Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 11-22-2019, 12:57 AM   #1
OneQuickSix

Unhappy Edius Suddenly Acting Bizarre -- Jerky Playback in Overlay and Audio Drift

I have been using Edius since version 1 and and am currently on Version 7, and have never had these problems. I have tried to figure out what may have changed on my system, and am dumbfounded at this point. Here is what is happening, and I would greatly appreciate any help getting things back to normal:
  1. Getting stuttering -- as in not smooth playback -- especially noticeable during a tracking or panning shot. Verified it is definitely not in the recording, used multiple sources, file-types, and frame rates. Project always matches file frame rates. Never had this happen before. It is also happening on my external monitor (via HDMI). Used to get flawless playback (or as close to flawless an overlay can be anyway.)

2. Also, now video is going out of sync with audio. Will start out fine, but then the video drifts out of sync … usually within 10 seconds (or less), and gradually gets worse. (The video is lagging the audio.) NEVER had sync issues before. Tested with a project with dialogue that I edited back over the summer, and know it was fine, but now it is not. So it is not the files, etc. It is something with Edius/computer.
  3. Finally, also notice that even though the buffer is very healthy (in most instances COMPLETELY FULL), the timeline will start filling with the red bars indicating that rendering is needed. This definitely is not right. This is so bizarre.

So ... here is what I have tried and notes/thoughts on the issue to hopefully save any back-and-forth on diagnoses:
  • All of this just came out of the clear blue, definitely did NOT have these issues before. And it is happening in Edius 6.08 as well, so it’s not an Edius 7 issue as I originally suspected. And it is NOT because they are both installed, as I have had both installed for a LONG time, with zero issues. I am also noticing the stuttering video overlay problem on 2 of my 3 monitors when playing in various media players. HOWEVER, the monitor that does not exhibit a problem (main monitor with task bar) does still exhibit the problem in Edius.
  • This is leading me to believe it is an overlay issue. I don't think a GPU driver update is the culprit, however, because this driver is over a year old. But possible it was corrupted I guess, but display, games, etc. are fine save for the aforementioned playback on secondary monitors -- suspect that MIGHT be an issue with their connection types possibly.
  • It’s not overclocking related, turned that off.
  • It’s not the HD (RAID-0), nothing with that has changed. Checked drive speed, and it jives with others' reported speeds with RAID-0 caviar black drives in all categories (Seq, 512, 4k, etc.)
  • Just to be sure, I copied a project to one of my SSD drives ... made no difference on all fronts/problems.
  • No excessive CPU usage (practically nil), disabled a number of background services/processes. Don't believe I can run Edius in safe mode right? Since it uses basic gpu drivers, no?
  • This is happening with any codec/format, including HQX (which I mostly use for everything and no problems before.)
  • No latency issues detected (average sub-100, occasional spike to ~200 - 300)
  • Probably a bunch of other things I can't remember at the moment, but am open to other suggestions, and this post is getting really long. :)

Thank you to anyone taking the time to read this, and I appreciate your input/insight.
MAIN SYSTEM: Asus P8Z68 DELUXE, Core i-7 2600k @ 4.6Mhz (stable), 32gb DDR3 1600 (1833 oc) Vengence RAM, 512gb SSD (OS and Apps Only), 256gb SSD Scratch Disk, 2TB Caviar Black SATA3 RAID Video Drive, Nvidia GTX 970 (oc'd), Windows 7 PRO 64-bit, all in a customized HAF-X case ... complete with holographic logo. [Air cooled into the low teens idle, 49c under heavy sustained oc'd load.] Dual 19" displays with 32" video monitor. ShuttlePRO.

Last edited by OneQuickSix; 11-22-2019 at 03:17 AM.
OneQuickSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:36 AM   #2
BernH

It the footage a different format than you usually use?

If it is a new video format, it may be something that your 2nd gen system is not up to the task of decoding. You haven't stated anything about the actual media, project settings, etc.

If it isn't a different format, and this is a spontaneous issue, you likely either have corrupted software or failing hardware.

The software could be drivers, windows, edius, c+ redistributables, etc. It could also be a new piece of software interfering somehow.

Hardware could be drives, CPU, RAM, GPU, motherboard etc.

I would suggest that you start by using a can of compressed air to blow out all the fans in the system, including CPU and GPU to potentially eliminate thermal issues, and thile in there, have a look to see if there are any swollen or leaking capacitors on the motherboard. if the problems still exists re-seat all cards, cables, RAM, etc. and if still having an issue, start re-installing drivers, then edius if required. If none of that works, you may be in need of a fresh windows install.

Trial and error is likely the only way you will figure this out if nothing has changed in software or media.

All of what I have stated is just basic troubleshooting procedures. More information about media format and project settings is also required to know if these steps are required.
Edius WG 9.52.5886, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Last edited by BernH; 11-22-2019 at 02:11 AM.
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:40 AM   #3
antonsvideo

can I see a screenshot of project settings with everything visible

what is driving the external monitor via HDMI? GV Card? BM Card? Matrox Card?

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:16 AM   #4
OneQuickSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernH View Post
It the footage a different format than you usually use?

If it is a new video format, it may be something that your 2nd gen system is not up to the task of decoding. You haven't stated anything about the actual media, project settings, etc.

If it isn't a different format, and this is a spontaneous issue, you likely either have corrupted software or failing hardware.<snip>
No, sorry meant to post that about the format(s) (will addend) ... this is occurring with HQX in the "test" project which has, of course, always been fine, but it is happening with any format.

I clean my system once a month (which is overkill considering there is almost never any dust) and it idles in the low 20C's (motherboard) and ~35C for the CPU, under load hits about 51C on the CPU.

Also checked latency ... hovers sub-100, with occasional spike to 200 or so. Well with in norms.

I was hoping someone had experience this before and was like "oh yeah, that happens when X is X". (I know wishful thinking) The thought of tracking down a software conflict practically makes me break out in hives, plus I just don't have the time at the moment. But thanks for the input.
MAIN SYSTEM: Asus P8Z68 DELUXE, Core i-7 2600k @ 4.6Mhz (stable), 32gb DDR3 1600 (1833 oc) Vengence RAM, 512gb SSD (OS and Apps Only), 256gb SSD Scratch Disk, 2TB Caviar Black SATA3 RAID Video Drive, Nvidia GTX 970 (oc'd), Windows 7 PRO 64-bit, all in a customized HAF-X case ... complete with holographic logo. [Air cooled into the low teens idle, 49c under heavy sustained oc'd load.] Dual 19" displays with 32" video monitor. ShuttlePRO.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:19 AM   #5
OneQuickSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
can I see a screenshot of project settings with everything visible

what is driving the external monitor via HDMI? GV Card? BM Card? Matrox Card?
Sure, but WHICH project ... this happens in every project with various settings. I'll just post a couple, if you need to see more, let me know.

As far as the external monitor, as I said, it is via HDMI. Did not previously have issues, but this is also happening on the overlay in the main window on the main system monitor.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:39 AM   #6
OneQuickSix

Here you go, Anton. I have included the clip properties for this particular project as well. (AVC MP4 ~24Mbps). I have also tested projects that are MP4 MOV, ProRes (various flavors) MOV, DNxHD, and of course HQX. (BTW, this particular project does not utilize sound at all, so no audio is in the timeline. It could very well be drifting, and I'm sure it would, but this project is a side-to-side tracking shot that shows the janky movement.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edius Issue - ProjectSettings and Clip Info.jpg (330.6 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by OneQuickSix; 11-22-2019 at 03:54 AM.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:51 AM   #7
OneQuickSix

Default **UPDATE** Mixer "Fixes" the Issue(s)?!?

**UPDATE** Mixer "Fixes" the Issue(s)?!?

OK, so I opened up the mixer, which of course drops the buffer to 5 frames (always has when any channel has TRACK selected) but usually doesn’t effect playback in any negative way unless there are some heavy effects, etc. BUT GET THIS ... The video and audio stayed in sync! The audio did get warbly (like when buffer is drained), but the audio stayed in sync indefinitely (like it should). Red line still appeared, but I believe that is normal for when mixer is open with track engaged selected, I believe. WTH??? Why would that cause it to act normally?

Going to see if it smooths out playback of panned shots, etc. as well. Will update this post.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:38 PM   #8
BernH

Your screen shots show 59.94p AVCHD media. This is pretty taxing on a 2nd Gen CPU to decode, but since you say the problem is also happening with HQX media, could you possibly have too much fragmentation on your media drive?

If you do have a lot of media on the drive and have added and deleted a lot over time, it is possible that new media created is too fragmented for the system to read and feed the CPU fast enough. A media drive defrag may help if this is the case.
Edius WG 9.52.5886, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:55 PM   #9
OneQuickSix

Thank, Bern ... but as I mentioned, I tried it using one of my SSD's with that very thought (fragmentation). Doesn't make a difference. (Also, the original video drive is seeing healthy ~200MB/s ... more than enough for any of these codec's data rates.) Finally, not sure why opening up the mixer would make that type of issue go away ... to me it has to be something related to the overlay.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:09 PM   #10
antonsvideo

you will get jerky playback via graphics card HDMI, this is how it always has been in EDIUS, especially during pans

you will get smooth playback via a dedicated output card and never via a graphics card

also, a dedicated output card will give proper sound at 48k that is in sync with vision

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS