, and I cannot even read the street signs. On a television, of course....wow... just as I saw it. I first thought the unit was defective, and was going to exchange it. But then I needed the refund more, at the time. I was advised that maybe I just need a separate firewire input jack, apart from the pinnacle card. I don't know. I just want to convert my hi-8 tapes, so they look like what I saw originally.
By the way, I tried the various combinations of dip switch settings also. Any suggestions would be great. So many others had good luck, once it was recognised. Please help. Thanks
The20cenaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Given that you have the same (poor) playback from both your Pinnacle AV card and the ADVC110, I would suspect that the problem is either your source signal, or your method of playback.

A different Firewire jack/port/bus will not affect the quality, though it might affect whether the capture works or doesn't. It's a bit of an all-or-nothing on that front.

What are your system specs?
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
dpalomaki

Are you saying that the analog output of the Hi8 camcorder looks good on the TV, but the captured video, when played back on the same analog TV looks bad?

Or are you saying the Hi8 tape played directly from the VCR/camcorder to a TV looks good but the capture dvideo played to a computer monitor looks bad?

What kind of TV and monitor (e.g., HD or SD, screen size, etc.)

My experience is that Hi8 video that looked good a few years ago on a SD TV set looks pretty bad when viewed today on a HD set - with or without intermediate capture to DV. The analog TV sets of the era managed to hide a lot of image issues. The video is essentially the same, it is my quality standard/expectation that has rebaselined.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:14 AM   #4
kbosward

If you're using Windows Media Player to playback the captured DV file, make sure you follow the steps here first:

http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/fo...hread.php?t=49

Better to use a third-party player such as VLC Media Player.

Ken.

Last edited by kbosward; 04-14-2011 at 01:24 AM.
kbosward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:41 AM   #5
The20cenaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
Are you saying that the analog output of the Hi8 camcorder looks good on the TV, but the captured video, when played back on the same analog TV looks bad?

Or are you saying the Hi8 tape played directly from the VCR/camcorder to a TV looks good but the capture dvideo played to a computer monitor looks bad?

What kind of TV and monitor (e.g., HD or SD, screen size, etc.)

My experience is that Hi8 video that looked good a few years ago on a SD TV set looks pretty bad when viewed today on a HD set - with or without intermediate capture to DV. The analog TV sets of the era managed to hide a lot of image issues. The video is essentially the same, it is my quality standard/expectation that has rebaselined.
Thanks for the reply. I am using an old 9inch portable television to watch the original hi-8 tape. My method is to look closely at the screen and everything is fine. When I play the 110 output through the pinnacle firewire input, to my 17" crt, the result is pretty bad. I look closely at the monitor and see the rubbery effect, illegible street signs, etc. Flat panels give same result. There has to be a logical solution to this dilemma. Also, does the specific video editor make any difference? I mean, once I find one that recognises the 110 output, should the results be the same? Would I have better results with the Edius software? Please advise. Thanks David
Old 04-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
dpalomaki

Quote:
I am using an old 9inch portable television to watch the original hi-8 tape. My method is to look closely at the screen and everything is fine
That is likely the major if not total source of the problem. The old 9" portable TV is likely incapable of showing with anywhere near the resolution of your 17" monitor or the flat panel display. The old TV likely has an effective resolution substantially below VGA, perhaps 350 video lines equivalent. In pixel terms about 1/8 the that of typical 17" monitor. Add to this the effects of the small size of the screen. To compensate for the visual effects of the screen size view the 17" monitor form a bit more than 2x the distance used to view the TV so it subtends the same visual angle.

Hi8 video had a nominal bandwidth of about 400 video lines, DV is about 500 lines, and typical TV sets about 350 lines. A typical current 17" computer monitor is some where in the range of 1024x768 and 1280 x 1024 pixels, which would translate to about 768 video lines resolution. What this means is that the noise in the original Hi8 signal that would not be seen on a typical TV set because it is filtered out by the reduced bandwidth is captured in the DV image, and becomes painfully visible on a higher high resoulution montior.

Play the captured output to the 9" TV if you can, and see how it looks as proof of this. You may be able to reduce the noise effcts by applying some filtering to the captured video using an NLE such as Edius, Neo, or usign products such as VirtualDub or TMPGEnc. Some DVD Authoring programs such as AW4 may provide this capability as well.

Last edited by dpalomaki; 04-14-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:42 PM   #7
The20cenaddict

I tried to post a reply, but it was not permitted. How do I do it? please advise David
Old 04-16-2011, 11:27 PM   #8
pjsssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by The20cenaddict View Post
I tried to post a reply, but it was not permitted. How do I do it? please advise David
If you are posti8ng a general reply, choose the Reply button on the top left hand side of the posts. To add the quote to a specific post (such as this one), click on the Quote button in the bottom right hand corner of the post.
pjsssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:09 AM   #9
The20cenaddict

Default canopus 110

In reference to Dpalomaki's answer.( which I cannot reply to), I think he missed the point of my problem. The advc110 box that I tried to use, I think must have been defective. My sole purpose is to convert my hi8 tapes to dvd, so anyone can view them, whether it be on a computer monitor or a television. Analog in, digital (converted) out. That is all. What I saw on the firewire output was the original analog signal, still. Nothing had changed. The box did absolutely nothing. The notion of screen resolution details doesn't matter at all. I returned the box for a refund. I'd still like to verify if others actually saw a converted signal at the firewire output of the box. Let me know. Thanks David
Old 04-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
dpalomaki

Quote:
What I saw on the firewire output was the original analog signal, still. Nothing had changed.
How did you view analog signal on the firewire output?

What you probably saw on the firewire output of the advc 110 was a digitized (to DV format) version of the Hi8 player analog output, and it should be an excellent copy of the analog input signal - noise, warts, and all.

Hi8 recordings tend to look BAD (there is no other way ti describe it) when viewed on a high resolution capable systems unless a lot of filtering and and processing done before the signal reaches the display.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC