Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 07-04-2017, 05:46 PM   #1
jeff8

Default Computer specs for 4k editing

I currently use Edius pro 8 and I am diving into editing 4k. I would like a new computer and saw one with these specs
Processor & Memory:
7th Gen Intel Core i7-7700K Processor 4.2GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM (4 slots, 64GB Max)

Drives:
3TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive + 240GB Solid State Drive
DVD-RW (Writes to DVD/CD)

Operating System:
Microsoft® Windows 10 Professional

Graphics & Video:
8GB NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 Graphics

Communications:
10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN

Audio:
Integrated High Definition Channel Audio Processing

Keyboard & Mouse:
USB RGB 7 Color Gaming Keyboard
USB Gaming Mouse

Expandability (Total Slots):
2x 5.25" External
2x 3.5" Internal
2X 2.5" Internal
2x PCI-E x16
2x PCI-E x1
4x DIMM 288-pin

I/O Ports & Slots:
1x PS/2 Style
6x USB 3.0 (2x Front, 4x Rear)
2x USB 2.0 (2x Rear)
1x 6-in-1 Audio Jack
1x HDMI

Additional Information:
800W Liquid Cooled
Dimensions : 19.7” x 18.7” x 8.6”

Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution Included : Protect your dream system during transit.

Brand: CyberPowerPC
Computer Type: Gaming Desktop
Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Hard Drive Size: 3 TB
Monitor Included: No
Operating System: Windows 10 Professional
Optical Drive: DVD-RW
Processor: Intel Core i7
RAM Included: 32 GB
SSD Size: 240 GB

Would this be sufficient for 2-3 layers of 4k at 150mbs footage only at 29.97?
jeff8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:37 PM   #2
jeff8

Quote:
Originally Posted by More4K View Post
It should be fine as this CPU has Intel GPU, so your h264 decoding will be on hardware.
I think people reported that 2-3 layers work fine. Try searching.
Nvidia GPU is quite expensive- you can swap to something cheaper if you really want to save money. If you not going to use other GPU hungry apps, Edius won't use this GPU that much (except for some 3rd party GPU based filters). In the same time this GPU is bit future proof, so this is good.
Thanks More4k
Old 07-04-2017, 11:26 PM   #3
THoff

I would also look at upgrading from Pro to Broadcast so you can drop the resolution for editing. Editing three 4K streams off a single spinning rust drive is asking a lot.
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:47 AM   #4
David Clarke

Like More4K says you don't need a graphics card that powerful but don't drop it too low either as the overlay probably won't work properly at 4K. I would suggest a 1060. Getting the 1070 won't hurt and will be useful for other programs.

You will need two screens - one on the nVidia and one on the Intel graphics card (using the motherboard sockets) otherwise you will not get the hardware assisted playback. This is only for H.264 video which I assume your 150Mbs video is using. Results are different with other formats, like ProRes.

You will get 2-3 layers- which means it will struggle on 3 layers sometimes, so get the Workgroup version of EDIUS - which is what Thoff means by "broadcast". With Workgroup you can drop the playback quality if needed. A great time saver, especially for those times when you dip into 4 layers of video or add some other effects to some of the streams which are playing at once. My last music video had 3 layers all merging into one clip at the same time but all had grading, chrominance filters etc as well, and I could only play them by dropping the playback resolution in the Workgroup version.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:12 PM   #5
THoff

Doh!

Yes, years of typing "Broadcast" is a hard habit to break -- it should have been "Workgroup". :)
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:49 AM   #6
jeff8

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clarke View Post
Like More4K says you don't need a graphics card that powerful but don't drop it too low either as the overlay probably won't work properly at 4K. I would suggest a 1060. Getting the 1070 won't hurt and will be useful for other programs.

You will need two screens - one on the nVidia and one on the Intel graphics card (using the motherboard sockets) otherwise you will not get the hardware assisted playback. This is only for H.264 video which I assume your 150Mbs video is using. Results are different with other formats, like ProRes.

You will get 2-3 layers- which means it will struggle on 3 layers sometimes, so get the Workgroup version of EDIUS - which is what Thoff means by "broadcast". With Workgroup you can drop the playback quality if needed. A great time saver, especially for those times when you dip into 4 layers of video or add some other effects to some of the streams which are playing at once. My last music video had 3 layers all merging into one clip at the same time but all had grading, chrominance filters etc as well, and I could only play them by dropping the playback resolution in the Workgroup version.
Thank you for your valuable info.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories