Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 09-13-2018, 01:29 PM   #1
peterC

Default No Editing with E9v2

New W10 o/s rebuild from scratch. Old (E9) on same h/ware (simple tests) tested ok, no crashes. New install both E9 and E9v2 crash immediately on any attempted moves using simple DV 720x576 16:9 Pal project test. Caveat: project ID has changed (location is the same) but cannot change profile even when was briefly accessible. Now any move after opening s/w is instant crash (of editing s/w only not W10 o/s). Uninstalled re-installed E9/E9v2 in different permutations. This sequence/s cannot get rid of project profile name (which must reside elsewhere and does not uninstall) since this is now changed with new W10 user login ID user name and assume this to possibly be the issue. ie project profile name in E9v2 does not match W10 user login name. No crash reports sent yet.

Any advice pls.

1 to get E9v2 op
2 to be able to change profile for project and if need be, project's location
Thanks
(Please don't throw stones, it works!)
Edius 9 v3
peterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #2
peterC

Edius9 support.png
Well I don't like where this is going and am not sure it is even necessary given previous post info.

Am still unable to purge project profile ID or start either E9 or E9v2.
Edius 9 v3
Old 09-15-2018, 03:28 PM   #3
peterC

Given the 90 day warranty period for direct support I assume this is redundant (in my case)
Attached Images
File Type: png Edius 9 Crash dialogue.png (105.7 KB, 14 views)
Edius 9 v3
Old 09-15-2018, 06:22 PM   #4
BernH

I am not too up on the intricacies of Win10 in relation to Edius specifically, but I have encountered issues with Win10's default admin accounts not really being full access admin accounts, and causing problems. Creating a new admin account and using that can fix a lot of problems (meaning use this accout to install and as your user account).

Also you MUST disable all virus scanners, including Windows Defender before you install Edius. It will not install correctly if you don't, and can cause crashing or other problems.

I would also recommend that you follow Jerry's Win10 tweak guide to help get Win 10 working well with Edius. http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

When you are referring to a project ID and project profile name, I am lost as to what you mean. Do you mean the project settings or the user profile? The project settings are stored with the project, and some things can not be changed. The user profile is not stored with the project, so should have no bearing on your ability to open a project.

Edius doesn't really care where a project is stored, as long as it has full access to its project files and media files. If you change the location of a project, you usually just need to re-link the media files if the relative path has changed.

Aside from that you would need to supply more detailed information if you expect people to be able to help you with your problem. It is usually helpful to know what your hardware configuration is, what versions of OS and software (meaning full version and build numbers), and detailed steps you are taking and the results of each step.
Edius WG 9.52.5886, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:24 AM   #5
antonsvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterC View Post
Given the 90 day warranty period for direct support I assume this is redundant (in my case)

contact the reseller, I am sure they can fix it for you in a flash, if not, I can fix it for you (but not for free)

installing Win10 is not a simple process, there are lots of things to do before installing EDIUS, like installing mobo manufacturer latest drivers and BIOS and not use Win10 generic drivers

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Last edited by antonsvideo; 09-16-2018 at 02:31 AM.
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:02 PM   #6
peterC

Thank you BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernH View Post
I am not too up on the intricacies of Win10 in relation to Edius specifically, but I have encountered issues with Win10's default admin accounts not really being full access admin accounts, and causing problems. Creating a new admin account and using that can fix a lot of problems (meaning use this accout to install and as your user account).

This was done in the W10 sys rebuild. Original user was used to mirror a new user in the rebuild. I thought (reverse/opposite to your thinking) that this was the issue ie that the original user may have had ‘full admin’ rights rather than the newer mirror rebuild user. I am discounting this at this stage but believe Microsoft W10’s changing of user a/c name is a superficial one and that at the root of the operating system it stays the same. I say this because uninstalling and reinstalling Edius, whether v1 or v2, the Project User Profile remains as the original profile and must come from some place other than Edius. How else/where else does it reside to not be uninstalled? I can only think it it resides in registry either through Edius install or W10 o/s neither of which I have as yet to aply a registry cleaner to to see if that purges it. Why so much focus on this? – a concern of possible conflict between Edius GUI/start up not relating to tracking the Project Profile setup correctly and spitting the dummy. A broken link if you will.

Quote:
Also you MUST disable all virus scanners, including Windows Defender before you install Edius. It will not install correctly if you don't, and can cause crashing or other problems.

I am quite sure that I had a working system without disabling Windows Defender initially, so am reluctant to go down that road as I said. It may be that I have no choice on this – my system is not the same as originally, but will explore other options first along with those that have already failed.

Quote:
I would also recommend that you follow Jerry's Win10 tweak guide to help get Win 10 working well with Edius. http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20TWEAKS%20FOR%20EDIUS%20USERS%20V.2.0.0. pdf

I will check the link – thanks (and thanks Jerry)

Quote:
When you are referring to a project ID and project profile name, I am lost as to what you mean. Do you mean the project settings or the user profile? The project settings are stored with the project, and some things can not be changed. The user profile is not stored with the project, so should have no bearing on your ability to open a project.

Edius doesn't really care where a project is stored, as long as it has full access to its project files and media files. If you change the location of a project, you usually just need to re-link the media files if the relative path has changed.

See P1 but to be clear, I understand re-linking project media from different locations. I don’t see this as the problem, more to do with the initial Project Profile you must create at the very first instance of Edius install> first Opening of Edius Editing GUI (timeline bin etc) - and the point before these 2 stages.

Quote:
Aside from that you would need to supply more detailed information if you expect people to be able to help you with your problem. It is usually helpful to know what your hardware configuration is, what versions of OS and software (meaning full version and build numbers), and detailed steps you are taking and the results of each step.
Yes, understand what you say here and you will be equally aware as to the complexity of itemising that. Especially as I say I had a basic test working system to begin with, but yes, it has changed, but I don’t believe that drastically, although it is a complex and frustrating business, especially when things go wrong like now and the myriad of things you try to get things going. Display settings, defaults, metered connections, updates and to which apps, app exceptions etc. All a little silly really when it was ‘a go’ off the original install.
Edius 9 v3
Old 09-16-2018, 07:09 PM   #7
peterC

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
contact the reseller, I am sure they can fix it for you in a flash, if not, I can fix it for you (but not for free)

Not on the road to the reseller just yet and yes, it should be in a flash but not so yet. I am quite sure you can fix it but was equally sure you were working for free. This fee for service you describe is disappointing Anton! What is the world coming to – working for money. Really. (I might try it now you suggest it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
installing Win10 is not a simple process, there are lots of things to do before installing EDIUS, like installing mobo manufacturer latest drivers and BIOS and not use Win10 generic drivers

You are not wrong there, but most of what you say has already been done as best I can. No bios though. With regard to 10 generic drivers I have had as much trouble with non-generics too. Where am now? How long is a piece of string and what ones do you specifically refer to if I may ask?
Edius 9 v3
Old 09-16-2018, 07:50 PM   #8
peterC

I don't know how well this will look but here is a pdf with multiple screen grabs of the failed Edius 9 startup process. Ignore the C:/ drive project location as the issue, it is just for test convenience, the alternative drive location doesn't work either.
Edius 9 failed startup sequence grabs.pdf
Edius 9 v3
Old 09-16-2018, 08:10 PM   #9
Zorro

Rename these two Grass Valley folders and start Edius:

C:\Programdata\Grass Valley

C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Grass Valley
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:46 PM   #10
peterC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
Rename these two Grass Valley folders and start Edius:

C:\Programdata\Grass Valley

Thank you Zorro but to what?
The change would be from
C:\ProgramData\Grass Valley ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
Would prefer to go this option first but in a slightly different fashion (ie C:\Users\<User>

rather than

as this was my original suspicion on this whole issue - ie change/align the W10 user and Edius profile paths.

I did not think to check Users in Explorer to see if my W10 User A/c changes made in Control Panel were initiated correctly since it showed as command change being effected in the general W10 GUI (login etc). Explorer however shows it as not (as I suspected but not isolated as you have highlighted). I see no way to change this. Any advice?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Edius 9 profile and W10 user conflict change issue.pdf (282.7 KB, 3 views)
Edius 9 v3

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS