Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 04-30-2018, 02:58 AM   #1
nitrococuk

Default About hardware encoder

Hello,

I own i5-7600k cpu and nvidia gtx 1060 3gb gpu & using Edius 7 pro.

Now I'm new to this fast Intel Quicksync thing and want to learn more.

When I try to export my project as h264/AVC, I can not see the "use hardware encoder" option.

I have heard that I didn't need to connect a monitor to onboard intel graphic card to quicksync work.

As I have checked the specs again, my motherboard (ROG STRIX H270F GAMING) and CPU are supporting intel quick sync video technology.

Also, in BIOS, multi-monitor option is enabled.

So what is left to check ? Project settings ?!?!
nitrococuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:19 AM   #2
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrococuk View Post
Hello,

I own i5-7600k cpu and nvidia gtx 1060 3gb gpu & using Edius 7 pro.

Now I'm new to this fast Intel Quicksync thing and want to learn more.

When I try to export my project as h264/AVC, I can not see the "use hardware encoder" option.

I have heard that I didn't need to connect a monitor to onboard intel graphic card to quicksync work.

As I have checked the specs again, my motherboard (ROG STRIX H270F GAMING) and CPU are supporting intel quick sync video technology.

Also, in BIOS, multi-monitor option is enabled.

So what is left to check ? Project settings ?!?!
In order for Quicksync to function, the Intel GPU needs to be active. In order for it to be active, it need to have a monitor connected. You can hook up the intel GPU to a secondary input on your monitor and clone the display.

There are also some ways you can fool windows into thinking there is a virtual monitor hooked up but I have never done it so can't tell you how. I have heard that it doesn't always work though.

Personally, I have 2 monitors. One hooked up to my nVidia card and one hooked up to my onboard Intel GPU, and my desktop is stretched across them, giving more working space.
Edius WG 9.40.5106, various 3rd party plugins, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:12 AM   #3
David Clarke

You also do not say what operating system you are using. EDIUS 7 and Windows 10 may have some driver problems - i.e. there may not be an Intel driver that works with EDIUS 7.

But the main thing is you must have a monitor plugged into the on-board graphics somehow.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
nitrococuk

Yea. You were all correct. I plugged the monitor to onboard graphic card and “use hardware encoder” option enabled.

Now can i connect my monitor to onboard graphic card by using hdmi 2 slot on my ?

After doing this, what should i do next on windows (10) settings ? And should i also change anything in bios ?

Will there be any negative side of doing this in terms of pc-performance ?

Last edited by nitrococuk; 04-30-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:21 AM   #5
David Clarke

Not entirely sure what you mean by:

"Now can i connect my monitor to onboard graphic card by using hdmi 2 slot on my ?"

if you use two screens connect the main on to the nVidia and the second one to the on-board.

EDIUS is quite happy like this as are most programs. Some may have problems - I have had Avid not like this configuration in the past. It is important that the main screen is the nVidia for programs that use GPU acceleration (like some plug-ins for EDIUS - VisTitle and Vitascene) and most editing/effects programs.

If you have one screen and you have two connections on it - DVI and HDMI for example, then connect the on-board into the second connection. The computer will think you have two screens connected but you can only see one at a time.

So bear I'm mind that sometimes a dialogue may appear on the second screen so if you find you can't do something change the computer screen to see the other input before reaching for the reset button.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:07 PM   #6
kpot

Hi nitrococuk:
1. I have only one monitor.
2. I have WIN10 64bit Pro installed and Edius-9.20.
3. I have an i7-6700k processor (with QuickSync).
4. I have an additional nVIDIA-graphic card.

5. I have connected my Intel-GPU via DVI with my monitor.
6. I have in addition connected my nVIDIA-card via HDMI with my monitor.
7. In BIOS the iPGU must be enabled.
8. My settings of the displays ===> see the screenshot. It is in german language, but should not give any problem to understand the meaning.

Maybe the above is of some help for you.
// Because I have put both displays to be shown on display-1 it don't happen that some messages etc. "disappeares" (on the other display).
Regards kurt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image 1.jpg (250.6 KB, 42 views)
Intel core i7-6700K / ASUS Z170A / 32 GB RAM / Intel HD Graphics 530 / SSD Systemdrive / Gigabyte GeForce GT 1070 / Win-10/64 Pro (V-1809) / EDIUS-9.40 WG / Mercalli V2 and V4 Plugin (64bit) / Zonealarm(Firewall etc) / ImgBurn / PhantomDrive / PowerDVD etc.
// Read > Test > Understand
kpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:52 PM   #7
nitrococuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clarke View Post
Not entirely sure what you mean by:

"Now can i connect my monitor to onboard graphic card by using hdmi 2 slot on my ?"

if you use two screens connect the main on to the nVidia and the second one to the on-board.

EDIUS is quite happy like this as are most programs. Some may have problems - I have had Avid not like this configuration in the past. It is important that the main screen is the nVidia for programs that use GPU acceleration (like some plug-ins for EDIUS - VisTitle and Vitascene) and most editing/effects programs.

If you have one screen and you have two connections on it - DVI and HDMI for example, then connect the on-board into the second connection. The computer will think you have two screens connected but you can only see one at a time.

So bear I'm mind that sometimes a dialogue may appear on the second screen so if you find you can't do something change the computer screen to see the other input before reaching for the reset button.

I have only one monitor which has hdmi 1, hdmi 2 & dvi input on. Now my nvidia is connectod to it by hdmi 1 . Can i use hdmi 2 to connect it to intel onboard gpu ? Or is it a stupid question ?
Old 04-30-2018, 01:00 PM   #8
nitrococuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpot View Post
Hi nitrococuk:
1. I have only one monitor.
2. I have WIN10 64bit Pro installed and Edius-9.20.
3. I have an i7-6700k processor (with QuickSync).
4. I have an additional nVIDIA-graphic card.

5. I have connected my Intel-GPU via DVI with my monitor.
6. I have in addition connected my nVIDIA-card via HDMI with my monitor.
7. In BIOS the iPGU must be enabled.
8. My settings of the displays ===> see the screenshot. It is in german language, but should not give any problem to understand the meaning.

Maybe the above is of some help for you.
// Because I have put both displays to be shown on display-1 it don't happen that some messages etc. "disappeares" (on the other display).
Regards kurt
Thanks for your help mate. Really appriciate it. Instead of DVI port, Can I use hdmi 2 input on my single monitor ? Will windows still detect it as a new monitor, may be ?

Does this solution affect the pc graphic performance & quality negatively ? I want to know if there’s a problem with running nvidia and onboard gpu at the same time ?
Old 04-30-2018, 01:11 PM   #9
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrococuk View Post
Thanks for your help mate. Really appriciate it. Instead of DVI port, Can I use hdmi 2 input on my single monitor ? Will windows still detect it as a new monitor, may be ?

Does this solution affect the pc graphic performance & quality negatively ? I want to know if there’s a problem with running nvidia and onboard gpu at the same time ?
Yes, you should be able to use the second hdmi. The intel GPU needs to see a monitor connection in order to get turned on/activated. It doesn't care if it's hdmi, dvi, or vga, as long as there is a connection.

No problem running both at the same time, that is how many of us are doing it.

If you don't want things to pop up on the secondary monitor connection, you need to set it to a clone display, not a stretched one.
Edius WG 9.40.5106, various 3rd party plugins, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:35 PM   #10
nitrococuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernH View Post
Yes, you should be able to use the second hdmi. The intel GPU needs to see a monitor connection in order to get turned on/activated. It doesn't care if it's hdmi, dvi, or vga, as long as there is a connection.

No problem running both at the same time, that is how many of us are doing it.

If you don't want things to pop up on the secondary monitor connection, you need to set it to a clone display, not a stretched one.
Perfect ! !!!

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories