Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 09-09-2007, 08:05 AM   #1
flickapolitan

Default best cpu for now

ok so if you could chose the best configuration without worrying about future proofing what is the best choice.
as edius does not use quad core now there seams to be no advantage for the present
love to hear your thoughts
flickapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:07 AM   #2
Gordon B

I don't know about Edius not using Quad Core! I have just installed a new Asus MB and Quad core CPU and when I monitor it's activity in Task Manager whist capturing/editing/playing HD, all the cores are active. In fact, as I mentioned on another post, the CPU usage during HD activity is only around 20%. Edius runs HD like a dream, no glitches, no stuttering, just perfect operation all the time, it's my best ever upgrade.

Gordon.
Gordon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:26 AM   #3
flickapolitan

thats great all i have heard is the edius is not yet using 4 cores, would be great to get a answer from grass vally
flickapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
jonandmarkuk

Where have you heard that Eduis doesn't use Quad cores? And didn't you already ask this question in another tread which has the same answer that nobody has heard that Edius doesn't use Quad cores?

Do you work for some rival company or something trying to spread rumours that Edius doesn't work on Quad cores? lol
jonandmarkuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:21 PM   #5
rando

Default Edius and Quad cores

Edius's lack of quad core usage is been on this forum for a while. Its pretty well known same as (and more importantly in my book) is ProCoders lack of multi-core usage. Id like to see some numbers Edius/ProCder 2 core vs 4 core speeds. Im sure it uses some of the 3 and 4 core but how much? and does it make a difference?
rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:18 PM   #6
rsn108

That Edius or Procoder doesn't use 4 cores but only 2 has been stated loud and clear a number of times. I'd really like to hear from Grass Valley when support for 4 cores will officially be introduced. Apparently Vegas uses 4 cores.
rsn108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:21 PM   #7
jonandmarkuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn108 View Post
stated loud and clear a number of times.
I just haven't seen anything on the forum, thats all. I even did a search and found nothing about Quad core support or not as the case maybe.

Even so if it doesn't support it now, why not buy a Quad core as Edius I'm sure will be updated to use it in the future.

Grass Valley could do with responding and clearing up an confusion.
Lets not forget this is Quad Core on a single CPU NOT a true 2 or 4 CPU system there is a difference. Edius may only support 2 CPU setups not cores.
jonandmarkuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:20 PM   #8
Zorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando View Post
Its pretty well known same as (and more importantly in my book) is ProCoders lack of multi-core usage.
It's not completely lacking. Just use the 'Preview DVD Target'. That target uses all cores in the machine.
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:33 PM   #9
Gordon B

As I stated above, I have checked in Task Manager whilst running Edius 4.51c in HD and all the cores are active and running at around 20%, I am not imagining this, also capture and playback is fantastic, that must have something to do with the Quad CPU.
Gordon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:25 PM   #10
STORMDAVE

I'm sure capturing into HQ uses alot more CPU power, but during playback, I don't think Edius has a "smart engine" where it uses lets say 2 filters for 1 core and a keyer on a second core etc. Speed Encoder will also use All cores.

If I was building a lower end computer, I'd grab a Q6600 and overclock it to 3.0. But that's just me. I like to have future proof computers.
STORMDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS