Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 07-09-2018, 06:34 PM   #1
Teeafit

Default Voiceover countdown stops at 2

EDIUS 9.20.3340, Windows 7 Pro

I've been using the Voiceover facility for years with no trouble, but suddenly it's stopped working it counts down from 5 to 2, but then just stops and aborts.

This is not a mic connection problem, as the bar graph in the Voiceover window is showing level as normal, and I can use the same setup to record in (say) Goldwave.

As far as I'm aware, nothing has changed in the computer setup I've investigated the various appropriate settings, and all seem to be normal.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Teeafit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #2
David Clarke

This always works between in and out points in the timeline. Do you have any set?
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:42 PM   #3
Teeafit

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clarke View Post
This always works between in and out points in the timeline. Do you have any set?
David —

Thanks for the response. Yes, I do have an In Point set (and the Out Point sets itself at the undefined far end of the timeline, unless you set it earlier). I'm doing nothing that I've not done for years of successful VO recording, but suddenly it doesn't work!

Any chance that there's been a recent (background) upgrade to v9.20.3340 that I've not noticed, and it's a glitch? I'd appreciate confirmation from anybody using VO with this version whether or not it still works for them.

It may be that I have to roll back to an earlier version to see if it worked then.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:30 PM   #4
GrassValley_SL

Works here can you try making a new user profile in EDIUS select it an try the capture again?

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support
GrassValley_SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:35 PM   #5
Teeafit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_SL View Post
Works here can you try making a new user profile in EDIUS select it an try the capture again?
Steve

Yes, that worked OK, thanks. I then tried going back to my original profile, and once again it aborted at '2'.

So what best to do next? I don't really want to start to build my whole profile from scratch again! Can I do anything to repair the original profile? Can I copy/paste from the new to the old? I confess, I don't really know a great deal about profiles, being an only-editor who's built up my preferences a bit at a time over the years, and left the machine to its own devices.

Regards, GRAEME.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:43 PM   #6
GrassValley_SL

Did you back up your profile at any point? If not you will have to use the new Profile.

You can export certain things and import them again. But I think it is best to set everything up as you like and after export your new profile and store it .

Old 07-10-2018, 04:50 PM   #7
Teeafit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_SL View Post
Did you back up your profile at any point?
Steve

I've not backed up my profile in itself, but I'm pretty sure (but will have to check) that I backed up my system before I upgraded to v9. But what am I looking for? Profiles seem to have a *.eup extension, but I can't find any such files on my current C: drive.

I also have the v8 files still available on the C: drive I won't have significantly changed my profile since then, so can I possibly extract the old profile from there?

Regards, GRAEME.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:59 PM   #8
David Clarke

User profiles are stored here:
C:\Users\dvc\AppData\Roaming\Grass Valley\EDIUS\9.00 or
C:\Users\dvc\AppData\Roaming\Grass Valley\EDIUS\8.00

You could try copying the information in the EDIUS 8 folder to the EDIUS 9 one and seeing what happens. Just move the stuff out of the EDIUS 9 folder first so you clean the folder and put it back afterwards.

I assume you removed EDIUS 8 when installing EDIUS 9? You can actually have both on the same machine so instead of doing the above you could reinstall EDIUS 8.53, open EDIUS 8 and export your user settings etc and try and load it in EDIUS 9.

It does depend on how much you actually customised it. Do you make your own effects presets, or just change some capture settings and make some project presets? I don't really have effects presets I carry from one version to another so it actually takes me about 3 minutes to make the basic changes in the settings that I normally make from a completely flat use profile. Which I frankly easier than installing old versions and moving files around.

I did some videos about setting up EDIUS 9 from scratch which you can see here: http://www.dvctraining.co.uk/installing-edius-9/
Which may help you set things up from scratch instead of faffing around and there is also a link to my own user settings you can download and use if you want on that page.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:53 PM   #9
GrassValley_SL

Good points. We actually recommend creating a new user profile with a new version. Saves a lot of headaches...

Old 07-10-2018, 06:22 PM   #10
Teeafit

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clarke View Post
User profiles are stored here:
You could try copying the information in the EDIUS 8 folder to the EDIUS 9 one and seeing what happens. Just move the stuff out of the EDIUS 9 folder first so you clean the folder and put it back afterwards.
I didn't have a great deal of luck, as not everything ported over... some of my presets weren't there, and my keyboard shortcuts were missing. Maybe I didn't do it right, but I've decided that starting from scratch maybe isn't so bad as there was a lot of legacy stuff there that's perhaps not applicable any more.

So I've started again, and it's no big deal at least I've got my vital Voiceover facility back again! I wonder why it went away?

[Great to make contact with David Clarke again, and to see a sample of his v9 tutorial videos always useful stuff when you're stuck, and worth the cost. I might see what Santa brings me next Christmas!]

Regards, GRAEME.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS