Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder

Old 01-15-2008, 11:27 AM   #31
rando

You do some awsome work hopfully Canopus/GV will inegrate your stuff into PC 3. I have a quad 2.4 I guess my render times will be in the 10 or 11 to 1 range. I was going to get a new machine for this (8 core) but with render times like that I cant see it make that big a difference. Its good to know that if I client asks for Blue-ray that I can deliver now.

Thanks Again
rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:46 AM   #32
shueardm

Pleasure.
I think Khoi said he has an 8 core and he wasn't maxing them out where my 2 x 2 cores was. I guess this means that a single quad core will be slower and your guess is probably on the money 1>11 for the same clock speed. However, using 8 cores and 2 jobs via queue manager would max it out, if you are really into it and have the need- the best idea would be an 8 core 1U rack system just to encode from the network watch folders. Then you don't hold up your edit station, use hot swap drives and bring in the encoded jobs to author.
There is the Squeeze hardware H.264 encoder which can do near real time HD but Squeeze doesn't have Raw H.264 stream support yet. Even if it did, you spend 6 grand on the card + you still need a fullly specked 8 core system to run it..... so there's another 6 grand. We just have to get used to long render times for HD I am afraid.
Mark
Old 01-15-2008, 11:49 AM   #33
shueardm

Sweet Joe. It's wierd that it doesn't obey our rules :) AT least I think the average is maintained.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:01 PM   #34
rando

I do weddings(long stuff) and I have a full time job so I am always thinking workflow. I am always exportng from the timeline I thought maybe I could export on one machine to a single file (like a AVI) then bring it into my quad 2.4 for rendering while I continue editing but the uncompressed AVI was HUGE! So I may just have to bite the bullet right now and box out 11 hours for rendering until technology catches up. I dont think i'll have that much blue-ray this year anyway.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:14 PM   #35
shueardm

"uncompressed" ? Just use Canopus HQ format over a gigabit network.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:18 PM   #36
rando

mmm...thanks again. I could have Edius running on my editiing machine and PC 3 running on my server/Render machine. That way I could get like a 2.8 gig Imac for the editing and use the Quad for Rendering. Will the I-mac make the Canopus HQ in RT(in Windows of course)
Old 01-15-2008, 05:44 PM   #37
GrassValley_MD
Mike Downey... The Jollymon

I worked for a company that wanted to sell computers with the video gear and I designed a dual computer system that used a gigait crossover cable to connect them.

One was geared for editing and the other was configured for optimal (at the time) encoding and DVD creation and duplication.

I used a switch box so I could share the same keyboard, mouse and monitor between them.

The work flow was to finish the edit, create a HQ file over the network to a watch folder on the other computer that starts the encode automatically without any input or interaction from me.

It worked pretty good :)

Mike
GrassValley_MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:06 PM   #38
Crespel

Mark,
you may remember: on my 8 core system I had a rendering performance with old settings between 50-80% CPU utilisation over all 8 cores.
With my 4 core system and the new settings I have a CPU utilisation of constantly 100% over all 4 cores.
That is super !
Regards
Joe
Crespel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:47 PM   #39
shueardm

Sorry I thought that was Khoi :)

So yeah, dual dual cores are great but if you can get 2 jobs queue'd it would max them out (all 8 cores) I imagine.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #40
Crespel

I tried the new presets with the AVCHD(H264)-1920x1080/50i/AC3/PAL setting.
Rendering Time on a logical 4 Core system 30 minutes footage = 7 hours with 95-100% CPU utilization of all 4 Cores.
I had no errors in the Encore Authoring/Building process.
Great - thanks again Mark.
Crespel is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder