Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 07-20-2017, 12:03 AM   #1
Liverpool TV

Default Edius on a 21:9 monitor.

Finally got a 21:9 monitor, an LG 29UM68, which is a 29" panel. I've had to set up a system in a small room on a smallish worktop and couldn't really fit two 16:9s with the audio monitors and video monitor etc. so decided to go for a single UltraWide.

Although I'm only in 2560x1080 as 1440 wouldn't be an option or practical at 29", the workspace and resolution are awesome. I was a bit hesitant on a 29" thinking it would be too small, but I couldn't really go any bigger for my workspace and didn't want to over spend on something that was a bit of a test. The vertical height works out to be a shade under the height of a 24" 16:9 and my initial hesitation was soon wiped out after I seen Edius running.

Here's a web site with a utility that helps to visualise the difference in screen area and height etc. between 16:9 and 21:9 monitors http://www.displaywars.com/24-inch-16x9-vs-29-inch-21x9

I've only had the monitor for less than a day but it only took me about 2 seconds to work out that this is the way to go for a de-cluttered and efficient setup and physical workspace. I'm that sold on it that I'll be looking into a 34 or 37" for my main system, which will also offer a lot more GUI/screen space at 1440.

Edius is awesome in this aspect ratio, and for me personally, negates the use of two 16:9s. My main focus of attention when editing is the timeline and playback monitor and a few other panels such as the bin etc. I open other panels as and when required. I personally find there to be a lot of wasted space on two 16:9s, the timeline view in 21:9 feels just right for me and no dead space or unnecessary open panels justifying the use of the screen space of two 16:9s.

Iv'e just done my first edit on this monitor and it was a real joy. Here's the edit, it's actually an unboxing of the monitor. Although I didn't set out or frame for a 21:9 video, I had shot in UHD and managed to fudge a bunch of shots into a native 2560x1080 project without losing optical resolution, Layouter is amazing.

Here's a screen shot of Edius in 21:9
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EDIUS IN 21-9.jpg (297.6 KB, 41 views)

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:17 AM   #2
THoff

I have a 34" 21:9 LG, and it is awesome for productivity and software like Edius which needs lots of screen space. I love not having a bezel dividing the screen between two physical monitors, and having complete flexibility over window placement and sizing.

My LG is flat and came out before they introduced a curved version of the same monitor. If I were to buy another monitor today, I would go curved after having used a curved 34" Acer Predator, maybe the LG 34UC98-W with Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 Quick Charge.
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:49 AM   #3
Ron Evans

I have not regretted moving from 2 x 24" Dells to my 32" ASUS. I also worried about the move but now would get a 34 at least with no hesitation. It has enough room to edit without an external monitor if needed and with a preview monitor gives plenty of room which is how I have mine setup now with a 24" 1920x1080 preview monitor.

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 SATA OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS 9.5 WG, Vegas 16, Resolve Studio 16

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:17 AM   #4
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoff View Post
I have a 34" 21:9 LG, and it is awesome for productivity and software like Edius which needs lots of screen space. I love not having a bezel dividing the screen between two physical monitors, and having complete flexibility over window placement and sizing.

My LG is flat and came out before they introduced a curved version of the same monitor. If I were to buy another monitor today, I would go curved after having used a curved 34" Acer Predator, maybe the LG 34UC98-W with Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 Quick Charge.
Yes, the lack of bezels. It may seem like a minor point or something not so obvious, but you immediately feel the benefit from the lack of bezels. I've always pained with bezels in a multi monitor setup, getting their heights exact, getting the angles right, trying to get them flush without a gap etc.

Although I'm not a fan of curved TVs, they're a bit gimmicky with no real benefit if sitting at a proper viewing distance, I can imagine curved monitors at 34"+ would be a great help. You sit a lot closer to a monitor by comparison to a TV, so would feel the benefit of the arc and the geometry compensation toward the edges.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:19 AM   #5
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
I have not regretted moving from 2 x 24" Dells to my 32" ASUS. I also worried about the move but now would get a 34 at least with no hesitation. It has enough room to edit without an external monitor if needed and with a preview monitor gives plenty of room which is how I have mine setup now with a 24" 1920x1080 preview monitor.
Can't believe it took me so long to do it, I now wish I'd done it way sooner. What monitor are you using Ron.

Last edited by Liverpool TV; 07-20-2017 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:24 AM   #6
antonsvideo

here is my preferred EDIUS Layout on Dell 2560x1600 30" mon
https://www.videoproductions.com.au/...IUS-Layout.png

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:58 AM   #7
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
here is my preferred EDIUS Layout on Dell 2560x1600 30" mon
https://www.videoproductions.com.au/...IUS-Layout.png
Looks great. There's a few 1600 21:9s now that'd probably look awesome.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories