Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 12-09-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
mattie

Default E6 and its horrible audio mapping thing..

I have tried to work with it but the new audio mapping is doing my head in.

Even when unslected and greyed out it tries to place audio on tracks which I have audio on already!!!

This has got to be the worst thing about E6 - I think it was done to try and emulate Premiere or such like but I simply hate it.

I want an E5 emulation mode because I can't work with audio like this any longer.

I warn any E5 users who are used to working in a certain way to seriously look at this before you upgrade to 6 -It has slowed me down by 20% at least!

PS - no replies telling me I don't know what I am doing - the mapping thing is soooo un-intuitive it shouldn't need a 3 page explanation.

Audio should be either mapped or not! so why cant E6 do this with ease?!
mattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Andreas_Gumm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie View Post
I have tried to work with it but the new audio mapping is doing my head in.

Even when unslected and greyed out it tries to place audio on tracks which I have audio on already!!!

This has got to be the worst thing about E6 - I think it was done to try and emulate Premiere or such like but I simply hate it.

I want an E5 emulation mode because I can't work with audio like this any longer.

I warn any E5 users who are used to working in a certain way to seriously look at this before you upgrade to 6 -It has slowed me down by 20% at least!

PS - no replies telling me I don't know what I am doing - the mapping thing is soooo un-intuitive it shouldn't need a 3 page explanation.

Audio should be either mapped or not! so why cant E6 do this with ease?!
It's a usual thing that audio channels needs to be adressed before placing the audio in timeline! What is the problem when the source file needs to be marked before you map & place the audio channels? The alternate way is placing the clip outside the editing area before!

I don't see a massive problem!
What are your detailed recommendations?
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 12 GB RAM, Geforce 9800GT
Windows 7 Ultimate,
GV software: EDIUS 7.42, VisTitle v2.5,
GV hardware: 3G Storm
software SONY DoStudio Indie + EX 4.0.11
PC 2
Intel Core i7-3770, GIGABYTE Z77X-UD5H F14, 16GB RAM,
Geforce 650 GTX, 5x HDD, Windows 7,
GV software: EDIUS 7.42, ProCoder 3.0
GV hardware: HD SPARK
software: Telestream Switch, DTS-HD MAS, Dolby Media Meter
Andreas_Gumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
pjsssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie View Post

LOL...so if we might tell you something that would help, you don't want us to?

The audio change is certainly not my favorite thing and you cannot believe how heavily some of us have worked to try and get things changed, but it is what it is at the moment.
pjsssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
Rusty

Mattie,
I feel your pain!
The learning curve is gigantic on this nuisance and it's caused many a head-banging around here.
I had a hard time with E5 mapping for about a week, then it was easy.
It's very hard to un-learn this one.

The lack of mono only tracks in the button style menu is kind of half-baked.

I also wish there was a toggle for the (faster) E5 interface.

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
Twain - "Glances at History" 1906
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
SRsupport
Grass Cutter Gold

If you are a VA editor the changes indeed will require a few more steps.
I know I had promise a document on this I will post it next week in a new thread I am recovering from a bad flu.

I think once that document is made available it will be easier to understand and I promise that you the slow down will be less then 20% maybe 19.9999% :) nah less then 10.
For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net
SRsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
Bluetongue

The mapping has been a bit of a surprise ,but I have worked a way with it that seems to work well
By hitting 9 all mapping is disabled, from there I was unable to add any audio
By double clicking the audio map far left hand panel (turns grey) audio will only go into this track

As I only use the audio tracks for Music, Naration and FX and make one track for each I find the way it seems to work quite useful as each audio channel is done in order, Naration, FX and them music
I don't do any re mapping till after all the video is in, must try adding video with the above may not work?

Regards Barry

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,
Bluetongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #7
mattie

yea but as soon as u drag a clip with 6 channel audio - Edius decides it knows better than me and plonks the audio on A1, A2 etc EVEN when I have specified 2 channel project AND un-mapped everything except VA1

and this is meant to be progress... Go figure!?!!
mattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:05 AM   #8
zvit

When I unmapped ALL audio (didn't want it at all) and tried to nest a sequence (that had 1 track of audio in it), Edius decided to CREATE 8 audio tracks! A1 - A8! No mater what I did, it would not nest the video only. Go figure...
Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH, Intel Core i7 3770k 3.5GHz, 4 Core, 8 Threads, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB, 500GB SSD HDD for OS, 40TB Usable Hard Drive Capacity, Window 10 PRO 64-bit Edius 9.5 WORKSTATION...
zvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:22 AM   #9
SoundFreak
Banned

If you are an early adopter you'll have to pay the price of 'progress'

If E6 is slowing you down, just use E5 as it is just as good as was before E6 was released.

It has been mentioned before that E6 has numerous workflow changes, extra steps to do the same, certain features not supported anymore; they must have their reason for it.

Just report bugs (they will be fixed in due Time) and post feature request which will be added to the Long and lost list of stuff todo.

Posting a step by step tutorial how to use a new and improved feature doesn't fly well, let time take it's course on this update.

Either embrace E6 or use E5 for another year or so, your end product is what counts not that you use the latest tools, which ever version or company is under your mouse cursor :)
SoundFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #10
John Lewis

I hate it to Mattie i think i know what you mean it creates more A tracks on its own

Last edited by John Lewis; 12-10-2010 at 12:10 PM.
John Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS