Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 02-10-2017, 09:31 PM   #1
DaveL

Default File Import file placement

When using the source browser to import clips from a camera SD card, Edius (& GVB as well) will reconstruct the entire directory structure from the SD card. This is very clumsy when trying to find these clips outside of Edius.
Is this by design? Is there a way to just import the clip files into a given destination directory when using source browser import?
Old 02-11-2017, 12:52 AM   #2
antonsvideo

it depends on your camera, if you shoot Fat32 file format, clips will be split into 4GB files and source browser will correctly stitch them

in my case, I shoot XDCAM HD 4:2:2 with UDF format, so files don't need stitching at all

so I don't use source browser

instead, I use Windows Explorer to create a folder called HD Clips inside the Project folder, then I copy just the clip files.MXF to the HD Clips folder

done

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:59 AM   #3
David Clarke

I actually find the way EDIUS does it very useful as I can take 40GB worth of footage and just save out a section of it in a full AVCHD structure I can use in any program. If you select 20 clips it will make a "card" of footage with 20 clips on it.

GV Browser on the other hand will make one "card" for every clip which is messy.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:41 AM   #4
DaveL

Thank you both. This tells me this is the way Edius & GVB work. I agree that the card structure that puts multiple files in one place, within a card structure, works OK, but the GVB method of a card structure per clip file is just too clumsy, at least for me.
Follow on questions to complete my understanding:
1) There is no way to tell Edius or GVB to put clips somewhere without the card structure - correct?

2) Why? Is there an advantage to recreating the entire card structure? It doesn't seem to be needed. David, you said any program can read the files when the card structure is present, is that a more standard way of doing things for other programs?

3) Copying clips with win explorer without all the subfiles, is any useful information lost other than clip spanning?
Thanks
Old 02-14-2017, 03:55 AM   #5
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
Thank you both. This tells me this is the way Edius & GVB work. I agree that the card structure that puts multiple files in one place, within a card structure, works OK, but the GVB method of a card structure per clip file is just too clumsy, at least for me.
Follow on questions to complete my understanding:
1) There is no way to tell Edius or GVB to put clips somewhere without the card structure - correct?

2) Why? Is there an advantage to recreating the entire card structure? It doesn't seem to be needed. David, you said any program can read the files when the card structure is present, is that a more standard way of doing things for other programs?

3) Copying clips with win explorer without all the subfiles, is any useful information lost other than clip spanning?
Thanks
The advantages to creating the full card structure are (sort of answers your #'s 2 and 3):

1. You have a complete copy of the card for backup purposes.

2. Depending on the camera, sometimes there is metadata in the additional files that can be beneficial, particularly if you are passing an edited timeline on to another program for finishing, such as Davinci Resolve or the like. This info can include things like the camera model, iso settings, white balance point, camera LUT applied, etc.

3. Also, depending on the codec used, if it uses a closed or open GOP in the case of MPEG types of files, and how and where the splits are created in the spanned clips, you can sometimes encounter dropped or duplicated frames or A/V sync slippage at the span points if the accompanying xml files that essentially tell the software how to stitch the files together is not there.
Edius WG 9.51.5619, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Last edited by BernH; 02-14-2017 at 02:35 PM. Reason: fix typo
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:04 AM   #6
David Clarke

I have imported lots of files without using the card structure in EDIUS with no problems apart from long clips which will have some kind of disturbance at the join. It even seems to keep the recording date and time in the file.

However, I have had problems with other programs without having the card structure - for example I remember old Final Cut Pro 7 would not even let me import the clips if I did not have a complete card structure. So I like to keep it on principle. Most of my AVCHD are also domestic ones so it is possible that there is more info on a professional camera which I do not see and would miss without the card structure.

I also downloaded a program called MSTMerger some time ago which lets me take spanned MTS files and stitch them together in Windows explorer without having the card structure there.

So basically I keep it because I can, but if just faced with some MTS files I can still use them.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:51 PM   #7
DaveL

Thank you, very helpful information.
As always, great folks on this forum.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:25 PM   #8
Marc Hens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
but the GVB method of a card structure per clip file is just too clumsy,
I think you should say 'a card structure per transfer'.
As I transfer all my clips in a single action, all the clips arrive in the same folder.
A second transfer creates a new folder.

If you select all the needed clips in one go, there will only be one card structure.

Marc Hens
laptop: Windows 10 64 bits - Intel i7 6700 - 32 GB RAM - nVIDIA Geoforce GTX1060 - 256 GB m2 SSD + 500 GB Sata-SSD + 1 TB SATA
Marc Hens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:46 PM   #9
Ron Evans

At the moment I have all Sony cameras and use the Sony transfer software to place in a directory I create, named as the show with sub folders by camera ready for backup before I start editing in EDIUS. This way I know all important files are transferred and AVCHD files are correctly joined together as clips. Simply drag to bins ( for each camera ) before I start editing.

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 SATA OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS 9.5 WG, Vegas 17, Resolve Studio 16

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:10 AM   #10
Alade.

I am having gripe trying to import files from P2 cards or HD recorder that records PS files into Edius 8.....is there a way to convert these files to get them into Edius....it worked perfect with 7.5.....

Any help is welcomed
Alade. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS