Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 08-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Olaf

Default Sudden Drop In Peformance

I wonder if anyone can help give me some pointers on why I Edius has suddenly slowed down.

I cannot think that I have done anything to my machine recently that would affect the performance but it really has slowed. I have 9 V/A tracks, all HD, stacked on top of each other. As I scrub through, it doesn't scrub; it jumps. When I hit play it plays but when I hit stop it keeps travelling for a couple of frames or so. If I cut a clip and hit delete....it thinks......then it deletes.

My only thought is that the drive I use for the projects is getting very full. I am willing to get rid of almost everything on there but do you think this could be the problem?

To test that theory I thought I'd just change the drive to which the projects are saved (a drive that is practically empty). But....(a) how do I change that drive to the default (I can't seem to find it in Settings) and (b) if I do change it, do I simply copy and paste my current project into the new Edius project folder?
176GB Ram
nVidia Quadro K4200 4gb
HP DVD writer
LG Bluray writer
WD Internal HD @ 4TB (x4)
Lacie External HD @ 500GB (x3)
Win 10
Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
THoff

The drive getting full won't cause it to slow down, but it can cause new files to get fragmented, which in turn slows down access to the file because the read/write mechanism needs to hunt down all the pieces as the file is read.

So to start I would defragment the drive. If that doesn't solve the problem, let us know and we'll try something else.
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
Olaf

Hi, thanks for that.

I've just open the disk defrag program. The list of my drives (that matter) all say 0% fragmented. But, not believing that, I ran the analyze disk routine and it came back with the same 0% result.

So (although I feel guilty troubling you) any other ideas? It's driving me crazy. I think I have a pretty good machine and it used to work just fine. As I said, I can't think of anything that I've done that would cause this sudden drop.

I may not have had 8 or 9 V/A tracks before but probably close. Also, at the moment, on the project I'm working on, I'm only doing a rough cut. Lord help me when I start applying masks, slow mo and colour correction!
176GB Ram
nVidia Quadro K4200 4gb
HP DVD writer
LG Bluray writer
Win 10
Old 08-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
THoff

Eight or nine tracks is pretty ambitious -- what format is the source material? Can you try muting the channels one by one from the bottom up to see how many tracks you can scrub without stuttering?

Next, with all tracks enabled, try opening Task Manager, going to the Performance tab, and open Resource Monitor. Go to the Disk tab and monitor the "Percent Highest Active Time" for the disk with your source material on it. When the value hits 100% the I/O bandwidth is maxed out. This will tell you if the disk is the bottleneck.
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
Olaf

Thanks for that....I did open the task manager and yes, when I scrub through Edius everything goes right to the top of the scales. You're also right, that when I mute off tracks it gets steadily better and better. 4 is about manageable.

The source material is mixed. Some is MTS, some is MOV, some is MP4 and some is AVI!!

I do think that if I switch drives it may be a good move because I think I am going to get faster read/write speeds. Can you point me in the direction of how to change the default drive that I set up when I first installed Edius? It's just not obvious where to find it!
176GB Ram
nVidia Quadro K4200 4gb
HP DVD writer
LG Bluray writer
Win 10
Old 08-06-2012, 02:53 AM   #6
GrassValley_PS

Go to Settings>System Settings>Project and set the default location to whatever drive is desired. To chandelier a currency Project, just do a Save As and point to the new location.
Alo make sure your Audio Mixer is closed or all sliders tracks set to Off.
GrassValley_PS is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS