Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 01-13-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
82DV

Default Beginner Asks How To Convert Hi8 to DVD

Hello,

I have a Sony hi8 camcorder that was purchased in 1995. Iím eager to learn more about the process and equipment for converting and editing a hi8 tape collection to DVDs.

I'm grateful for your help and thank you in advance.

Yesterday I learned about the Sony Digital 8 camcorders and was all set to purchase one until today I came upon information about the Canopus ADCV300. The latter seems like it will provide me with superior results and be easier to work with. Correct?

Is there anything else Iíll need, such as video editing software?

I have a Windows XP computer that is five years old. To accomplish the video editing, I believe I will need these new components:
-- a DVD read/write drive
-- a bigger hard drive
-- more memory
-- maybe a new computer?

Below is a list of my current computer specs:
Dell Dimension 4500, 1.9GHz processor
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Version 5.1.2600 Build 2600
Total Physical Memory 256.00 MB
Hard Drive 80GB
CD-ROM _NEC NR-7900A
CD-ROM SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148C

Is there a good book you might recommend on the whole subject of converting and editing hi8 to digital?

Finally, should I make copies of my original tapes before I start the project, in case of accidental erasure as I edit?

Thank you very much for your replies. I appreciate your sharing knowledge on this topic which is most daunting for a beginner!
Old 01-13-2008, 10:16 PM   #2
antonsvideo

1. cheapest way costs $300
buy a DVD recorder, connect your camera
insert a blank DVD and press rec as you press play on camera
do not record more than 2 hours on one DVD
then the DVD recorder allows for rough editing before you finalize the disk

2. replace your computer, overall way too slow (256 mb ram is not enough to do anything other than boot the PC)
buy a TBC in order to get stable output from analogue tape
http://www.datavideo.info/en/products/tbc1000.shtm
buy an analogue to firewire converter (Canopus type) or better an Edius NX bundle (recommended) editing software and hardware
allow $7,000 for the lot

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:32 AM   #3
82DV

Thank you very much for your reply.

Can I get good results without investing in the TBC?

Last edited by 82DV; 01-14-2008 at 03:01 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:03 AM   #4
82DV

Apparently the TBC is a necessity, as this article explains: http://www.questronix.com.au/info/info_tbc.htm
Old 01-14-2008, 03:52 AM   #5
82DV

Anton,

Going the less expensive route, do you have any opinion on the Panasonic DMR-ES15S DVD Recorder with DV Input?

Its product description includes "Time base corrector for stable, natural images."

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMR-...0282184&sr=1-2

Thanks again!
Old 01-14-2008, 05:15 PM   #6
pjsssss

It depends on what you want to do with the files. Do you want to only convert to digital (DVD's), do basic editing (mostly deleting unwanted sections), or do a bit more acvanced editing?

Anton's suggestion of the DVD recorder is the cheapest and easiest way for the first 2. Your linked recorder will do fine. If you want more editing capabilities a new computer with a DVD burner (you can easily get something in the $2,000 range), a "capture" card or converter (check GV's line of converters). You may or may not need a more advanced editing solution than what comes prebundled with a new computer. If so that will be in the $500-$1,000 range. You may or may not need a TBC. It just depends on the footage and the tape. If you are using the same camera that was used in the shooting to act as a deck to import the footage you probably will not need a TBC. Some of the GV converters act as TBC's and do a very good job of cleaning up analog footage.

After your footage is on the computer and edited you will need to "encode" it to a DVD format (Mpeg 2 usually). You may need to buy a software encoder if it is not with the computer (usually not). Anywhere from $100 to $1,000 depending on the quality and controls you want. You will also need a program to encode the audio file to AC3 (this may be included in the encoding program). Finally a program to burn the file to the DVD.

Many of these programs may be combined in a single software solution. If you need more specific info just ask.
pjsssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:29 PM   #7
antonsvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82DV View Post
Anton,

Going the less expensive route, do you have any opinion on the Panasonic DMR-ES15S DVD Recorder with DV Input?

Its product description includes "Time base corrector for stable, natural images."

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMR-...0282184&sr=1-2

Thanks again!
The Panasonic DMR series have always been excellent, you can't go wrong

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
Old 01-15-2008, 02:17 PM   #8
82DV

Thank you, Pjsssss -- your input clarifies what I need, especially if I decide to go the more expensive, higher quality route. The camera I'll be using to import footage is the same one that shot the video, and it's good to know that could make TBC less necessary.

Anton, thanks for your reply about the Panasonic DVD recorder.

Another question -- since my Sony Hi8 camera is analog and the Panasonic DMR-ES15S DVD Recorder with DV Input is digital, will I need an adaptor for them to communicate?
Old 01-15-2008, 10:53 PM   #9
antonsvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82DV View Post

Another question -- since my Sony Hi8 camera is analog and the Panasonic DMR-ES15S DVD Recorder with DV Input is digital, will I need an adaptor for them to communicate?
no, simply use the rca cables provided

Old 03-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #10
johnossy@neuf.fr

Default Converting HI8 to digital

I am no geek, but I had the same problem. I bought a Pinnacle Dazzle converter which worked well in my old computer - which had lost sound. I bought a new laptop and, thanks to Mr. Microsoft, the Dazzle is no longer compatible. Here I have run into trouble as I now am told I need to spend the same amount of money - around 60 Euros or $90 on an upgrade. However this is a lot less than other suggestions.

Have a go.

John.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC