Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 01-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
dolby

Default How to set PAN on a couple of sounds on timeline at same time?

Has anybody the solution how to ser the pan settings to some value at same time? Now I have to set the pan one by one, there is no chance to link this process? Can I set the volume of selected files in one or two or more tracks at the same time? Is here some keybord shortcut? It will help me very much, It realy boring to set it in the 2 hours timelines and eight audi tracs with from sound recorder, which records the 2 mono tracks in to two L and R channel. Then I have to copy their into two simple stand alone track with PAN sets to 0.

GIGABYTE x79 UD4, Intel Core i7 i3930k @4200 Mhz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 760, 14x internal HDD, HD SPARK, Sound Blaster Audigy, LG DVD-RW, WINDOWS 10 x64.
dolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
GrassValley_SL

You can with the mixer.
It does it for the whole track.

Or you can use the pan pot balance save a preset and apply it to the selected clips.

You can also adjust the "panning" (actually channel out) with the sequence map before bringing in your clips.

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support
GrassValley_SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
dolby

Thank you for the fast reply,

PAN POT save preset is ok with my style of work. But I often exports my projects to Protools and have fear with a lot of not working combination of AAF settings. Mabye GRASS VALLEY could make the the basic presets to transfer project to most important audio softwares.

There are some specifications about which I dont know before trying this. It cost me a lot of time. In PROTOOLS, Stereo tracks without marking the pan settings option in EXPORT AAF dialog will be mixed down to mono in the result in PROTOOLS. To repair this, You have to mark "Enable Pan settings", but I am not sure if AAF will records my Panpot and Balance effect in exported AAF project. But there is another one specs: When you mark "Enable Pan Settings" you automatically get two tracks instead of one mono tracks /L mono tracks and right mono track, they are the same, you dont need it twice/. This means you have two more times tracks in PROTOOLS where you need to export stereo from edius, or you have to devide the stereo track to two mono L and R tracs and then you have to split their in PROOTOOLS. Because you have to make the order in the several tracs and is better to have there the stereo track together. In documentary or fature film you have the stereo and mono track inside one project. Do you have the more detailed specs of AAF export?

I am director, working here with top slovak and czech editors. They are working on Final Cuts, Avid, and only with me with Edius, because I love him and they have respected me. But they are nervous with some unlogicall mechanism inside Edius. Absolutely most important for a profesional editors is not a lot of function and effects /The are very good for weedings/ but the order in the work on timeline. They have a problem to insert tracks inside the other track or move the a sequence of cuts. Sometimes they dont know why the edius will not hold the sync in project. I know that is about knowledge of contorlling but for filmmaker this is the most important. In Edius you have to specify the track where you can copy it, ripple mode, owerwite mode... there are a lot of things you have to think about where you insert or move track in the timeline...This is more user and human friendly in other professional systems. They have the sync as most important paramater. In Edius I am also not sure what the program do when I copy the multitracs from one timeline insde the multitracs. Sometimes I am very surprised. Maybe the mistake is inside us, I cut only with edius for 5 years but the have true with this. It is really more complicated oppsite the Final Cut and Avid.

I hope that I explain this correctly, sorry for my english.

GIGABYTE x79 UD4, Intel Core i7 i3930k @4200 Mhz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 760, 14x internal HDD, HD SPARK, Sound Blaster Audigy, LG DVD-RW, WINDOWS 10 x64.
dolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:32 AM   #4
GrassValley_SL

EDIUS also has sync mode and everything stays in perfect sync.

Most people use sync on ripple off which never gets them in to any sync problem.

From experience most people who turn ripple on loose sync and get weird unexpected results.

You can keep stereo tracks together but that depends on how you set up patches.
You can also have mono and stereo-tracks in one project.

So a stereo track does not have to split between 2 mono channels if you don't want to.

EDIUS is used by lots of broadcasters world wide.

I can't comment on the path to protools I need to get it for testing.

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support

Last edited by GrassValley_SL; 01-19-2012 at 12:38 AM.
GrassValley_SL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS