Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 01-26-2018, 01:07 PM   #1
sharif_al

Default Which is better for edius more intel cores or Intel quick sync CPU?? Help

Dear all
I am going to buy a 4K camcorder this month but it seems as I did some test with my Osmo+ to shoot and edit 4K in edius 9 that it is too difficult to edit 4K smoothly .
Mp PC
CPU = intel core i7 5930 K
Ram = 16GB
VGA = Gigabyte Nvidia 980GTX 6 G TI
MB= Msi gaming 9
SSD - 256 GB
HDD = 4TB

I want to buy a new Desktop but I am not sure which is better and which will give me real time editing in 4K and also to help export using H-265 and for faster and real time export (( 30 second clips export in 30 second )) ,
to buy intel core i9 with 10 cores for example like :

i9-7900X ( X- system )

or buy ( Z- System ) like
Intel® Core™ i7-8700K
that is only 6 cores

Help me and advise me
sharif_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:00 PM   #2
BernH

Edius will normally perform best with higher clock speed and more cores. Quicksync can be helpful to export some H264/AVC formats, and can also be used to decode some formats that use H264/AVC codecs, which can help performance a bit, but it can all also be done without quicksync. Usually outputs are not as fast, but with a higher quality

Ultimately it is up to you to decide what is more important, but there are other things that can be done to help playback/editing performance also that don't require quicksync.

If you want to get the most out of any edit system, it is always beneficial to use the native codec of the system in conjunction with faster storage, and not leave the camera footage in it's AVC encoded format. This means converting the footage to HQX. Anyhthing that is H264/AVCHD/XAVC/XFAVC/etc., are very difficult codecs to decode. You will see in my posts regarding this (see link below), I compared HQX and ProRes in 4K, both of which are intraframe codecs, and should decode easy, but the HQX outperformed the prores based on playback buffers by a factor of 6, and would likely outperform interframe AVC based footage by an even larger margin.

See my posts here on how to do this:
https://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/...ad.php?t=41266

I would suggest that you try to find a few sample clips from the camera you are planning to buy and put your current system through the paces to see the CPU/GPU will work as is, and focus on the larger/faster storage if required. If you still feel you need a new system, you can then decide if the quicksync option is worth it based on your findings with these tests.
Edius WG 9.51.5619, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Last edited by BernH; 01-28-2018 at 07:37 AM.
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:20 PM   #3
Barry C

I'm using a 4790 based system with SSDs and just wanted to say that BernH's advice about converting to HQX should absolutely be taken. Its great advice! You'll be amazed at the difference it makes. I should also add that a lot of my editing is on time lapse sequences which are over 8K res. I'm not able to get real time playback at full, but on single layer, with no adjustments, I have achieved it when setting the Workgroup tab to 1/2. I consider this quite phenomenal!
Old 01-27-2018, 04:36 PM   #4
Bassman

The best value right now is the Intel 8700k. It has 6 cores and quicksync. The only problem is the number of PCI lanes is limited in the matching chipset (Z370). If you have a Graphics card (16 lanes) an NVMe drive and a Blackmagic output card it might be an issue. You could run the Graphics card at 8x and you would be ok.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:15 PM   #5
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
The best value right now is the Intel 8700k. It has 6 cores and quicksync. The only problem is the number of PCI lanes is limited in the matching chipset (Z370). If you have a Graphics card (16 lanes) an NVMe drive and a Blackmagic output card it might be an issue. You could run the Graphics card at 8x and you would be ok.
The Z370 chipset provides 24 pci-e lanes and the 8700K provides only 16 pci-e lanes. Once that graphics card is installed and you put in a 4 lane I/O card, you have either killed 4 lanes from the chipset or placed the card in the second 16x pci-e slot and reduced your graphics card to 8x.
In comparison to the OP's system he has 40 lanes from the CPU and 8 from the X99 chipset.

If you also use Premiere on your system, you would probably feel the difference, where as you probably wouldn't notice it in Edius.

Either way, using an 8700k system is all about sharing. You also have to decide what you don't need and turn those items off. Just because you have all of the slots and ports doesn't mean that you can use all of these items at the same time. For those who want a quick 4K export option, the 8700k is probably the fastest available.

If you don't need a system right now, I would wait until after Computex in June to see what is coming. I would be surprised if Intel adds pci-e lanes to the Z390/9800k setup. But, you never know.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Last edited by Jerry; 01-27-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:43 AM   #6
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry C View Post
I'm using a 4790 based system with SSDs and just wanted to say that BernH's advice about converting to HQX should absolutely be taken. Its great advice! You'll be amazed at the difference it makes. I should also add that a lot of my editing is on time lapse sequences which are over 8K res. I'm not able to get real time playback at full, but on single layer, with no adjustments, I have achieved it when setting the Workgroup tab to 1/2. I consider this quite phenomenal!
Barry, that's pretty good that you can get that resolution to play sensibly on a 4790. I don't normally work any higher than HD, but have tested 4K for performance, and as I noted, and you have since explored and discovered, HQX is much more efficient.

I am curious though, have you tried proxy mode with that 8K+ footage?
Edius WG 9.51.5619, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
Old 01-28-2018, 01:26 PM   #7
Lada

still reading about PCi lanes (and their sharing...) here. Can somebody put more light into this with regards to the performance please.
Lada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:02 PM   #8
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lada View Post
still reading about PCi lanes (and their sharing...) here. Can somebody put more light into this with regards to the performance please.
PCI lanes are essentially parallel data pathways into/out of your CPU. CPU's the have a given number of these lanes. Your cards/slots are rated with number that designates the number of lanes they require/can provide. (ie. PCIe x4 is 4 lanes, while PCIe x8 is 8 lanes, etc.) The more lanes used, the faster the performance normally.

Graphics cards, for example, normally prefer x16 but can work at x8. This little tidbit of information allows for the motherboard to reduce the graphics card to x8 and use the 8 lanes that are freed up toward a card in a slot that shares lanes with the GPU. If you have 2 GPU's, this allows them to both work at x8 and do parallel processing. If it is one GPU and capture card, the capture card may only require x4, so the remaining x4 are unused, unless you have something in another shared slot that can work at x4, assuming your motherboard has 3 shared slots, (not all of them do).

Ideally you want a CPU with more PCIe lanes, and a motherboard with less shared slots for best performance, but depending on your hardware, sharing slots and PCIe lanes may be required.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:49 PM   #9
Barry C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernH View Post
Barry, that's pretty good that you can get that resolution to play sensibly on a 4790. I don't normally work any higher than HD, but have tested 4K for performance, and as I noted, and you have since explored and discovered, HQX is much more efficient.

I am curious though, have you tried proxy mode with that 8K+ footage?
No, I haven't tried it.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:13 PM   #10
Barry C

OK, I just tried proxy mode but seem to be unable to convert the JPEG sequences to proxies. They, of course, will convert nicely to HQX. I did convert the HQX converted file to proxy with obvious additional benifit. I also realized that I overstated the ability to achieve realtime 1/2 res playback on the 8K HQX files. Sometimes, it's hard to notice on a silent timelapse that's nevertheless playing smoothly- which it does. However, the proxies of the 8K HQX did play in real time at 1/2 res and quite respectably well at full res.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories