Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 10-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
Lead_Editor

Default Resampling Methods Choices

I searched through the forum and found great information with all the Resampling Methods Choices that EDIUS provides. Someone wrote, "reading the manual helps?" Of course, this was the first place I checked and could not find "good" explicit information about each Resampling Method. Does anyone know what page I can find more information about these features?

We currently use Lanczos 3 (Hi-Quality) to fix blur issues when resizing and/or repositioning shots in SD projects. I would like to know what other choices in the drop down menu could be used for with video. I tried all of them and some work okay and some don't but I didn't see any major changes.

Thank you.
Lead_Editor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Like many other things, there is no universal best, just best for a specific situation.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=111978
http://www.avsforum.com/t/460922/lan...bic-comparison
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forum...-upsizing.html
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
Lead_Editor

Thank you!
Old 10-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

BTW, the "taps" determine how far-reaching the analysis is. The more you "know" about how the nearby pixels behave, the better your interpolation can be, at least in most cases.

If you're familiar with vector drawings, more taps roughly equates to more anchor points. The more points you have, the more-accurately you can emulate a path.

Or another way to look at it...
You're driving.
It's dark.
Your headlights illuminate 100 feet in front of you.
You see a turn up ahead, so you slow down.

If you had headlights that illuminated 200 feet in front of you, you would see that it's not just a gentle turn, it's a sharp turn. So you would slow down more.

If you had GPS navigation (assuming the map is correct), you might see that it's a really hairpin turn, so you would anticipate that and slow down even more.

Of course the downside to more taps is that for each pixel you're working on, that's more data you need to analyze, so the computational load increases quite rapidly with each subsequent tap.

Historical note: The EDIUS HDBX1000 Multi-I/O Processor (MIP) from the EDIUS HD (RX-E1) days used hardware scaling. I think it was 5 taps, it might have been more.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:47 AM   #5
Khoi Pham

I think it depends on your taste and final destination, what I do is making a still of all the difference settings, take it to photo shop and zoom in 500% and pixel peeps, what I see is that all of the Lanczos although looks sharper but add too much halo or ringing around the edges like a black tux with a lighter background, or darker edge on white shirt, for me if the video is downscale and for internet use, Lanczos is good, but for DVD, for me "fast and sharp" settings are the best, just from the still alone, it has zero halo, you also have to think that most people now a day have HDTV and DVD player that upscale to 1080 or Blu-ray player that upscale DVD disc to 1080, and so by up converting it also add some kind of sharpening algorithm and if you use Lanczos which already add halo and edge contrast then it would be too much, but like I said it depends on your taste, if you never noticed halo then probably want to stick to lanczos, I just hate halo and I think the picture is much more pleasing without it and so I like "fast and sharp" method the best for down convert to DVD.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Khoi brings up a good point - different methods can affect areas of sharp contrast and abrupt changes much differently.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
Lead_Editor

Thank you all. I have to come up with some samples, but not sure where to start as far as using samples with video on all these options.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS