Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 08-02-2018, 11:48 PM   #11
Editec

Quote NakedEye: “Just make sure your timeline in Edius supports Alpha. In project settings choose YCbCr+Alpha for Alpha Exports to work.” As mentioned in Post #3, “Internally I use the HQX with Alpha all the time within Edius.”, which would suggest that I have the correct settings YCbCr+Alpha. I use Edius for compositing alpha channel effects for use in other Edius Projects, and therefore export in the native format GV HQX with alpha regularly to my effects library.

After sorting out, with the very helpful developer, some nVidia Quadro rendering issues with BluffTitler, I now have a transcoder from GV Uncompessed+Alpha to SpeedHQ 4:4:4:4 (SHQ9) codec. Created a template which is simply drag, drop & export. Easy As. Simples! Hello SpeedHQ, Goodbye QuickTime.
Editec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:14 AM   #12
NakedEye

I just did some quick tests with the NewTek codecs from Edius via QT and also from Premiere CC via QT and AVI. It seems Edius does not produce any file with Alpha regardless of settings used. So Edius QT implementation is at fault here. Premiere produces files with Alpha in both QT and AVI all flavors. Worth noting that AVI from Premiere is max 8bit.

Importing into vMix I found NewTek Mov's did not work but AVI did with a work around also HQX Mov also worked in vMix with the same workaround.

Workaround: Add the source twice and choose one as the source Alpha for the other. Weird!
Main Editor - Edius 8.53 AdobeCC Mini Monitor 4K Intel X99P SLI Intel Core i7 6800K CPU Gigabyte GTX980 SanDisk Ultra Video SSD 1XINTEL System SSD 16GB Kingston DDR4 2400 RAM VisTitle 2.8 Onboard Sound 10GBE LAN WIN10Pro 64bit

Encoding - Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT Intel 4790K CPU Gigabyte GTX550Ti Gigabyte GTX980 Western Digital HDD's LG Blu-ray drive, 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM BMD Mini Monitor 4K Edius 8.53 Creative Cloud Win 10 64bit Pro
www.nakedeyedv.com
NakedEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:27 AM   #13
Editec

Thanks NakedEye for verifying the problem with Edius 8/9 with regards the Grass Valley’s implementation of the SpeedHQ codec using QuickTime. I am surprised the GVModerator dismissed this issue so easily, “You can export to HQX with alpha and use an external app to convert it to the NewTek solution you seek.”

SpeedHQ is a powerful addition to Edius, as it provides a format with high interchangeability and quality, very efficient in its compression scheme, has alpha support, and it is generally very similar to MPEG-2 intraframe. The fact it can be played and edited in so many multimedia applications is remarkable. And its Free for download for both Windows and Apple OSX. The *.AVI wrapper/container is key to its successful implementation.

https://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php/SpeedHQ

As a request to Grass Valley, may I suggest that this codec and its functionality be updated in the next update release for Edius 8 and Edius 9. Let the SpeedHQ codec stand on its own merits, without the need for QuickTime.
Editec is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS