Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 11-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #1
Jim N

Default 4K Editing and Thunderbolt 2

From what I can make out on this forum, the two biggest concerns about using external TB2 I/O devices are a slight lag in responsiveness (but they're still basically OK) and a worry about sufficient band width for less compressed material ( TB2 is meant to have good bandwidth specs but no device ever meets its theoretical specs). As a negative bonus, BMD cards have also been reported to generally crush blacks during analogue capture!

AJA have their IO 4K and BMD have their Ultra Studio 4K. Assuming I am dealing with an all digital workflow I can discount the BMD crushed blacks problem so which box would you choose.

In theory the BMD box will also display Resolve and now Fusion as well as Adobe CC. Is there any reason to go for the AJA IO 4K?

Anyone using these 4K TB2 boxes and happy with them?

Jim
Jim N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
Adbear

Well the BM Ultrastudio 4K V2 still doesn't have the higher framerate UHD settings that they advertised over a year ago, so you can't do higher than UHD @30p. I keep getting the run around about when it will be available. Also on some TB sockets the V10.x drivers stop the box from working and you have to roll back to the 9.9.x drivers to get it to work again which is a problem as you need the later V10.x drivers to use it in AfterFX CC 2014

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories