Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 11-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #11
dpalomaki

My impression is the conversion quality will be essentially the same, but the TwinPact100 gave some additional capabilities for image correction and noise reduction that may prove useful. Read the manuals and on-line reviews to help in your decision process.

A new ADVC110 comes with warranty. The TwinPact is a discontinued product.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #12
2ball

I cant afford new when putting together my vhs to dv station, I'm looking used.

I'm a little scared of the TwinPact, because it gets awful reviews in regards to screen captures. Most reviews don't make it past that fact. The fact that is was discontinued, leads me to believe it was a failure and did not work as planned, maybe a faulty processor that can not handle the work load.

I would only be using it for analog to digital conversion and it is $40 to $50 cheaper used then the 110 used, but if it does not work, it doesn't matter if it is free.
2ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:21 AM   #13
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Most people don't understand scan conversion - and the fact that SDTV resolution is nowhere near what they are used to on their computers (even at 1024x768).
All scan conversion will look like crap if you scale the entire image down... but I digress...

The TwinPact100 was a great unit for people who actually understood the limits and application of scan conversion, like educators. But it what not a mass-market product like the ADVC5x and 1x0 series.

For analog video, yes, they are almost identical. The are some tiny differences, like the audio sync, but for a reasonable source it won't make a difference.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #14
dpalomaki

SD TV (DV/MiniDV) is 720x480 pixels and about 500 video lines of horizontal resolution potential. Thats all you get. Computer screens moved beyond that limited resolution resolution over 20 years ago. (The 1024x768 XGA standard came out in 1990.)

VHS tape playback qualty is closer to 240 video lines resolution - roughly 340 horizontal pixels some would argue - for the black and white portion of the image. It is much less (perhaps by a factor of 8) for the color portion. A really ratty image by today's standards.

When you scan convert a XGA computer screen to a SD TV signal you get a double whammy - cut the resolution to less than half as many pixels, and remap RBG color space to the TV standard.

Arguably the best way to view a VHS tape is on a well adjusted standard definition tube type TV sitting at least 3 screen diagonals distance from the screen.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #15
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
Computer screens moved beyond that limited resolution resolution over 20 years ago. (The 1024x768 XGA standard came out in 1990.)
Great perspective. :)
If that doesn't clinch it, here's the bell:
Non-widescreen 720p - the lower of our "High Definition" standards, is 960x720 pixels.
Computers had HD resolution more than a decade before living room sets!

Non-widescreen 1080p is 1440x1080. UXGA (1600x1200) also appeared on the computer scene in the mid/late 90's or very early 2000's (I can't remember).
Old 12-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #16
2ball

I am happy to hear the Twinpact100 will perform the same as the ADVC110, I just picked up a new in the box Twinpact 100 for $36, now to find a VCR.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #17
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

$36? Wow, that's a steal!!
I still have and use a TwinPact100 that I bought personally. :)
Old 12-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #18
HawaiiThad

I found the information in this thread to be extremely helpful:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...k-hardware.htm
HawaiiThad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:39 AM   #19
2ball

My twinpact should arrive any day now. I started to gear up by practicing on my miniDV camcorder. I can capture those videos without a capture device, because there already digital.

When I use Vegas, I drop frames every capture. When I redo the capture I drop frames in different places. Does that mean it probably my computer and not the tape causing me to drop frames?

When I use nerovision or Photo Gallery, I don't drop frames, but the videos don't look as good.

Also when buying a 3t harddrive, Would it be wise to get an internal so it would be hoocked up to the fast SATA as opposed to external where it would be hooked up USB2.0?
Old 12-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #20
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Internal hard drive would provide much higher bandwidth and lower CPU interruption than USB 2.0 drive.

For your capture troubles, try WinDV - it's no-nonsense and simple. It doesn't do any transcoding that other programs might.

If WinDV can't capture without dropping frames, something in your system holding up the data flow. DV is only 25 Mbps, or 3.125 MB/sec.
That's very little by today's rates.

But remember that capture is sensitive to latency. It's like drinking water from a running tap. Once you stop pulling water into your mouth, it'll spill onto your face, so you have to be able to pull some minimum.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC