Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 01-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
a_tuji

Default P6T Deluxe & GTX260 for HD-Storm

Hi
I am going to have a new machine for HD-storm.
I am now thinking to use P6T Deluxe, Corei7 Quad i7-920 & GTX260 for it.
Is this combination suitable for HD-Storm.
Or, would you please teach me the best combination of computer for HD-Storm?
Aki.
a_tuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
GrassValley_CT
Grass Valley

The Core i7 & its related chipsets are currently being tested with our hardware by the developers and we are still waiting to here the results of this, so we would recommend to wait if you are looking at this processor.

As for the GTX260 its not a card that we in the UK office have used, but would be way above the minimum specification required for EDIUS 5.
GrassValley_CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
a_tuji

Default Thanks

Thanks!
I am looking forward the results of i7.
Aki.
a_tuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
Dry Biscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_CT View Post
The Core i7 & its related chipsets are currently being tested with our hardware by the developers and we are still waiting to here the results of this......
Chris - This was over a month ago - Is there any update on the testing? I understand there is an issue with i7 based systems and the Firecoder Blu at the moment and I wondered when this was going to be addressed?

Thanks

Mark
Dry Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
balth_dire

For what it's worth, I currently have an HDstorm Plus in a P6T board (along with a 965 CPU and 2 GTX 285s) and have yet to encounter any bugs or stability issues, though I confess to being most concerned about the recent news regarding 64bit driver support, or rather lack of it.

Don't know about the Firecoder Blu.
balth_dire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:46 PM   #6
Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Biscuit View Post
Chris - This was over a month ago - Is there any update on the testing? I understand there is an issue with i7 based systems and the Firecoder Blu at the moment and I wondered when this was going to be addressed?

Thanks

Mark
Mark,

Can you elaborate at all on what the issue is with Firecoder Blu and i7 based system? I was just about to move to such a combination, (already running the FCB).. almost ...but not quite... had purchased the parts, maybe in a day or so, cannot wait any longer! <grin>

Edius 8.53 Workgroup, DVC Built i7 5960X 8 core Haswell-E Unlocked, Win10 Pro 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RTX 2080 Ti 11GB, Decklink 4K Extreme 12G, TMPGEnc Movie Plug-in AVC, Eizo 31" ColorEdge CG319X HDR 4K monitor
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
Dry Biscuit

Hi Claire,

OK - My supplier (DVC) has informed me that there is a problem with the i7 systems (which I'm assuming means the X58 chipset) and the FCB. Apparently they have tried Mobo's from MSI, Gigabyte and Also the Asus P6T and in each case they have said the FCB wont play nicely. (Adam if you're reading these boards perhaps you can elaborate?). I was told yesterday that although the FCB will install OK (and the system can see the board) - the software will not run on an X58 system which has peeved me somewhat since I am awaiting delivery of my i7 set up and my workflow would have been speeded up quite nicely with the use of the FCB. I'm going to go ahead with the system minus the FCB and once there are updated drivers released then jump in (otherwise I have a piece of hardware sitting in my system gathering dust).

As an update - This morning I have heard back from Grass Valley tech support in Germany and they have just informed me that they have never heard of any problems with the x58 chipset and Firecoder Blu. I did briefly speak to tech support in the UK yesterday and the young lady I spoke with had a chat with Chris Toms and he said that they hadn't heard yet from their developers as to the compatibility !

I have also contacted GV in Japan and spoke to Holden yesterday - I will keep you posted.

Cheers

Mark
Dry Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #8
Claire

Mark, thanks for that info, I'm sure anyone contemplating buying a FCB will want to know for sure if it works with an i7 based computer,seeing how they will likely be the norm before very long.

Let's hope Grass Valley make it clear SOON if FCB works with i7 or not.

Edius 8.53 Workgroup, DVC Built i7 5960X 8 core Haswell-E Unlocked, Win10 Pro 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RTX 2080 Ti 11GB, Decklink 4K Extreme 12G, TMPGEnc Movie Plug-in AVC, Eizo 31" ColorEdge CG319X HDR 4K monitor
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #9
vortigern

I have just posted in the hardware section the problems with P6T WS professional board and Edius
Old 02-21-2009, 09:19 PM   #10
David Clarke

The problems we are getting with the firecoder and i7s boards produces a slightly different on different combinations of boards and os. On an Asus O6t with Vista 64 I was getting an error which along the lines of "the software has experienced a side by side error." This happened when running the Firecoder blu software - no reported errors on install and the device is seen in the bios.
On other systems the software will not run because "the board is not found", although it is correctly shown in device manager.
Used both the release and 1.02 betas. On non i7 systems, even a Mac pro running vista 64 using boot camp, the firecoder works fine.
I then tested a few different canopus boards in the same systems. HDSPARK and HDSTORM had no problems. The NXE did though. It installed and worked ok apart from the HDV expansion board which would not install the drivers and the component output would not work properly. If I remember correctly that board is the one with the MPEG hardware chips which makes me wonder if both nxe and firecoder use the same brand of MPEG chips and that is a problem.
Anyway, short answer, I cannot get the firecoder to work but Sparks and storms seem fine.
I also asked canopus and had a similar response to above - ie they had not test it yet. If they have not yet tested it then they would have not hae had any problems yet, of course.
As practially everything I have tried worked fine on the i7s I had almost assumed we would have no problems.
Just out of interest FireCoder blus dont like Matrox HDV footage either, but get on well with DV, AVCHD, Canopus HQ and qute a few others. Personally I think the fiecoder is brilliant and cant wait for it to work with both i7s and direct out of edius!
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories