Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > MYNC

Old 11-17-2017, 03:59 PM   #11
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clarke View Post
Not quite. If you update the hard drive folders Mync does not automatically update. If you add some clips to the hard drive folders you will need to add them to Mync as well.
Is it possible to "update" the catalogue of Mync so that it takes the new elements added on the HDisk into account ?

Sorry for my poor english, I am french native speaking

Main System: Azus Z87 Pro, 4770K@3.5Ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GT 630, Windows 7 Pro 64, Samsung 840 pro, Edius 8.52 + NXexpress or HDspark, 3T separate video HD.
Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #12
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clarke View Post
So you may say why bother with Mync. The answer is you can use it to organise the stuff using Mync in the first place rather than organising it with Windows. Put all the files in one place, register all the clips to Mync and then tag then and use catalogues and smart catalogues to organising them instead of organising in Windows explorer. In Mync you can play lots of clips Windows can't, you can see information Windows can't and you can add more information and tags, which Windows cannot do.
So, if I follow you, I should put all my files in one big folder on the hard disk...I think that the limit is around 4,294,967,295.... Which is a bit reduced....
... and then organize and structure my files in Mync only.... ?

I expected that Mync could create automatically a dynamic catalogue (or smart catalogue) based on a folder with subfolder from the Hardisk and redeable from Edius.

Adding some files on HardDisk and a automatic actualization of Mync to include the new files (or the modified structure) and the job done for Mync as for Edius.... but I begin to realize that what I want is not possible this way....

When files are coming, day after day, you have to organize it a minimum in a Folder with sub-folder... per theme, date, type. This has to go fast to avoid lost of time... But to produce a film the organization may be different... is that what Mync propose ? In this case I have to forget the "mirroring" between the HardDisk and Mync.... and use Mync as an organiser and interface to use in Edius in place of using the BIN and have heavy projects to open because to much files in the BIN (not used in the time line)...

Please confirm my understanding...

Edius and Mync are then so automatically installed as DVD maker or Quick Title ?

Main System: Azus Z87 Pro, 4770K@3.5Ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GT 630, Windows 7 Pro 64, Samsung 840 pro, Edius 8.52 + NXexpress or HDspark, 3T separate video HD.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:44 PM   #13
David Clarke

Mync is automatically installed with EDIUS.

You can just use it as a fancy "explorer" which plays all types of video clips, unlike Windows. Or you can register clips to the library and use it to organise things.

In your case all your media is on one drive in one set of folders. One advantage of Mync is that you could registered hundreds of folders from many different hard drives and all the clips tagged "brighton", for example, would show up in a Smart catalogue you make to show all clips tagged in this way. It does not matter which hard drive they are on they would all been available in one place in Mync.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #14
Haddock

Thanks for the constant follow-up...

I have to change my way of thinking and I am a little bit slow.

Just another question.

Conditions :

Let's say that with Mync I create a "catalogue of all tools I systematically use" in many productions : Background video, pictures, graphism and signature and so on... thinks that are coming back. All the "tools" are spread on different Hardisks and server (always connected)....

And this "catalogue of all tools I systematically use" is registered in the Mync available in Edius...

Questions : Does that mean that each time I create a new project in Edius (wich is empty at first startup) I have immediately access to "catalogue of all tools I systematically use" ?

Old 11-17-2017, 04:58 PM   #15
Haddock

Sorry but I close my day now... so your answer is not urgent.

Thanks again

Old 11-17-2017, 05:04 PM   #16
David Clarke

Yes, your EDIUS project always starts with nothing in it but if you go to the source browser and Mync you will see all your regularly used items and can bring them into the project.

With the risk of complicating things you could use a totally different option, assuming you use the same assets all the time, and that is to create a project template which has all these items in it and use that to start a new projects. Project templates are nothing to do with Mync but a way of starting a project set up with bins and assets you need already there.

I would use a project template for assets I use all the time and Mync to catalogue lots of clips I have on the hard drive and may use from time to time.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:27 PM   #17
Haddock

Thanks for the answer.

So we are back to the solution I use today (see pictures attached).

Starting from a "preconfigured" structure on the HD that I copy in a new project folders...Starting Edius ans save as... under the new Project Name.

Day after day, I complete my needs on the HD and insert in the BIN already prepared with a similar structure...

It is twice the job but Edius BIN and HD foder structure are similar.

To minimize the haviness of Edius, I transform havy tiff images 5472x3648 in 1920*1080 tga. In bin of Edius, I only open the 1920*1080. I only use in Edius the maximum resolution if I need to zoom in dynamically.

So, to conclude, Mync a very nice system to consult and create cataloque but not to manage dynamically all the files necessary for a project...

Thanks to confirm and thanks to help me in sparing time to not learn Mync to far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edius-Full-HD.jpg (278.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Edius-Full-HD-Bin.jpg (45.7 KB, 11 views)

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > MYNC