Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 06-30-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
Spready

Default Left and Right Audio?

Sorry - can't find this elsewhere (and I did look)!

Clip on timeline - open up Audio and see the separate Audio waveforms, one on top of each other.
Which one is Left and which one is right?

For those interested - the reason why I ask is that when I was testing a new setup, and capturing another PC screen and audio - I would click on the test audio button within windows and it would play a little tune through the left and then the right speak on my playback PC. When I capture it via Edius - it is the other way around!!!!!
I have a 4x4 switcher in between so knowing exactly what I should be seeing will help!

Cheers

Last edited by Spready; 06-30-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Spready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:36 AM   #2
Rusty

On pro cameras they're indicated as channels 1, 2, etc.
L/R is less relevant and switchable in Edius.

Not to say there's a right or wrong way for your setup, but Edius may not be the best setup tool for a new PC.

A quick Goggling found this..
for a surround test.

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
Twain - "Glances at History" 1906
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
Spready

Default Thanks Rusty

I will take a screenshot later and explain it a little better!
(was tired last night and now have urgent job on!)

David
Old 07-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
Spready

Default Image!

I have to capture PC Screens and use either pegasus or a scan converter.
I have a number of items in the connections and just need to know what way round Edius displays the stereo audio.
What should be left - the top waveform or the bottom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg audio.jpg (195.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 07-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
SoundFreak
Banned

Out of the box any software, even Edius is always top or up = left, bottom or down = right.

To check, simply make a clip (or colobar with 1 Khz tone) with one channel audio, doesn't matter left or right and use 2 other players to confirm on playback, i.e windows media player & other.

If other players switch the channel then inside Edius mapping is used, either intentionally or by accident, it's that simple.
SoundFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
Spready

Default Thanks Rusty

Cheers Tony,

That has made sense - something i didn't know
Thanks for responding
David
Old 07-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #7
SoundFreak
Banned

According to the audio bibble, Edius is not able to make use of a ASIO multichannel driver for multichannel audio playback, therefore it is considered a stereo capable editor, and a left or right output termanology is in order.

Despite the multi track mixing capabilities where often ODD & EVEN is used or track numbers, Edius is capable of mixing and outputting surround sound projects, but with no means to monitor more than 2 channels at the same time is kinda pointless to call it surround sound capable as you can't mix any proper level between the 5.1 or 7.1 channels.

The reason why I mention 2 channels and not L + R is simply because you could mapp the surround channels to output of your liking (like Rusty mentioned above)
I would like to say, versatile yet half baked.

Last edited by SoundFreak; 07-01-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #8
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundFreak View Post
Despite the multi track mixing capabilities where often ODD & EVEN is used or track numbers, Edius is capable of mixing and outputting surround sound projects, but with no means to monitor more than 2 channels at the same time is kinda pointless to call it surround sound capable as you can't mix any proper level between the 5.1 or 7.1 channels.
Actually, you can monitor 8 discrete channels if you have the EDIUS HD system and use AES/EBU output.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #9
Spready

Default Fixed

Cheers for all the help as always.
Firstly, as I have a number of different capture workflows - this issue prompted me to align all my audio channels correctly.
Some were outputting left and Right and then being recorded as right and left.
(This is important as some CCTV systems record audio but don't use two seperate channels. They have one and put one camera on left and one on right!
(Bizzare - I know)...Anyway, this all started because i could not get left audio to come through and reach my JVC DV700 DVD recorder.
(and the Moral of the story is check the obvious and easy first)...
After going through every connector and every device. I noticed a button with 'Audio' on the Remote Control. By clicking this it changes the audio to either left/right/off or stereo!
You an imagine the language!!

Oh well - tomorrow is another day!
David
Old 07-02-2010, 01:56 AM   #10
SoundFreak
Banned

I have 2 Motu's with 40+ outputs capable of 24Bit/192Khz, lightpipe and ADAT, also 4 discrete AES/EBU outputs, no digital audio out of Edius, must be a propriety thing then :)

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS