Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 04-23-2019, 06:31 PM   #1
trillium

Default quick sync confusion in Edius 9

I'm confused about the use of quick sync in Edius 9.31

I've read threads here that confuse me even more, such as turning off quick sync for rendering mp4's for better performance. Could someone say definitively when to use quick sync or not and how to turn it on and off. I see no options in preferences in edius 9 for it one way or the other.

Move this thread if needs to be elsewhere but it does seem to be a frequent mention in this forum, I'm just having trouble making sense of the various threads.
trillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:53 PM   #2
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillium View Post
I'm confused about the use of quick sync in Edius 9.31

I've read threads here that confuse me even more, such as turning off quick sync for rendering mp4's for better performance. Could someone say definitively when to use quick sync or not and how to turn it on and off. I see no options in preferences in edius 9 for it one way or the other.

Move this thread if needs to be elsewhere but it does seem to be a frequent mention in this forum, I'm just having trouble making sense of the various threads.
If the correct intel driver is installed, Edius can use quicksync for decode and encode. Decode is looked after in the system setting decoder options for each file type. Encode settings are looked after by the "use hardware" checkbox in the mp4/h264 export settings dialogue. If the incorrect driver is installed, you may still see this "use hardware" checkbox, but it may not make any difference if you enable or disable it, as Edius will be using software regardless.
Edius WG 9.50.5351, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:05 AM   #3
tingsern

Hello,

I can vouch for the EDIUS 9 encoding to MP4 without Quicksync. If i use a source video of 15 minutes - and "Print to File" with hardware encoder ON - it takes about 7 minutes (15 / 2) to encode. Doing the same task with hardware encoder OFF - takes less than 1 minute. This of course is running on the highest speed XEON chip from Intel.
Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema
tingsern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:57 AM   #4
Jerry

Are you switching from the Quadro card to the Intel when you export(This is based on your system in signature)? If the Quadro is active, you will not get QS encode, decode. If the Intel is selected and you have the correct driver, QS should work.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:14 AM   #5
David Clarke

Quick Sync decoding just helps. I don't think I have ever had the need to turn it off and I can get better performance in EDIUS using H.264 footage with it on. This is set in systems settings - importer/exporter-avchd, where you should see a tick box of "use hardware decoder"

It does appear under other formats as well.

Encoding
QS encoding is generally faster. It does depend on your processor, EDIUS version and timeline. More recent processors (like the i9 9900K) are so fast that the encoding without QS is about the same speed as the encoding with QS if using the later versions of EDIUS 8 or EDIUS 9. EDIUS 7 software encoding is still slower than QS. This is because the encoding of H.264 without QS got better in EDIUS 8/9.

The EDIUS software encoding is also better quality than QS, but not noticeably if your bit rates are high.

The processor version also matters. Skylake and later processors can do 4K better than earlier ones for example.

Timeline
What is on the timeline is important too. If you just have the Intel GPU (I.e. no nVidia or ATI as well) and you have some GPU effects like Vitascene on the timeline, this can make QS encoding really slow as it does both Vitascene and the encoding. Ideally you have an nVidia/ATI to do the GPU effects and an Intel to do the encoding/decoding of H.264.

Footage
It also depends if you have footage that is saved in H.264/265 (like AVCHD or some MOVs) and need to make it. If all your footage is ProRes, for example, and you are making a DVD, QS is not help.

This is all separate to whether QS is actually working properly. The best way to see if it is working at all is either:
  • In Windows 10 open the task manager and see if the Intel GPU is being used when encoding.
  • If you have EDIUS 9 try exporting to H.265. If it says you don't have the hardware for this QS is not working.
There are loads of threads about trying to make it work.[/LIST]
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:22 PM   #6
tingsern

Thanks ... I have to go back and check the P72 hardware. I set in the BIOS to use DISCRETE GRAPHICS instead of HYBRID - so Windows 10 does not even see the INTEL GPU. I will verify and come back.
Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema
Old 04-24-2019, 01:23 PM   #7
David Clarke

On a laptop you have to use both and generally have to right click on the EDIUS icon and choose "run with graphics processor" and choose Intel. That may not even be an option with a Xeon based laptop. I am pretty sure it does not appear if you have an ATI graphics card.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
Old 04-24-2019, 06:44 PM   #8
tingsern

I have submitted a support email to Lenovo asking them about the Intel Device Driver for enabling QuickSync. The XEON chip has the hardware on it - but EDIUS (H.265) says h/w is not available - so as you said - it is the device driver issue. I tried upgrading the INTEL Graphics device driver from Intel - but - the upgrading program checks and fails the upgrade. So - it is back to Lenovo.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:20 AM   #9
David Clarke

I have seen some Xeon chips with Intel GPUs in the, so this may be one. However, the laptop may not be able to use it. On a desktop you can plug a screen into each graphics card. You can't do this on a laptop.
I have had laptops that have an Intel GPU in them and they just can't use it. My laptop that has a desktop processor cannot access the Intel GPU at all (this has an nVidia 1060 in it). An HP laptop model that could access the Intel GPU is most configurations could not do so if you bought it with a dreamcolour screen. Models with ATI main GPUs could not access the Intel either.
You'll have to wait and see if they say it is possible.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:36 PM   #10
trillium

Thanks for the feedback guys. I generally leave hardware encode unchecked as I thought this was for specific rendering cards. I'll run through some of the encode options and see what work. Yet, it would be good to see a specific do's and don'ts just to avoid confusion- this thread helps!
trillium is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS