Old 01-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
NoobieGuy

Default 3 Cam split screen

Hey!
I am making a guitar tut with 3 cameras:
1: on my right picking hand
2: on my left fretting hand
3: overhead view

Any tips on doing a PiP / splitscreen video?
This is my first...
URLs/Links or even page references in the manual would be great...

Thanks!
R
NoobieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
pjsssss

If you want just a straight 3 screen split screen use the Layouter (F7) and adjust with Crop and then adjust your clip position. 3D PIP can be sued if you want soft edges.
pjsssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
NoobieGuy

Hey PJS,
Thanks for replying!

I have never used the layouter (but willing to learn :) ), here are two designs that I thought I would go for:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 01-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
pjsssss

All of those will work. Just stack the clips on top of each other and then use Layouter to adjust crop, scale, and position as needed.
pjsssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
NoobieGuy

Thanks, will try it and come back if I hit a wall.

Cheers again !
Old 01-05-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
BillShedoudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobieGuy View Post
Hey PJS,
Thanks for replying!

I have never used the layouter (but willing to learn :) ), here are two designs that I thought I would go for:

Just FYI, the first design above is much cleaner and more professional-looking. In the second design the 2 pips are of different sizes, plus they are blocking portions of the main screen. Even if they aren't blocking important parts of the main screen it is still visually distracting to a viewer.
BillShedoudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:01 AM   #7
NoobieGuy

Thanks for replying!

The first one is the "standard one" but the second one will be used when I sometimes have a "side shot" and those parts with the pips are the unimportant parts.
Either way I need to learn how to do the second part as well.. the thing is, at times the PiPs will have to move up or down depending on the scene because the guitar/cam may not be held perfectly still in place. Suggestions?
Old 01-05-2011, 07:22 AM   #8
BillShedoudy

Quote:
Thanks for replying!

Either way I need to learn how to do the second part as well.. the thing is, at times the PiPs will have to move up or down depending on the scene because the guitar/cam may not be held perfectly still in place. Suggestions?
My suggestion is to just use the first design.
Personally, I think the second design is very poor and would not recommend you bothering to learn it. Besides the method is the same with any of them. If you learn one you have essentially learned them all. Make a few styles and save them as presets to save yourself a lot of aggravation down the road.
You can move the image in the #1 pip of the first design (not the pip itself, the image within it) if an important part is cropped, but most importantly any use of pips should be done very judiciously. Especially if you are planning to move them visibly while onscreen. That I certainly would not recommend.
Best thing is to design your pips layout so all of the image is shown in each pip. That way you should not have to move anything. Again, you should not plan on using the pips much at all. In fact, why do you feel you even need to use a pip again?

BillShedoudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #9
GrassValley_CP
Grass Valley

Quote:
Thanks for replying!

The first one is the "standard one" but the second one will be used when I sometimes have a "side shot" and those parts with the pips are the unimportant parts.
Also easily done with the Layouter tool or 3D PiP, both of which allow for movement of the PiP windows and assignment of keyframes for the movement. You can have them move to multiple locations throughout the frame as well, slowly or quickly sliding across the frame, or just jumping there--it's all in the keyframes.
GrassValley_CP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
NoobieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillShedoudy View Post
In fact, why do you feel you even need to use a pip again?
Its a requirement of this project. The higher powers have already decided... I just have to play ball :)

Quote:
Also easily done with the Layouter tool or 3D PiP, both of which allow for movement of the PiP windows and assignment of keyframes for the movement. You can have them move to multiple locations throughout the frame as well, slowly or quickly sliding across the frame, or just jumping there--it's all in the keyframes.
Is there a quick tutorial for this? Would really like at least a tiny bump in the right direction to get this started.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS