Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 01-24-2020, 06:31 PM   #11
Vladiciu

Default info

Problem solved by installing Elmedia player for mac, now I see the grass valley files well.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:51 PM   #12
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiciu View Post
I have a problem, I can't see the grass valley HQX files on mac, with VLC and not even Quick time player, I use el capitan, how can I do it?
thank you
As I said before:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernH View Post
The one thing to be aware of, is that whoever you are giving these files to will need to install the GV codecs to play them. The same story is true if you were to use an Avid DNxHD codec.

ProRes is native to Mac, and a lot of people have quicktime player on their PC's, so ProRes can usually work on a PC too for playback.

If you can't export Prores, since your edius version is from before the native prores support, it may make sense to convert the HQX files back to Prores for delivery. You can do this using ffmpeg, or if you prefer not to use the command line, there are several GUI's for ffmpeg, some free, some not. Xmedia Recode is a free one that will let you do the conversion.
HQX is the native codec of Edius, just as DNxHD is the native codec of Avid Media Composer. In both cases the codecs are quite good, but require installation of the respective codec packs on machines that don't have the editing software on them.

Players like the Elmedia player and VLC have codecs hard coded into them for viewing, but these are not available to other softwares for further work on the files. The GV and Avid codec packs are available to other softwares, but I still think that for simplicity in passing the files off to other people and avoiding the headaches of people complaining that there is something wrong with the files, conversion back to ProRes is the safest thing for you to do.
Edius WG 9.51.5619, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Last edited by BernH; 01-24-2020 at 11:12 PM.
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:03 PM   #13
DigitalDave

All discussed here https://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/...=Prores&page=2
Asking a station to download a codec pack to play or edit "your" files is pushing your luck. Listen to Bern ...this is his world!
DigitalDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:23 PM   #14
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDave View Post
All discussed here https://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/...=Prores&page=2
Asking a station to download a codec pack to play or edit "your" files is pushing your luck. Listen to Bern ...this is his world!
Thanks for the vote of confidence Dave. ;-)

Further to Dave's comment about asking a station to download a codec pack, and to re-iterate what I have posted in other threads, many stations want files that they can load into their playout servers if it ia a final delivery. These are systems that have a very strict file type requirement (usually MXF op1a XDCAM-HD 50)

If you give a station anything else, someone there is going to have to convert it into that format, and expecting them to install a codec pack to handle your file is insane.

A station normally won't entertain that idea for several reasons, including security and stability of their workstations, and not to mention the fact that the systems are often controlled by an IT department.

I have had real knock down drag outs with IT departments before when trying to sell or install something at a station that isn't on their approved list, sometimes something as simple as a different make or model system than they are standardized on, let alone some piece of software that has not been blessed by a competitor of GV.

Do yourself, your clients, and the station a favor, and just deliver what they are asking for.
Edius WG 9.51.5619, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
Old 01-25-2020, 10:12 AM   #15
David Clarke

I would just like to add that Grass Valley codecs are great from going from one EDIUS system to another but sometimes even programs that do understand the codec get things wrong like the field order or think progressive is interlaced.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:59 AM   #16
Vladiciu

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clarke View Post
I would just like to add that Grass Valley codecs are great from going from one EDIUS system to another but sometimes even programs that do understand the codec get things wrong like the field order or think progressive is interlaced.
ok I understand what you mean, but this is an exceptional case the fact that it has files in prores 422, and a favor to a friend who uses mac.
I only work with windows 10 and edius 8.5 and I don't care about the mac, I'm not a video professional like you, I'm a hobby and passion filmaker, so I'm looking for a codec that is easier to work in timeline with edius 8 with files gh4 in 4K, that's all.
thanks again for your help.

sorry but the codec "Losess" what would it be? a codec best of all or not?

Thanks again.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:01 PM   #17
Vladiciu

Otherwise the alternative would be to switch to edius 9 where I can convert, edit, and export in prores and it would be excellent, but for now I don't want to spend money, prefer to wait for the release of edius 10 pro and see what news there will be.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:40 PM   #18
kpot

Quote:
ok I understand what you mean, but this is an exceptional case the fact that it has files in prores 422, and a favor to a friend who uses mac.
I only work with windows 10 and edius 8.5 and I don't care about the mac, I'm not a video professional like you, I'm a hobby and passion filmaker, so I'm looking for a codec that is easier to work in timeline with edius 8 with files gh4 in 4K, that's all.

Thanks again.

HQX is 10 bit, Lossless is 8bit.
kurt
Intel core i7-6700K / ASUS Z170A / 32 GB RAM / Intel HD Graphics 530 / SSD Systemdrive / Gigabyte GeForce GT 1070 / Win-10/64 Pro (V-1809) / EDIUS-9.51 (5619)-WG / Mercalli (V2, V4 and V5 Plugin/64bit) / Resolve-16.1.2 Studio / Zonealarm(Firewall etc) / ImgBurn / PowerDVD etc.
// Read > Test > Understand
kpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:58 PM   #19
Vladiciu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpot View Post
HQX is 10 bit, Lossless is 8bit.
kurt
thank you very match
Old 01-25-2020, 04:29 PM   #20
BernH

Quote:

Thanks again.
The rule of thumb for performance for any NLE is to use the native codec that the system is designed around. HQ/HQX for Edius, DNxHR/HR for Avid, ProRes for Final Cut, etc., but Edius can use the ProRes as a source for you to work with.

However if you are talking 4K, then the best solution for performance is to select all the prores files in the bin, right-click and choose the convert option in the popup menu. This will make new files in the HQ/HQX codec (use HQX superfine as suggested by Kurt) for you to edit with. Just make sure you use the new generated HQX files in your edit.

4K ProRes will play in edius, but not nearly as efficiently as HQX. These points have been laid out many times on the forum in posts from me and David Harry (LiverpoolTV). Dave even has some videos up showing the performance gain for 4K HQX using a fairly underpowered laptop.

HQ/HQX is comparible in quality to ProRes and DNxHD/HR, so you will not loose any noticeable amount of quality (I always use HQX unless dealing with old standard definition footage.)

Once you are finished your edit, export as an HQX file for your master. This is where the points I was making about delivery come into play. Don't expect the people you are passing the video onto, to have to install codec packs or special players to deal with it. It is best to provide them with a video that is made to their specifications in a professional environment, or in the consumer world, it's best to provide a file that is the most compatible and simple to use for people.

If you are passing this back to your friend on the Mac, ProRes is the best option, for the average user, an MP4 is probably the better choice, and for a TV station, the choice is whatever their specifications call for.

Once you have the master HQX file, it is easy to convert it into other formats, using a combination of Edius and Xmedia Recode or a similar tool. I mention Xmedia because it is free, and can make ProRes files from your master, as well many other formats. Broadcast files are probably best made in Edius.

Edius can make MP4s, but due to the lack of the web optimized option with Edius 8 and the lower quality native encoder, even those are better made by Xmedia or Handbrake, unless you have the TMPGEnc plugins for Edius.

Last edited by BernH; 01-25-2020 at 06:17 PM.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS