Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 01-23-2017, 06:59 PM   #1
marco

Default CPU for editing 4K

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the best specs for a single cpu pc for 4k editing.
Do you think that a workstation with a CPU i7-6900K 3,20 gHz LGA2011-V3 20MB Cache, 24GB DDR4, SSD system disk, 2 7200 2TB HDD in raid0, will work for edit 2 layer of 4k video in real time with edius8 ?

Thanks in advance
marco
marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:11 PM   #2
mark williams

This is what I have on order after much research to edit 4K on a low budget. I do mainly one video stream, cuts, dissolves, and minor color correction.

- Carbide Series Clear 400C Compact w/ Window, Case
- Z170-A, Intel Z170 Chipset, LGA 1151, Motherboard
- Core i7-6700K Quad-Core 4.0 - 4.2GHz
- 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) Ballistix Sport LT® DDR4 2400MHz Memory
- SuperNOVA Series 550 G2 550W, Power Supply
- Shadow Rock Slim, CPU Cooler
- 250GB 960 EVO , M.2 SSD system drive
- 250GB 850 EVO SSD video storage drive plus already owned SSD's
- Windows 10 Home 64-bit DVD OEM
- Use onboard graphics to run Edius 8 Workgroup to monitor. Add graphics card if necessary.
- Use Blackmagic 4K Intensity pro card to preview/realtime monitor.
http://www.pond5.com/artist/mark29
Edius 8 WG, i7 6700K, Asus 170-A mobo, 16 GB Ram, System 960 Evo M.2, Video multiple 850 Evo SSDs, Shadow Rock Slim cpu cooler, On board graphics, Corsair 400c case, HD Spark, Windows 10, Panasonic GH5

Last edited by mark williams; 01-24-2017 at 03:47 PM.
mark williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:48 PM   #3
Liverpool TV

Hi Marco.

It all depends on the type of editing you are going to be doing and effects etc.

If you are into what I call 'drama type cutting', by that I mean a few timeline tracks and only one active video element at any one time, then a modest system will do this. My main system, just like a number of signatures on the forum, is based around a 4790K i7. I also use a bog standard, no fancy features, Z97 motherboard, being a Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H. Unlike most users, I only use 8GB of Balistix Sport, and it's all that's needed for Edius and my DAW software. This system easily handles bog standard UHD codecs, XAVC variants etc. HQ/X and a few other NLE system codecs. I do a bit of colouring, dissolves and use layouter. If I start tipping the CPU over, I drop the playback resolution on E8WG and stay realtime, then switch back to full for final renders. I've not tried Red or Uncompressed etc.

If you are wanting to go mad with compositing or loads of filters or more esoteric codecs, then your hardware requirements will be a lot more. If you plan on using other software, this would also be a consideration for your hardware, GPU, RAM, CPU etc. But if it's Edius only, you don't have to over spend.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:46 AM   #4
marco

Mark and Dave
thanks a lot for your advice!

So I suppose that the 8 cores of the i7-6900k vs the 4 cores of the i7-6700k will give better performance for real time editing. Does the 6900k worth the money?

thanks
marco
marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:09 AM   #5
David Clarke

It also depends on the footage. For example it is really hard to get EDIUS to playback ProRes 4K footage. With the processor you mentioned I could manage just about 2 layers of ProRes buy 4-5 layers of Grass Valley HQX.

Or is it H.264 based footage? I can manage about 3 layers of that on the 6900K but I can do nearly as well on a Skylake/Kaby lake i7 because it uses Quick Sync to help the playback (and is a bit cheaper than the 6900K).
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:30 AM   #6
David Clarke

But they are not. I can play more layers of GV HQX than I can ProRes.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:09 PM   #7
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clarke View Post
But they are not. I can play more layers of GV HQX than I can ProRes.
This is exactly right. I've always found this to be the case and regardless of the CPU.

As David has said, you will get more streams with the more powerful modern CPUs depending upon the codecs, and lower powered CPUs with QS will still work quite well if using h.264 based codecs.

I mostly use HQ/X and h.264 codecs. For me personally it's not worth upgrading beyond the 4790K, for what I do, as similarly positioned modern i7s wouldn't give me the performance boost that would justify a new MB, CPU and RAM.

Plus the combination of the 4790K and a my Z97 MB allows me to use multiple operating systems. I use Win 10, Mac Seirra, Linux and a couple of others. This would be harder to do or not possible on certain modern CPU and MB combinations.

If I were building a new machine right now to do what I do, and not overly concerned about multi booting. I would go for the 4790K equivalent in the modern range, as per David's suggestion.

My next upgrade, if required because of codecs and filter/processing requirements etc. would be something with a higher core count. This would serve beyond Edius and help to do more and speed up a number of tasks.

As has been said, it's really down to what you are doing and what you are using.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:41 PM   #8
Rmhs

Default Searching for a strong 4k beast

Hi I'm a bit in a hurry done a lot of home work and got myself confused

I'm searching for a strong machine that edits in 4k more than 5 layers real time in edius 7.5 and 8 and above ..with very fast rendering times....
My additional need is to have after effects and photoshop installed on the same machine.......got myself confused between Intel and amd ryzen 8 cores and all stuff around...

Can someone here please give me a full spec for best machine including mother board cpu gpu ssd nvme or other hard drives etc...

Thanks a lot for attention and complete answers..
Rmhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:45 PM   #9
AlbertGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmhs View Post
Hi I'm a bit in a hurry done a lot of home work and got myself confused

I'm searching for a strong machine that edits in 4k more than 5 layers real time in edius 7.5 and 8 and above ..with very fast rendering times....
My additional need is to have after effects and photoshop installed on the same machine.......got myself confused between Intel and amd ryzen 8 cores and all stuff around...

Can someone here please give me a full spec for best machine including mother board cpu gpu ssd nvme or other hard drives etc...

Thanks a lot for attention and complete answers..
If your source is h,264 4k, 5 layers plus may be wishful thinking on any PC I know of unless you transcode to an edit friendly intermediate codec.

Regarding Ryzen, you will obviously lose the advantage of Intel Graphics and QuickSync (QSV) in Edius.

Adobe is the only NLE I've seen tested Intel vs Ryzen and test results are interesting here:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...rformance-909/

My planned upgrade is i7-7700k (overclocked to 5ghz), Asus Prime Z270-A m/board, 32GB DDR4 3200ghz, GTX1070, SSD1 (Win10 and app software), SSD2 for current projects, WD 4TB HDD.

I chose the Kaby Lake 7700K because the gpu has h.265 10 bit hardware decoding which I'm hoping to see in Edius. Here is more on the graphics hardware encode/decode capabilities.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10959/...00k-i3-7350k/6

Please let us know what you decide on and how it performs.
Al

Last edited by AlbertGS; 04-03-2017 at 04:54 PM.
AlbertGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:47 AM   #10
Rmhs

What about the amd ryzen 1700 or 1800 is it good for edius 7.5 or 8?
Rmhs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories