Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder

Old 12-31-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
cmedico

Default H264 and Procoder 3, My adventurers

I bought Procoder 3 to help me on a large transcoding project I will be starting in January. Its been a struggle to get working as expected based on reading the ad material and talking to GV sales ahead of the purchase. I've had some MOV files that would not open and convert but others would work OK. What I have found is the version of Quicktime you have loaded can be a problem with different MOV files.

I have tested video from the ContourHD cameras (they use the Ambarella AVC encoder) and the Canon 7D (they use a Canon encoder).

Video from the ContourHD camera will not work if QT version 7.1 or higher is loaded on your system. The files will not open and you will get an error. Video from the Canon 7D will not load UNLESS you have QT 7.1 or higher loaded. The error varies depending on which Procoder interface you are using (job que manager vs the main interface).

I have tried EVERY version of QT available between 7.03 and 7.5. None work with both of these cameras at the same time.

QT will play files from both cameras in all versions above 7.1. Procoder will only open files from either depending on the version of QT you have loaded.

I will be testing video from the Canon HF100 shortly. I expect it to be similar to the 7D since they both use the same encoder. I will also be testing to see if the color shift issue reported in another thread can be linked to any specific version of QT. That is going to take a bit longer to do though.

I'm left with a few questions:
1. Is it a QT problem or a Procoder problem?
2. Does GV support try the different versions of QT to know which ones work and which ones don't?
3. Why is there no guidance for this on the website or help files?

Very confusing.

Chris Medico
cmedico is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder