Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 12:30 AM   #21
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
Thanks for the clarification Bern as I changed my post. Did not realize it was Gbps instead of Bytes!
Yep, big B little b things can easily get overlooked.
Edius WG 9.40.5106, various 3rd party plugins, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
Old 06-09-2019, 12:53 AM   #22
ulyssesvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
After reading through this thread, I think Ulysses needs to apologize to Dave. It may be a minor thing but Dave just made a video to help folks and is also technically correct after being accused of being ignorant of technical details.

Now maybe the new spec will allow for more efficient transfers or management, as new is often improved. But, I think in the end of the day, we all just want the correct facts to be talked about, not who is wrong or right. Using Bern's math below, an NvMe drive will saturate the USB-C interface but not the upcoming USB 4 bus. So maybe there is confusion between the SATA and NvMe bus? I got the math wrong before I edited this post as I did not pay attention to Gbps instead of GBps :(

To me, the best thing about this setup is that it is bus powered. Very useful to not have to plug it in the wall.

Hope this can just be resolved as it is small potatoes but polite discourse is important imho.
but the thing here is this... I never accused him of anything.. I never said anything about his video.. that's the issue here to the person who posted it . if I was wrong or right.. not the issue here in regards of the post with the video. I put forward my views about speed and what will be in years to come.... for usb4 to be fast...it need the right ssd drive and hardware to drive it. at the moment that's not going to be happening but it will. the fact that he wasn't polite and was very rude to me doesn't help the situation... its not the first time he has done this to users on here.
if he was polite and didnt bully me by saying crap about me like.... I would of apologise... but no I wont.
thanks
Old 06-09-2019, 05:04 AM   #23
Ron Evans

I use one of these https://www.vantecusa.com/products_d...+Accessoriesto directly edit from the 1T Samsung SSD's used in my Atomos Ninja V. If I do a copy from this setup it will transfer to an internal drive at about 360MBps. The drives are in a caddy for the Ninja V so this is the best way to edit those files directly or do a copy and I do not need to remove from the Ninja V caddy. Interface is fast enough to edit from as Dave has said. I also have one that is just USB 3 as my computer only has one USB C but also a USB 3.1 Gen2 ( same speed as the USB C port ) so I can have two of these drives connected at the same time. Not as fast as internal connection that would be about 5ooMBps but fast enough. Unit comes with a nice plastic box to store the SSD that I do not use as mine are already in ATOMOS caddies.

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 SATA OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS 8.53WG, Vegas 16, Resolve Studio 16

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V
Old 06-09-2019, 07:57 AM   #24
DigitalDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulyssesvideo View Post
but the thing here is this... I never accused him of anything.. I never said anything about his video.. that's the issue here to the person who posted it . if I was wrong or right.. not the issue here in regards of the post with the video. I put forward my views about speed and what will be in years to come.... for usb4 to be fast...it need the right ssd drive and hardware to drive it. at the moment that's not going to be happening but it will. the fact that he wasn't polite and was very rude to me doesn't help the situation... its not the first time he has done this to users on here.
if he was polite and didnt bully me by saying crap about me like.... I would of apologise... but no I wont.
thanks
It's not the first time you have been shown to be wrong here. Just apologise and move on. People will respect you more rather than arguing like a pratt akin to the man on the bridge in Monty Python and the Holy Grail...and then saying "We'll call it a draw."
Old 06-09-2019, 08:16 AM   #25
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernH View Post
Yep, big B little b things can easily get overlooked.
Hi Bern.

Don't forget the small i as well :)

I remember back in the day when everything was all measured as 1024 and then the shift to 1000, KiB VS KB etc.

And also Words of two 8 bit bytes, basically 16 bits.

I used to use some very early samplers that measured in Words for RAM although the manufacturer would often quote MiB in 8 bit Words. This would get very confusing conversing with other sound engineers or producers in critical recording scenarios as the storage/recording RAM was so small anyway and you'd be measuring digital recording/sampling time in fractions of seconds. Especially when the base memory was only 32, 64 or 128 KiB and the data dumps to floppy were only small. I used to use quick disk floppies which had very little space, so storage calculations were a proper issue.

You'd very often have to bit budget by dropping the sampling bit depth right down to 8 bit and drop the sampling frequencies as well depending on the acoustic frequency response of the source.

Nyquist would have been turning in his grave :)

I've never found out why the shift to 1000 was made. Especially bearing in mind that everything is done in binary which is obviously base-2 where 1000 isn't represented by any single bit.

Maybe it was done to simplify the math as people may have been short-handing anyway. Similar to 29.97 and 30 FPS, where 29.97 gets short-handed to 30 although they are both uniquely different frame rates.

Who knows :)

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Old 06-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #26
ulyssesvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDave View Post
It's not the first time you have been shown to be wrong here. Just apologise and move on. People will respect you more rather than arguing like a pratt akin to the man on the bridge in Monty Python and the Holy Grail...and then saying "We'll call it a draw."
I have respect for you digital dave... we have butted heads once before.
I have moved on from that. I know you know your stuff.
as for the other person.. apologise?? nope wont do that... sorry... if i was wrong, there are ways to tell someone apart from how he did it..
I do agree that while in our current age of tech.. yeah no advantages.. as I have been editing with edius with external usb 3 drives for the last 3 yrs!.... but in a few years that will change and that's what I was trying to express and we all know it will change and get faster and faster.... but of course... no one saw that and no one cared... especially the person who posted his video..
like I said and will say it again.. I NEVER said he was wrong... I said basically in years to come there will be better options to edit with.. for example usb4.
thanks
Closed Thread

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories