Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 03-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
plasma_video

Default ADVC700 Intermittant Dropouts

We have laptop editors using EDIUS in our ENG trucks. We use 1394 firewire from the laptops to ADVC700s. From the composite NTSC output of the 700 we go to a switcher and then to a microwave transmitter. We also have NTSC monitors on the output of the 700s.

We're having issues where the video will suddenly go to black for brief periods of time, somewhere around 5 to 15 frames in length.

It's random, does not appear to be related to anything on the timeline, and the Edius buffered playback is working. We do not see the dropouts on the Edius overlay, but we do see them on the NTSC output from the ADVC700, leading me to think it's within either the 1394 or the 700 itself.

It's also happening on all of the truck installations. As you can imagine, it's driving the news folks nuts, as they will be feeding a story back, and it can be filled with these dropouts.

We've tried both internal and external sync in the 700s with the same results.

Any ideas floating around?

Tom
plasma_video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

If you have a DV camera/deck, try playing a known-good recording (tape), connecting it in place of the laptop. That'll point to or eliminate EDIUS as a cause.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
plasma_video

Brandon, that's a great idea. I'll bring in my DV Cam and try that.

I haven't had a chance to check the laptop, but I've considered the possiblity of something with the 1394 ports. The laptops are all identical, so there may be a common driver or conflict error in them. Hooking the DV camera to that port and using Edius to ingest some video from that DV cam might also give me a clue if it fails or has the same dropout issue.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:08 AM   #4
SoundFreak
Banned

It would be wise to disable the 1394 adapter from your network connections.

Windows and any form of software firewall will randomly scan this adapter if it is included in any network / internet settings (windows default)

I had audio related firewire issues before, after reverting the 1394 drivers back to XP SP1 and adding a SidSpeed entry to the registry it was all resolved.
SoundFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:35 PM   #5
plasma_video

Tony,

That was going to be my next step this morning. I had vaguely remembered reading about that somewhere and was going to do a net search.

I spent a lot of time watching the feeds coming in yesterday, and realize there are some other issues as well, so there is a lot to sort out. Can't say yet whether they are related or not.

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:27 AM   #6
SoundFreak
Banned

I would first follow Brandon's advice and use a Cam or Deck to play out some footage, then, if possible try Edius to run from a good working lap top / desk top system, good luck with the other issues ..............
SoundFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #7
plasma_video

Well, I removed the 1394 net connection, and did some other tweaks and on the test setup, and the problem apparently still persisted.

I hooked the DV Cam to the ADVC700 and it works bi-directionally perfectly. I next hooked the laptop up to the camera, and I saw the problem one time. However, the problem is so intermittant, I can't 100% draw the conclusion that it's something in the laptop, but it's looking more that way. Whatever it is, it's occurring in 4 identical installations.

My next test will be to remove the ADVC700 and put a ADVC110 in it's place in one truck and let them try that for a few days. While they are doing that, I'm going to setup a test bench in the shop with one of the laptops and an ADVC700 and see if I can find something in the laptop config. It's really a wierd problem.

I can't find anything in Edius Broadcast that would make any difference to tweak. Everything is pretty much at factory default. The only thing that we are doing that's a bit different is we are doing everything in DV SD 16:9. I guess one more test I could try is doing an SD 4:3 project and see if it still happens, but I can't imagine that would have anything in the world to do with it.

I've also tried the ADVC700 in external, internal and advanced sync with no difference.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #8
THoff

Try feeding the ADVC from the laptop using a simple app like WinDV. That would potentially let you rule out Edius.
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #9
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

They're using 59.94 (29.97 fps timebase) DV, and not 23.98 or something like that, right?
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:21 PM   #10
plasma_video

Correct. It's the same template we use in our main edit bays inside the station - 16:9 SD 59.94i. The video looks fine at every step with the exception of these dropouts. Back at the station, the video from the microwave receivers goes either to tape or directly into an edit bay and into an Edius workstation through a router, and the video is perfect with the exception of the occasional dropouts.

The acquisition format is P2 from the Panasonic field cameras - the same as in the main edit bays.

I really am suspicious that there is a process running on those laptops in the background that is creating the problem, but I haven't found anything yet. I've done some of the obvious stuff like turn off power save modes, etc. Again, the video looks great with none of the black dropouts on the overlay in Edius.

Well, I'm devoting next week to hunt this thing down, and I'll sure report what I find. I definitely will try another editing app to see if that makes a difference. I'm taking this thing one step at a time in between other emergencies.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Last edited by plasma_video; 03-27-2009 at 09:31 PM.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC