Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 11-19-2010, 02:04 AM   #1
sebazvideo

Default NewBlueFX bundle in Edius 6 very buggy

The NewBlueFX filters bundled with Edius 6 would be nice if they worked, but obviously they're not ready for primetime.

Just to test what they do I started dragging a few of them onto clips in the timeline. The first one was Video Tuneup. Immediately it turns the video black and white, because it defaults to the first preset in the filter, which is in this case, black and white. First problem there, since most users will not want to turn their clip to black and white, but choosing "Reset to None" from the preset menu turns it back to normal. But, the "Use Keyframes" checkmark is on, and I don't want keyframes in this case, so I turn that off. It goes back to black and white. Again, I have to choose "Reset to None" from the preset menu. Now, if this was the whole problem, it would be an annoyance, but it could still be used.

Now I change Contrast and Brightness values. I click OK. But then I decide I want to change the values I entered, so in the Information box, I double click on Video Tuneup. The filter's dialog box pops up, and the clip goes black and white again. The black and white preset got loaded automatically for no good reason. If I cancel, the dialog goes away and I get the clip as I had left it, with the previous values.

Because these NewBlue filters are not real time, I render the clip. When the render finishes, the picture is nothing like what it looked like with the filter applied. It would appear that it's the original clip without any filters added. Except that if I uncheck Video Tuneup in the information box, showing the original clip unmodified, it looks slightly different, a little bit darker.

Now, let's go back to when I double clicked on the Video Tuneup filter in the information box, it opened and it turned to black and white, losing all the values I had entered before. If I click OK, then I definitely lose the previous values, because the clip remains with that preset applied. In fact, if I select any of the other presets, if I open the filter's dialog again, it will still revert to the black and white preset.

I tried doing this but with Use Keyframes selected and assigning the value to the first keyframe. Same thing happens.

I tried this also with Color Fixer Plus and Dual Booster and they exhibit the same exact behaviour. Now, I don't understand how can this be released like this. This may be a bundle, but it is a selling point for Edius, albeit not the strongest selling point, but as part of the list of features in Edius 6 we are informed that we are getting these NewBlueFX filters, and I don't know if all of them, but at least some of the important ones are useless as they are. Not only you can't refine the parameters once you clicked OK, but when you render the clip it leaves you with something other than what you previewed while adjusting it.

This, by the way, is on a completely fresh install of Windows 7 64 bit from yesterday, on a formatted and zeroed out hard drive with Edius 6 installed from the original installation disc, and the 6.01 upgrade on top.

I think this is completely unnaceptable. Even if these are 3rd party filters, they are bundled with Edius 6, and they should work fine from the start. It seems obvious to me that nobody tried these filters more than a few minutes, and perhaps not even, because I saw not two minutes after I dragged the filter onto the clip. Grass Valley may have not created these filters, but since they ship bundled with Edius, they should have tested them. And obviously New Blue should fix this right away. Because there's a difference between shipping a product with a few bugs that happen only in certain scenarios, and something that is completely unusable as it is.
sebazvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:45 AM   #2
TrackRanger

Pat mentioned yesterday that "Third party filters are not part of the demo and there is no guarantee that they will work with it." This seems odd though, if they are supposed to work with the release version (i.e. 6 / 6.01), why would GV not have them working with the demo of the same version?

If GV advertise that they are bundled with the version 6 release, surely it is expected that they would work, be tested, etc. There's been quite a few posts about NewBlueFX and Edius 6. Most not very positive.

Do you have the demo or the actual release?

It seems from many posters that the NewBlueFX have a long way to go...
Intel Quad Core Extreme 3GHz/12M, 4Gb RAM, 2Tb Hot-swap (ARAID), NVIDIA GeoForce 8800 GTS, Edius Broadcast 4.61 / Edius 5.5, Procoder 3, DVDit Pro HD, Sonicfire Pro 5, Mercalli, Vitascene, Adorage. TwinPact 100, Pegasus, TMPro. VirtualDub
TrackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:00 AM   #3
sebazvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRanger View Post
Pat mentioned yesterday that "Third party filters are not part of the demo and there is no guarantee that they will work with it."

Do you have the demo or the actual release?
Yes, yesterday early in the day I tried the NewBlueFX bundle with the demo, but later I reformatted another drive (long format), installed Windows 7 with all the updates and drivers, software, etc, and then finally Edius 6 from the original installation disc, and then applied the 6.01 update, so these filters are supposed to work properly and they don't, which I'm not too happy about considering that I paid $670 for the whole Edius/Spark thing. I'm not saying that I regret it, but I paid something that to me is a large amount of money and I can't use part of what I paid for.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:52 AM   #4
Bluetongue

It must be a problem with 6 as there is absolutely no problem as reported in the earlier posts when used in 5
Makes you wonder how the changes may have effected the operation of the program, not looking good

Regards Barry

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,
Bluetongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:03 AM   #5
sebazvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetongue View Post
It must be a problem with 6 as there is absolutely no problem as reported in the earlier posts when used in 5
Makes you wonder how the changes may have effected the operation of the program, not looking good
When you say "used in 5" what do you mean exactly? Are you talking about the same filters that are in the Edius 6 bundle, but used with Edius 5? Or are you talking about the NewBlue bundle that came with Edius 5? Because those are a different set of filters.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #6
Bluetongue

I am talking about the FULL Version from NewBlue and they will load into 5 or 6.
All have been updated to the latest version and what I mean by "Use in 5" is what I would have expected to mean
Add Filter
Adjust Filter
Readjust filter
And all parameters are held, but it seems this is not happening in 6?

Regards Barry

Old 11-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #7
John Lewis

I started a thread on Blue Fx Rolling shutter filter with only one reply. Maybe that many users arent interested in BLue FX
John Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #8
Bluetongue

Sorry John
I must have missed it, or could not comment as I have no problem so far with the filters other than they require rendering or most do, there were some issues initially but if you kept up with the upgrades it seemed to be reasonable and not causing problems.
Remember I run a really lean OS with minimal extranious services and programs running, and I do use ATI graphics cards, Sorry they just work.
All my problems earlier were GPU related

Regards Barry

Old 11-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
John Lewis

Here it is
http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/fo...hlight=rolling
Render only works with render to timeline all others render but upon play red line re appears
New Clean OS and E6.01 only
John Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
Bluetongue

I think I remember seeing that but could not comment as it works perfectly here, just tried it again on a pan from my HFS21 which has a rolling shutter but cannot see any problem, makes me worry for when I have to upgrade my computer
Regards Barry

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS