Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 07-30-2018, 07:42 AM   #1
Editec

Default Video with Alpha by GV Edius (Newtek SpeedHQ Codecs)

Curious if any EDIUS User has had issues with creating video media with alpha channel using the Newtek codec. The editing system being used is GV Edius 7/8 exporting with the Quicktime wrapper and the Newtek SpeedHQ (SHQ0-SHQ9) codecs. There is no AVI option when exporting SpeedHQ under Edius 7/8. The SpeedHQ *.mov files will not be accepted for playback in other multimedia applications requiring alpha channel, including Edius. Having completed testing using each of the SpeedHQ codecs (SHQ0 – SHQ9) with no success. Operating Systems used Win7Pro, Win8.1Pro and Win10. Current release of Edius 7 & 8, with the latest version of the codecs. The Newtek SpeedHQ files will play in VLC Player (V3.0.3), and it reports that the files are OK and with the Alpha channel (ie: 4:2:2:4).

The test files are of 10 seconds duration and can be downloaded as a zip file for viewing by Grass Valley Support if interested in assisting with this issue. Appreciate any help on this. Edius Alpha Channel Codecs.zip (802M) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Gwc...ew?usp=sharing

Below some of the screen captures to illustrate the settings used and the responses by various applications:

Click to Enlarge

Click to Enlarge

Click to Enlarge

Click to Enlarge

Last edited by GrassValley_SL; 07-30-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Editec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:39 PM   #2
NakedEye

What do you intend to use them for? Or what is the destination? I imagine they will work fine with TriCaster products from NewTek. You could also use HQX and HQ with Alpha.
Main Editor - Edius 8.53 AdobeCC Mini Monitor 4K Intel X99P SLI Intel Core i7 6800K CPU Gigabyte GTX980 SanDisk Ultra Video SSD 1XINTEL System SSD 16GB Kingston DDR4 2400 RAM VisTitle 2.8 Onboard Sound 10GBE LAN WIN10Pro 64bit

Encoding - Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT Intel 4790K CPU Gigabyte GTX550Ti Gigabyte GTX980 Western Digital HDD's LG Blu-ray drive, 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM BMD Mini Monitor 4K Edius 8.53 Creative Cloud Win 10 64bit Pro
www.nakedeyedv.com
NakedEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:41 PM   #3
Editec

All good questions NakedEye.

What do you intend to use them for?
Newtek’s SpeedHQ codec is very flexible and can be used in most multimedia applications for recording, editing and playback. Though it’s a propriety codec, it is freely available. It is also IP aware, and used exclusively with the NDI network protocol and products. In the video clip domain, it should be encoded as an *.AVI file rather than a QuickTime under Windows. Having had discussions in the last couple of days with various software vendors, apparently this is the case. In Edius, there is only the QuickTime export available for the SpeedHQ codec, or at least I have found no other way to export SpeedHQ using AVI export. Currently, the Alpha channel problem with SpeedHQ codec in Edius may not be resolved in the short term, unless I receive feedback from Grass Valley Support, or one of the numerous Edius Gurus on this forum.

Or what is the destination? External applications such as Adobe, Avid, Newtek and vMix software/hardware products.

You could also use HQX and HQ with Alpha. Internally I use the HQX with Alpha all the time within Edius. Superb codec, however, very few external applications can use the GVG codecs, including the Newtek products. So therein lay the problem with Edius exporting to SpeedHQ with Alpha.

Even the well-priced BluffTitler can export correctly to SpeedHQ with Alpha, and its plays back correctly in every application available to me. Including VLC Player (3.0.3) and Windows Media Player. FFMPEG even works with the Newtek SpeedHQ codec, having adopted it recently.

The Newtek Support staff agree that the Edius export using the SpeedHQ codecs must utilize the *.AVI wrapper/container, with "DCT Alpha" selected, as there has been issues with QuickTime from other Users and Vendors. I have provided a weblink to the Edius test files and various other screen captures to illustrate the issues at hand.

Appreciate you taking the time to respond to my Forum question. Cheers.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:25 PM   #4
Editec

Would appreciate any advice or guidance from Grass Valley Support, or is that not possible after the 90 day warranty period. Is the Forum only for Users to share ideas, tip and tricks? If someone could point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful. As this issue is a real problem, and I have run out of ideas in trying to export alpha using the SpeedHQ codec.

With thanks. :)
Old 08-01-2018, 03:33 PM   #5
GrassValley_SL

Hi There,

You can export to HQX with alpha and use an external app to convert it to the New Tek solution you seek. This would let you work in the workflow you need.

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support
GrassValley_SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:09 PM   #6
Andreas_Gumm

You could try to rewrap MOV to AVI using the Video Container Changer!
Download it from https://www.videohelp.com/software/V...tainer-Changer

Andreas
Andreas_Gumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:35 PM   #7
Editec

Hi Steve. Spoke with Newtek and they have downloaded the package, and believe that the Edius export for SpeedHQ with Alpha should have the DCT option available or else the SpeedHQ codec will fail to add the alpha channel. AVI wrapper is the best choice also. This has to be done within the Edius application. Transcoding externally will fail with the MOV wrapper.

I would be interested in the short term for a transcoding solution that retains the alpha channel from GV HQ/HQX codec. That would be excellent, if anyone has any ideas for that solution.

I'll try your suggestion Andreas. Appreciated. Just tried "Video Container Changer", SPeedHQ MOV >> SpeedHQ AVI, no Alpha Channel. GV HQX Avi >> GV HQX Avi, no Alpha Channel.

The Alpha Channel is not being created in Edius, even though the 4:2:2:4 or 4:4:4:4 setting is selected for the Quicktime export. Check the earlier post with regards BluffTitler, their settings are correct (ie: with the DCT option)

Last edited by Editec; 08-01-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:13 PM   #8
Editec

“Future versions of Premiere Pro will no longer support Quicktime 7 era formats and codecs.” Product Manager, Adobe Premiere Pro. Dated 2nd April 2018. (Google Search) Interesting article.

The writing maybe on the wall for Quicktime and Edius, hence the move to the tried and true Microsoft AVI wrapper in recent times by other multimedia vendors.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:57 PM   #9
Andreas_Gumm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editec View Post
I'll try your suggestion Andreas. Appreciated. Just tried "Video Container Changer", SPeedHQ MOV >> SpeedHQ AVI, no Alpha Channel. GV HQX Avi >> GV HQX Avi, no Alpha Channel.
Strange, usual it wraps the essences into the new container format. I will do some tests what happens to the alpha channel. I didn't wrap alpha files before.
QuickTime is the more advanced container format and really well designed compared to AVI container. It's a pitty that Apple will let QuickTime die as frame work on PC platform. It will be up to the vendors If they support the free MOV standard in future.

Andreas

Last edited by Andreas_Gumm; 08-03-2018 at 03:16 AM.
Andreas_Gumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:00 PM   #10
NakedEye

Just make sure your timeline in Edius supports Alpha. In project settings choose YCbCr+Alpha for Alpha Exports to work.
Main Editor - Edius 8.53 AdobeCC Mini Monitor 4K Intel X99P SLI Intel Core i7 6800K CPU Gigabyte GTX980 SanDisk Ultra Video SSD 1XINTEL System SSD 16GB Kingston DDR4 2400 RAM VisTitle 2.8 Onboard Sound 10GBE LAN WIN10Pro 64bit

Encoding - Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT Intel 4790K CPU Gigabyte GTX550Ti Gigabyte GTX980 Western Digital HDD's LG Blu-ray drive, 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM BMD Mini Monitor 4K Edius 8.53 Creative Cloud Win 10 64bit Pro
www.nakedeyedv.com
NakedEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS