Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 05-17-2019, 04:54 PM   #1
Ciss

Default Can I use ADVC-100 to capture to mpeg

I have just purchased the highly rated Canopus ADVC100 capture device. I have Windows Movie Maker to capture the VHS video movie, but that fails to import the movie after capture as it is missing some codec that I need. That's one problem. The other problem is that I use TMPEG video wizard dvd to edit my movies, but it will not import WMV files. Is there a way I can import a WMV file to TMPEG video wizard, if not how can I capture to an mpeg file? Nero captures in AVI format, which I find to be horrendously large. Is there another program I can use to capture in mpeg format? Thanks.
https://diceus.com/bespoke-software-...disadvantages/

Last edited by Ciss; 05-23-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Ciss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:08 PM   #2
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciss View Post
I have just purchased the highly rated Canopus ADVC100 capture device. I have Windows Movie Maker to capture the VHS video movie, but that fails to import the movie after capture as it is missing some codec that I need. That's one problem. The other problem is that I use TMPEG video wizard dvd to edit my movies, but it will not import WMV files. Is there a way I can import a WMV file to TMPEG video wizard, if not how can I capture to an mpeg file? Nero captures in AVI format, which I find to be horrendously large. Is there another program I can use to capture in mpeg format? Thanks.
ADVC-100 is an SD analog to DV converter. It only converts to/from a DV stream, It will not convert to any flavour of MPEG. Essentiall, it give you the same thing a mini-DV camera gives you, just without the ability to control the tape transport.

If I am reading your statement correctly, if windows movie maker will not open the very files you have captured with it, (since it captures, it must see the DV stream correctly), I think you have a sick windows movie maker.

If however you are meaning to say the the TMPEG stuff will not open a file captured by movie maker that is another story. When dealing with one to capture and another to edit, it's possible that one software makes the files in a format the other doesn't like.

It is possible to convert files from one format to another using commercial transcoders or free ones like XMedia Recode, Hybrid, Handbrake, etc. but for simplicity, why not capture and edit in the same software? This would probably make things a lot simpler. Any software that can capture from a Mini-DV camera can take the feed from the ADVC-100.

Perhaps something like Pinnacle Studio would be a better fit? It is a very mature but easy to use consumer level editing software, that would probably be able to do everything you need in one application. I haven't used it in many years, but it used to be able to capture directly from firewire, and if it still can, should be able yo take a feed from the ADVC-100. They also have their own analog capture boxes that work with it. Have a look. https://www.pinnaclesys.com/en/

If you have problems with Nero and TMPEG products and the containers and codecs that they can use, the best place to ask those questions is on the NERO and TMPEG forums, not the forum for the ADVC-100
Edius WG 9.50.5351, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:55 AM   #3
growweedeasy101

I'm having the same problem. Thanks for your answer
growweedeasy101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC