Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #1
OneQuickSix

Default Is the "2:3 pulldown" option in MPG2 Encoder hard encoded, or just flags?

I was just wondering if the option for 2:3 pulldown (Extended Settings) for the MPEG2 Encoder in Edius 6.06 is just setting the flags, or is it "hard-encoding" the extra frames?

I'm making an educated guess that is is "hard-encoding" because, it forces the FIELD ORDER option to Interlaced (defaults to DVD spec UPPER FIELD of course), which would seem to indicate it was going to interlace the footage and therefore have to take care of adding the extra frames.

I ended up using a little program called pulldown.exe which just adds the flags, thus no overhead, no interlacing ... keeps it as a progressive signal, and allows modern players/displays to playback the original 24p encode.

EDIT: When I say 24p, I of course really mean 23.98p.
MAIN SYSTEM: Asus P8Z68 DELUXE, Core i-7 2600k @ 4.6Mhz (stable), 32gb DDR3 1600 (1833 oc) Vengence RAM, 512gb SSD (OS and Apps Only), 256gb SSD Scratch Disk, 2TB Caviar Black SATA3 RAID Video Drive, Nvidia GTX 970 (oc'd), Windows 7 PRO 64-bit, all in a customized HAF-X case ... complete with holographic logo. [Air cooled into the low teens idle, 49c under heavy sustained oc'd load.] Dual 19" displays with 32" video monitor. ShuttlePRO.
OneQuickSix is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS