Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 05-18-2018, 06:58 AM   #21
mihaicraciun

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
would you believe that 95% of Win laptops sold in Australian stores are loaded with Win10 Home, I wonder why?
:) That s good point ! Anyone who thinks a little will know ! :)
mihaicraciun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:01 AM   #22
mihaicraciun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_PS View Post
Let's quit making continual comments on the OS. They all have been well documented and people are free to use what they want.
It's a OK to make comments...It's not wrong...
If they listen to us they can become better! It's constructive is not destructive!
The only thing to consider is that we should discuss OS issues on their forums more and less here. Do not you think? Do you think I think illogically?

Last edited by mihaicraciun; 05-18-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:05 AM   #23
mihaicraciun

Our goal is to find solutions and to respect each other ...
That's why I am in this forum ... And in 99.9% this is happening on this forum!
That's why I thank you!

PS: Respect, David Clarke !

Last edited by mihaicraciun; 05-18-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:13 AM   #24
David Clarke

Glad it worked. This option has always been there BTW so all that happened is the default has probably changed. It is probably an nVidia update rather than the OS so maybe nVidia is to blame!

I actually use the "run with graphics processor" a lot since I can choose if I want Quick Sync and worse performance on GPU effects or nVidia and better GPU stuff for VisTitle etc and just restart when it comes to export.

It is not on all laptops. I have one which has a desktop i7 processor inside it (as opposed to a laptop processor) and that cannot use the Intel graphics at all.

There is a reason to force people to run Windows updates. I have seen computer security experts saying that the no 1 way to protect your machine on the internet is to keep it up to date - ahead of anti-virus etc. People were not doing this - we had a major cyber attack in the Uk last year which affected hospitals etc and this was blamed on not keeping machines up to date. Since the majority of the world is "computer ignorant" keeping them up to date automatically is a good thing. It is just a shame you can't choose to defer updates in Windows home.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:09 AM   #25
mihaicraciun

Right, David !

Once again, thank you !

PS:
1. nVidia can not do updates without I know. Restricted by me. :)
2. There is a reason to force people to run Windows updates." - YES ! I always choose what updates to make, but when it comes for OS, the april update was big. I've done it !
Old 05-18-2018, 01:13 PM   #26
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihaicraciun View Post
BernH: "It seems that OP is not used to using systems that are designed around" qualified hardware / software configurations, "and the fault is on Grass Valley for Microsoft defects. Really? :) Are you sure ? How do you know? :)
I made that statement because of your insistence that everything should always be on the latest software versions and because I have been building edit systems for almost 25 years, 14 of which I worked directly as a system integrator for a dealer of Avid, Matrox, Newtek, Pinnacle, Canopus (which was bought by Grass Valley), Adobe, and a few other companies that no longer exist, and the other 11 as a technician in a post production facility. From all those years of building and maintaining systems and integrating them into larger facility setups, I know that there is often an approved/qualified setup that requires that versions be kept at the approved ones for the reasons of reliability and stability, until the NLE manufacturer has time to test and respond to the changes in the OS.

While I don't know for sure your background, your insistence of having to have things on the newest versions at all times, does go against the stability and reliability rationale I just mentioned, which is something that a person used to dealing with the "qualified" issues would not be insisting on.

Once again, I do agree with you that an update to one thing should not break another, and end users should not have to worry about such things or try to find fixes, but the reality of the matter is that they do often break other things, so for system stability and reliability, it is often better to refrain from installing the latest updates, until someone else has had a chance to test and report or fix things. If you do wish to always be at the newest version of Win10, that is entirely up to you. I simply wanted to make the point that doing so has caused problems for people in the past, and I'm sure it will continue to do so.

Quote:
BernH:"I'm just trying to emphasize the implications of their choices in using Win 10 Home." - who told you I was using Home? no one ! so? And is it right? Does Edius not work on Home Edition? :)
I gave you a link that covered Win 10 Home and Pro. I did not mean to imply that you are on Home, and I'm sorry if it seemed like that, but I was trying to illustrate the the differences between the versions regarding the update policies.

Quote:
[B]BernH:...."and the fault is on Grass Valley for Microsoft defects." - This is a bad statement! Maybe I do not want to complicate myself and I want it to be easy as it promises to be.
Please, see who the real guilt is and do not blame me ... Just think of making a bad statement ...
I was not blaming you for the faults of the software manufacturers. This was in response to your statement:
Quote:
They have to think about this problem ! It's not for the first time !

Maybe Grass and Microsoft should "talk" more to not put us in this position !
I agree, communication between developers is important, but once again, from my years of building systems, I learned long ago that a company is primarily concerned with their own product. Microsoft's concern is Windows, and while their updates are all about windows stability and security, and they may try to release information to the other developers like Grass Valley, you have to remember that there are many other companies out there just like Grass Valley, that run on top of Windows. If Microsoft had to collaborate with every company that makes a windows software product and try to ensure that their update never broke another software before releasing an update, we would hardly ever see an update. So the process becomes OS update > 3rd party update in response, instead of the more desirable simultaneous updates.

Once again, I'm sorry if I "ruffled you feathers". It was not my intentions.
Edius WG 9.20.3340 & 8.53.3262, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Seagate system HDD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600)
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:45 PM   #27
mihaicraciun

To my new friend, Bernh:

We make peace even if there is no war :)

I agree with everything you said and DETAILED (not like the first time). It is good not to leave room for interpretations.

I worked in television from 1998 to 2013 (linear and nonlinear, several systems) and the same time in particular as my business. I did not want to tell here about... I'm a normal person that wants normal things :) Congratulations for your bkg ! (for real)

I've hit all the problems described by you, and I agree, yes! It happened !
If we hit so many problems it might be the case to get rid of them, to have fewer, one by one ... in time.

But, still ... 2018 ... I want to be more "comfortable" for us ... I ask too much? :)

Thank you for your answer! I'm glad that you've made time and patience to answer me and others who read this thread.

Everything was wonderful in your message..until the end: << I'm sorry if I broke your feathers >> (you did it !) :)

"Feathers" are there ... without any damages! :))

I am not mad at all! We're just people ... in the end!

I look forward to contributing to the future as Edius users to use it in the best possible conditions!

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS