Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 08-22-2019, 08:19 PM   #1
Liverpool TV

Default Edius 9 panels go missing when changing GUI/monitor resolution

Hi.

I'm wondering if anyone had come across this.

As I've recently had issues when changing the GUI/monitor resolution, with titles changing etc. depending on the monitor resolution, 1080 and 4K/UHD. I've had no option but to keep exiting and reopen projects in different GUI resolutions in order to complete certain titling tasks.

During this time I've also noticed that certain panels will go missing from the screen, presumably depending upon where they where positioned when previously opened within a certain resolution. Although I can't say for certain that this is the case.

Although I can't say for sure what causes this, it definitely happens and can mean an absolute stop to a particular project as you can't see certain important panels to proceed. The inability to save certain stuff is a pretty big show stopper.

Has anyone come across this? Is it easily fixable? Or is there an easy workaround that doesn't rely on the very tedious process of closing a project, changing the GUI resoltion, re-open project, go to said task/panel that couldn't be seen in previous resolution, change it's position and hope for the best, save the project, change the GUI resolution, re-open the project etc. etc. etc.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:43 AM   #2
antonsvideo

yes I have come across this on customers PCs with UHD desktop, I have to help them, restore, even the track header becomes super wide

the best resolution to use at 100% for EDIUS desktop is Dell 27" 2560x1440 or 30" 2560x1600 (what I use)

you will then never have to change the scaling from 100%

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 03:47 AM   #3
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
yes I have come across this on customers PCs with UHD desktop, I have to help them, restore, even the track header becomes super wide

the best resolution to use at 100% for EDIUS desktop is Dell 27" 2560x1440 or 30" 2560x1600 (what I use)

you will then never have to change the scaling from 100%
Alright Anton.

The problem is that I use UHD for a bunch of stuff, so using any other resolutions would mean a lot of switching. Plus, if I monitor in GPU on the second screen Iíd want UHD when switching between the extended timeline and pallets to full screen playback.

Thereís also a lot of issues in full screen playback with the Edius overlay with UHD. Iíd come to expect this with Edius but thought the overlay issues would have been sorted in 9. Apparently not.

Iíd first thought that it was only going to be the issue with titles (as was mentioned in the other post) but the more I look into it, thereís a fair few issues when monitoring the Edius GUI in UHD.

I can see this becoming a real chore with Edius.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Old 08-23-2019, 05:17 AM   #4
antonsvideo

ideally, you connect your UHD monitor to the 4k output of a BM card and don't use UHD for desktop, it simply breaks too many things because of scaling not at 100%, some plugin interfaces are totally useless when desktop scaling is larger than 100%

that is why I only use desktop monitors at 100% scaling and if you use 100% on a UHD screen, you will be watching ants from space

consider 2560x1600 or 2560x1440 at 100%, it is great

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro

Last edited by antonsvideo; 08-23-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:08 AM   #5
Liverpool TV

Quote:
ideally, you connect your UHD monitor to the 4k output of a BM card and don't use UHD for desktop, it simply breaks too many things because of scaling not at 100%, some plugin interfaces are totally useless when desktop scaling is larger than 100%

that is why I only use desktop monitors at 100% scaling and if you use 100% on a UHD screen, you will be watching ants from space

consider 2560x1600 or 2560x1440 at 100%, it is great
Alright Anton.

I do have my BM card attached as well but it’s also being used along with another capture card for various configurations and routings with other software, including OBS and is being used with a third monitor option.

The only real problem I’m having is Edius. Even without some of the plugins/external applications being taken into consideration and their issues with scale, the Edius GUI is causing the most headaches. It probably wouldn’t be such a hassle if Edius wasn’t the linchpin to my whole setup.

There’s simply things going on that are just woefully wrong. That whole resizing issue of QT is just mad. I don’t understand why the GUI resolution should effect that particular issue. Any titles being generated are nothing to do the with the host GUI resolution, they’re strictly part of the Edius project resolution. The internal rendering and overlaying of such things must be in relation to the project. They simply have to be because you’re working to a video output that has its own frame buffer and resolution that’s completely independent to the host’s GUI resolution and nothing to do with it.

Also, Edius’ own video output overlay that’s being drawn to the host’s GUI monitor will be completely different sizes on different setups. Everyone has their own particular layout of the Edius panels that suits their workflow. This layout, again nothing to with the host resolution, shouldn’t be impacted, but it is.

BTW Anton, please don’t think I’m trying to tell you anything that you don’t already know, I’m not, you know exactly what I’m bleating on about. This detail is more for those who don’t realise the impact to a workflow with such issues.

I appreciate that 1440 etc. works best for you, as it should because that’s what you want and as the editor you should have that option. But for anyone working at higher/different host resolutions, there shouldn’t be such restrictions being applied, especially ones that simply stop you dead in your tracks. Plus, with even higher resolutions and monitor sizes on the horizon, I can’t see UHD GUI monitoring being an uncommon choice.

I do realise that there are certain Windows’ issues that can play a part here, but only certain ones. Most of the tedium I’m experiencing is Edius bound and I dare say it’s legacy issues rearing themselves, again.

It is beyond frustrating.

Cheers,
Dave.

BTW. 1440/1600 scaled 100% does look great natively but not so much on a UHD native panel.

Old 08-24-2019, 12:53 AM   #6
antonsvideo

I really don't know if anyone is going to fix Quicktitler, I doubt it because to fix it would require a whole new titler, maybe we get on in E10?

it is not the monitor resolution that causes the issue, it is caused by the user not using the native resolution of the monitor

native resolution = 100% scaling, however you will need a magnifying glass when using a UHD mon in native resolution

Old 08-24-2019, 02:38 AM   #7
Liverpool TV

Quote:
I really don't know if anyone is going to fix Quicktitler, I doubt it because to fix it would require a whole new titler, maybe we get on in E10?

it is not the monitor resolution that causes the issue, it is caused by the user not using the native resolution of the monitor

native resolution = 100% scaling, however you will need a magnifying glass when using a UHD mon in native resolution
Alright Anton.

I would have thought that E9 would have been the perfect opportunity to have done something about QT and other legacy problems. It wouldn't surprise me if the same things are said when 10 comes out and the suggestion that 11 may fix them.

As for the resolution and scaling of UHD. I'd have to disagree with you that this issue is caused by the user not using the native resolution of the monitor. I know other people who never use 100% and for good reason. The option to use any monitor for whatever reason and its resolution, native or not, is a choice. If certain software can't perform as expected on the platform that it's designed for, I'd say that's an oversight of the software. This is clear when using other software that's been better thought out for the environments being used. Not many people will use these things the same way as the next person, so flexibility with regard a tailored personal setup is very important.

Another important thing to bear in mind is that unless people have had proper experience working with the benefits of multiple UHD monitors. The obvious gains to using such a work space can be very misunderstood. I had similar views on UHD myself and previously used ultra-wide monitoring at lower resolutions. After using UHD, I personally couldn't back down to lower resolutions. Not that there's anything wrong with lower resolutions, like I said, these things are a personal choice and none are wrong if it works for any individual and suits their workflow. Restrictions to these options is the problem, not a person's choice.

Cheers,
Dave.

Old 08-24-2019, 05:59 AM   #8
antonsvideo

you can be assured that the issues you mention have been reported several times

EDIUS looks at the screen resolution and scaling when it saves its windows positions upon exit

when you then change scaling and start EDIUS, your windows positions are destroyed and possibly outside the visible desktop

so, if you have a PC with UHD and 200% scaling and then install EDIUS, all will look normal, even your Quicktitles will be fine as long as you stay at 200% scaling and as long as you do not open old projects done with say 100% scaling

but most likely, you will need to open such projects on a regular basis, at least I do, I even installed EDIUS 6.08 the other day in order to open a project that had titlemotion titles, installed on same PC as 9WG, 6.08 and 9WG get along just fine

Old 08-24-2019, 12:17 PM   #9
Liverpool TV

Quote:
you can be assured that the issues you mention have been reported several times

EDIUS looks at the screen resolution and scaling when it saves its windows positions upon exit

when you then change scaling and start EDIUS, your windows positions are destroyed and possibly outside the visible desktop

so, if you have a PC with UHD and 200% scaling and then install EDIUS, all will look normal, even your Quicktitles will be fine as long as you stay at 200% scaling and as long as you do not open old projects done with say 100% scaling

but most likely, you will need to open such projects on a regular basis, at least I do, I even installed EDIUS 6.08 the other day in order to open a project that had titlemotion titles, installed on same PC as 9WG, 6.08 and 9WG get along just fine
Alright Anton.

Yes, youíre right, if you stay within the same resolution and scaling, certain issues will be avoided. Although, there are other legacy issues that still remain, video performance in full screen GUI monitoring mode being a big one. Even with a good GPU with a high amount of V-RAM, that particular problem still exists.

The main problem for me at the moment, aside from the legacy stuff, is the opening of previously saved projects, just as youíve described. Iím still trialing E9 with E8 on the same system. The previous E8 projects where all done at a lower GUI resolution, which means that certain issues will always be present when opening in E9 in UHD.

This is particularly frustrating as I often use elements of older projects in new ones, especially certain sequences, have a number of templated assets and more importantly title sets of which some are composited with keyframed motion.

I really hope that thereís a proper clean out of Ediusí concatenated legacy issues when 10 is introduced. Maybe there needs to be a whole re-write of Ediusí core as it seems that these unchecked issues have simply never been addressed with each new release since very early versions.

I suppose the one saving grace in all this, at least from my perspective. Is that Edius makes up for these issues by being the best NLE currently available. When working in scenarios that are unaffected by these issues, Edius is simply awesome and is perfect for what I do. I dare say that my way of working has been influenced and somewhat dictated to by Edius, for the better, and the positives massively outweigh the negatives by a substantial margin.

For now though and despite some of the great functions introduced with E9, 60FPS and H.265 etc. I canít personally justify the considerable expense to purchase EWG9, considering all the issues mentioned. I think my best option is to stay on EWG8.

Cheers,
Dave.

Old 08-24-2019, 02:07 PM   #10
Ron Evans

Tend to agree with your final conclusion Dave. When 9 came out the upgrade cost was more than buying Resolve Studio and an upgrade for Vegas. Which I did at the time. Since then Resolve has been upgraded for free several times and certainly at the moment if you really want to edit and deliver in UHD HDR as well as fully monitor what you are doing Resolve is about your only solution. In Canadian dollars the upgrade costs are still close to when I did my change. EDIUS 9WG from 8WG $592, Vegas 17 from 16 $199, Resolve Studio 16 full purchase $398.

I love EDIUS 8WG and it is still my main editor for multicam and I see no reason to change that. Don't like the way Resolve or Vegas do multicam. However when comparing resource used for UHD on my Threadripper PC EDIUS uses many times the resource ( CPU and GPU ) used by Resolve for somewhat less performance. ( admittedly I am on EDIUS 8WG not 9WG ). I will wait and see what EDIUS 10 brings of course.

Not sure this would work for your scaling issue but I have layouts named for different situations so that I can just load them when needed. I sometimes move my PC to a different ( cooler room in the summer ) and use a different smaller monitor and that is how I set up. You need to setup and save of course within each situation.

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 SATA OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS 8.53WG, Vegas 16, Resolve Studio 16

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS