Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 08-30-2019, 04:37 AM   #1
tryingtolearn

Default Luts or M Luts color presets??

Hey there, so I've been talking with a lot of local videographers who all use either FC or Adobe who insist on something called luts or mluts as templates to color correct (in essense like photoshop actions for video)
is this something we can get for Edius?

i tried a brief google but came up short
would "luts" that work for other programs work in edius?

if so does anyone know where to buy or how to use?
same as normal presets?
if not does anyone have suggestions?
Laptop: ASUS ROG Strix Scar Edition GL703GE-ES73 17.3 Gaming Laptop, 8th-Gen 6-Core Intel Core i7-8750H processor (up to 3.9GHz), GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, 120Hz 3ms display, 16GB DDR4, 128GB PCIe SSD + 1TB SSHD, Windows 10

This laptop is a recent upgrade from Asus ROG G75VW as of October 2018 - Edius 8

Desktop: Win7x64Pro, 3.4ghz Intel Core i7-3770
Gigabyte Tech B75M-D3H, 16332 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5450 Samsung SSD
Edius 6 Edius 8
tryingtolearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:52 AM   #2
antonsvideo

EDIUS9 automatically detects source LUT and sets destination LUT when applying PCC filter, but you can manually set things if you must
https://www.videoproductions.com.au/edius90/LUTs.png
Attached Images
File Type: png Anton-00023.png (32.5 KB, 32 views)

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:09 PM   #3
Geoff_C

For E8.22, E9 will be pretty similar. Very little in manul/pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar0mjro90Us
Geoff_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:28 PM   #4
GrassValley_SL

Think you need to read up on the subject. You first have to understand what a lut is.
Usually a lut is used on assets which were acquired in a log format. There are many lut package available.
For example leeming luts neumanfilms lut.

There are also lut packages for HLG to 709.
You can use any creative Lut which is a cube format.
Note that the are different luts depending on the log format.

Also luts require you to expose within certain limits to achieve good results. It is GIGO.
You can achieve the same effects by using the PCC . It just takes a bit of practice.

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support
GrassValley_SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:53 PM   #5
ulyssesvideo

Luts can be seen as a preset, a quick way to colour grade to achieve the look that was intended by the applied lut..

But as Steve said, there are different luts.. luts to convert log to rec 709, HLG to 709 etc or luts to change a look of the graded footage or standard rec 709, bt2020 etc.
there are some great sites to buy or even get for free like this site https://freshluts.com/

have fun
ulyssesvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 03:37 PM   #6
BernH

This was covered the last time you were asking about LUTs toward the bottom of this thread

https://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/...&highlight=LUT
Edius WG 9.51.5619, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:52 AM   #7
spurfilm

More and more people are using log presets on their cameras to get extra dynamic range when grading in post. The resulting camera image appears very flat. But when the appropriate LUT preset is applied - as in EDIUS Primary Color Correction - the image appears natural again. LUT presets are only the first step in color grading, to get the image into the ballpark. Then you can adjust the image to your own satisfaction.

It depends on your make of camera as to what logs are available in your menu system. Many cameras allow you import log files. Personally I use CineLikeD with my Lumix GH5. So I found a good LUT online which I imported into EDIUS Primary Color Correction. This preset gets my camera images close to how I want them. But I still have to do shot-to-shot grading. Importantly, to help me, I use the EDIUS IRE waveform to make sure blacks are not crushed and the whites do not peak over 100%. Once these levels are set correctly, you can adjust the color and gamma to your personal preference. So it is important to have a good monitor that is setup correctly with the help of a "staircase" gray-scale and/or color-bars.

The advantage of using a log is that you can usually overcome slight over or under exposure more easily. It helps you lift dark areas and flatten highlights. Using a log tends to give you more detail in shadows too. In my opinion, logs and LUTs help you get the best out of your camera and lenses. I can't do without them now.
EDIUS WG 9.51.5532 Tower > Win10 Pro 64-bit on 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD, Nanoxia Deep Silence Case, Asus X99-S Mobo, Intel i7-5820K Haswell-E @ 3.30GHz O/C to 4GHz, 32GB Crucial DDR4 @ 2133MHz, NVIDIA GeForce 980 Ti 6GB + dual 1920x1080 monitors, BM Intensity Pro 4K + 3840x2160 monitor, LG Blu-Ray writer, Storage: 16TB WD RED RAID0. EDIUS WG 9.51.5532 Field Laptop > Acer P645-M, 14" 1920x1080, 256GB SSD, Win7 Pro 64-bit, Intel dual-core i7-4500U Haswell @ 1.8GHz, 8GB DDR3.
spurfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:28 AM   #8
ulyssesvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurfilm View Post
More and more people are using log presets on their cameras to get extra dynamic range when grading in post. The resulting camera image appears very flat. But when the appropriate LUT preset is applied - as in EDIUS Primary Color Correction - the image appears natural again. LUT presets are only the first step in color grading, to get the image into the ballpark. Then you can adjust the image to your own satisfaction.

It depends on your make of camera as to what logs are available in your menu system. Many cameras allow you import log files. Personally I use CineLikeD with my Lumix GH5. So I found a good LUT online which I imported into EDIUS Primary Color Correction. This preset gets my camera images close to how I want them. But I still have to do shot-to-shot grading. Importantly, to help me, I use the EDIUS IRE waveform to make sure blacks are not crushed and the whites do not peak over 100%. Once these levels are set correctly, you can adjust the color and gamma to your personal preference. So it is important to have a good monitor that is setup correctly with the help of a "staircase" gray-scale and/or color-bars.

The advantage of using a log is that you can usually overcome slight over or under exposure more easily. It helps you lift dark areas and flatten highlights. Using a log tends to give you more detail in shadows too. In my opinion, logs and LUTs help you get the best out of your camera and lenses. I can't do without them now.
you dont need a lut to convert a log file to rec 709 etc.
I still use edius 7 and I dont use a lut to convert my vlogL to rec 709.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:23 PM   #9
spurfilm

Rec 709 defines the parameters that cameras normally record, and also those we deliver as an edited master. It is a global standard first agreed for HDTV in 1990. The spec includes frame size, frame rates, bit-rates, color space and gamma.

If you do not use a log for filming, then your file will be standard Rec 709 specification. If you shoot log, then you need a log LUT. If you shoot Rec 709, then you need a Rec 709 LUT.

Quote:
you dont need a lut to convert a log file to rec 709 etc.
LUTs do not convert anything. They are simply a template for your color correction settings. If I did not use a LUT to help me correct my log file for delivery in Rec 709 my images would be totally unacceptable. Completely flat in fact. So for me, the use of a LUT is essential.

A lot depends on the log - and there are so many to choose from - all different. If EDIUS recognises the log it will apply a suitable LUT automatically. If not, you have to choose one from the list within the Primary Color Correction tool, or else import one. If you are not using log then you will do conventional color correction or use a Rec 709 LUT to help you.
EDIUS WG 9.51.5532 Tower > Win10 Pro 64-bit on 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD, Nanoxia Deep Silence Case, Asus X99-S Mobo, Intel i7-5820K Haswell-E @ 3.30GHz O/C to 4GHz, 32GB Crucial DDR4 @ 2133MHz, NVIDIA GeForce 980 Ti 6GB + dual 1920x1080 monitors, BM Intensity Pro 4K + 3840x2160 monitor, LG Blu-Ray writer, Storage: 16TB WD RED RAID0. EDIUS WG 9.51.5532 Field Laptop > Acer P645-M, 14" 1920x1080, 256GB SSD, Win7 Pro 64-bit, Intel dual-core i7-4500U Haswell @ 1.8GHz, 8GB DDR3.
spurfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:38 PM   #10
ulyssesvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurfilm View Post
Rec 709 defines the parameters that cameras normally record, and also those we deliver as an edited master. It is a global standard first agreed for HDTV in 1990. The spec includes frame size, frame rates, bit-rates, color space and gamma.

If you do not use a log for filming, then your file will be standard Rec 709 specification. If you shoot log, then you need a log LUT. If you shoot Rec 709, then you need a Rec 709 LUT.

LUTs do not convert anything. They are simply a template for your color correction settings. If I did not use a LUT to help me correct my log file for delivery in Rec 709 my images would be totally unacceptable. Completely flat in fact. So for me, the use of a LUT is essential.

A lot depends on the log - and there are so many to choose from - all different. If EDIUS recognises the log it will apply a suitable LUT automatically. If not, you have to choose one from the list within the Primary Color Correction tool, or else import one. If you are not using log then you will do conventional color correction or use a Rec 709 LUT to help you.
If you want to use a lut to correct your footage..by all mean do so. I don't use luts to correct my gh5s log footage because of the limitation of edius 7 as it wont do 10bit when using a lut via the after effects bridge.
there are 2 basic ways to change log to the correct look.. use a lut or adjust the levels using curves, brightness/contrast... etc.
your right... its a look up table. but I use my waveform and vector scopes to help me correct my footage.. have been do it for ages now to produce TVCs and NEVER had a problem and all tvcs are legal for broadcast.

so yes.. in a way a lut does change the look or as I put it.. convert or to change.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS