Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 04-22-2019, 05:54 PM   #1
Jeff

Default Lenovo T580 - Integrated Graphics"

Office has a sudden need for a an Edius 9 laptop to go to Italy for a trip. I have to have it in my hands by June 16th. IT already has a stock laptop pre-quoted and ready to go and I'm looking at specs and see.

Quote:
Notebook ThinkPad T580 . Lenovo ThinkPad T580.
Windows 10 Home 64;
Integrated Graphics; T580 i5-8250U IG;
Intel Core i5-8250U Processor (6MB Cache, 1.6GHz);
Memory; 8GB DDR4 2400MHz SODIMM;
Hardware dTPM;
Display Panel 15.6'
Reader; Intel Dual Band Wireless AC(2x2) 8265, Bluetooth Version 4.1, vPro; Smart Card Reader;
Battery 1: 4 Cell Li-Polymer Battery 32WH; Battery 2: 3cell Battery 24Wh
Rear; 500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm, 2.5',
SATA3, OPAL2.0 - Capable;
65W AC Adapter (2pin) - US (USB Type C);
Keyboard with Number Pad - English; Warranty Think 3 Year On-site
Now Edius 9 needs.
Quote:
Any Intel Core 2 or Core iX
Memory 1GB minimum (4GB or more recommended)
Hard Disk ‒ 6 GB of hard disk space is required for installation
‒ Drive with ATA100/7,200 RPM or faster is required for video storage
Optical Drive ‒ DVD-ROM drive is required to install EDIUS software.
‒ Blu-ray Disc writer is required when creating Blu-ray Discs
‒ DVD-R/RW or DVD+R/RW drive is required when creating DVDs.
Graphics Card ‒ Supporting higher resolution than 1024×768 32-bit. Direct3D 9.0c or later and PixelShader Model 3.0 or later is required.
‒ 512MB minimum video memory for SD/HD editing (2GB minimum vide
o memory in 4K editing)

Sound Card Sound card with WDM driver support is required
OS Windows 10 64-bit (version 1607 or later)
Network Internet connection required for software license activation and EDIUS I
D authorization.
I'm assuming that the laptop's sound card will suffice.
It's the video card that I'm worried about. From what I've gathered it's using the "Intel UHD Graphics 620" Which does not have any dedicated video memory but does have access to the system memory. "Due to its lack of dedicated graphics memory or eDRAM cache, the HD 620 has to access the main memory (2x 64bit DDR3/DDR4)."

So, am I good with the stock intergragted graphics that has access to the laptop's 8 gb of system ram or do I need to get IT to bump it up to the NVIDIA® GeForce® MX150 2 GB GDDR5 (optional), which may take much longer getting the laptop to me?

I NEED this by June 16th, and I think the stock laptop will be ready to go, I currently don't know the turn around on building a laptop with the Nvidia and I'm awaiting for someone to get around to responding to my "helpdesk ticket" that I put in last week.

Thanks for your help and feedback.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:53 AM   #2
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Office has a sudden need for a an Edius 9 laptop to go to Italy for a trip. I have to have it in my hands by June 16th. IT already has a stock laptop pre-quoted and ready to go and I'm looking at specs and see.

Now Edius 9 needs.

I'm assuming that the laptop's sound card will suffice.
It's the video card that I'm worried about. From what I've gathered it's using the "Intel UHD Graphics 620" Which does not have any dedicated video memory but does have access to the system memory. "Due to its lack of dedicated graphics memory or eDRAM cache, the HD 620 has to access the main memory (2x 64bit DDR3/DDR4)."

So, am I good with the stock intergragted graphics that has access to the laptop's 8 gb of system ram or do I need to get IT to bump it up to the NVIDIA® GeForce® MX150 2 GB GDDR5 (optional), which may take much longer getting the laptop to me?

I NEED this by June 16th, and I think the stock laptop will be ready to go, I currently don't know the turn around on building a laptop with the Nvidia and I'm awaiting for someone to get around to responding to my "helpdesk ticket" that I put in last week.

Thanks for your help and feedback.
The intel GPU should be fine for mobile editing. Your CPU is an 8th gen CPU with the intergrated GPU. The Nvidia card would be better if you are using any software that requires an nvidia GPU for acceleration, but Edius does not use the GPU for much if you are only doing basic editing. Edius can use an intel GPU for h264/h265 encode/decode (required for h265 encode), it can use an nvidia or intel GPU for PCC acceleration, and any other third party plugins that can use it, like neatvideo, but if you notice I did say "can use" in almost all of these cases, as it can also do these functions with just the CPU.

I would however recommend more than 8GB of RAM. 16GB is a better amount for any system that is doing more than basic web surfing or word processing. By the time Windows, the intel GPU and Edius get through with their RAM usage, there won't be a lot left for anything else to use, and you would probably find the laptop running slow because it is doing a bit swapping to virtual memory (swapping to disk)

My other concerns with this laptop are:
the 1.6GHz CPU clock speed, (Faster would be better for sure, if you can get it) Edius does tend to work much better with higher clock speeds.

Windows 10 Home. - Win 10 Home uses a forced update policy. You may find the laptop forcing an update that can keep you from working for several minutes to several hours, depending on the update size, due to this policy. Windows 10 Pro or higher can turn off the forced updates.
Edius WG 9.50.5351, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Last edited by BernH; 04-24-2019 at 03:32 PM.
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:57 PM   #3
Jeff

Thank you for the info. Apparently, this is supposed to be a cheap laptop that a university is sending with a few of its students to Italy so they can shoot and edit weekly stories to send back to their teachers. Nothing fancy is going on Just simple cuts/dissolves, no 3rd party plugins. Just simple editing and CG from the within edius.

My caveat is that we need it by Mid-June. I've seen it take up to 3 months for a laptop to come in. IT has a stock laptop already in the quote system so they can get it faster (I'm assuming). I'm waiting to see if the stock one is ready to ship or if it'll take as long as if we custom ordered one.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:48 PM   #4
Hobbes

I'm happy with HP Probook G6 but extra Nvidiacard would be nice for plugins or other Software.
https://store.hp.com/GermanyStore/Me...pt=ABD&sel=NTB

Edius 9.5, TMPGEnc VMW 6, HandBrake 1.2.2, Blender, Red Giant MB, Hitfilm 13 Pro

i7 5820k, 32 Gb RAM,NH-U14S, MSI X99s SLI Plus, MSI GTX 1060, WIN 10 Pro 1903 (SSD Samsung EVO 850), 3 HDD

Panasonic FZ2000 V-Log

TV Sony KD 55X8507C(4k HDR10/HLG), Player Sony UBP-X800 (UHD)
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:02 PM   #5
scroogie

after some negotiation with IT staff you might give a look to the Asus in my signature.
Roughly in the same price range as the T580, it offers a much faster CPU, 512GB SSD + 1TB HD, GTX1050, 16GB ram and, very usefull for EDIUS, the QuickSync option
Asus Prime X370-PRO, RYZEN 1800X liquid cooled, 32GB DDR4, Nvidia Dual-GTX1060-O6G, O.S. disk Samsung M.2 250GB, Media disk 1TB SSD, Temp disk 500GB, Edius 8 Pro
on field rough cut: LapTop ASUS N580GD 15,6", i7-8750H (Quick Sync), 16GB DDR4, GTX1050 4GB, 512GB SSD PCIe M.2 + 1TB HD, Edius 8 Pro
scroogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:08 AM   #6
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scroogie View Post
after some negotiation with IT staff you might give a look to the Asus in my signature.
Roughly in the same price range as the T580, it offers a much faster CPU, 512GB SSD + 1TB HD, GTX1050, 16GB ram and, very usefull for EDIUS, the QuickSync option

I'll hit them up. Thanks,

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories