Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 10-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
sebazvideo

Default Color correction to get the perfect skin tone?

I wonder if there is a bullet proof method to get the 3 way color corrector or other tool, Edius or 3rd party, to be able to get the perfect skin color even when white balance wasn't done properly on site. My results with the 3 way CC are not always the best when picking black, gray and white, admitedly because I don't use the 3 color card on site but sometimes it's not possible when doing weddings and stuff like that. But just like with the 3 way CC you have to select an area with white, gray and black, is there a tool that allows you to select a well lit face and adjust the colors so that the skin is perfect, even if the rest is not?

Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5
CPU: AMD Phenom II 1090T x6 @3.2 Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper212+
RAM: GSKILL F3-10666CL9Q-16GBRL 16 GB
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W
Video card: HIS Radeon 4850 1GB RAM
Hard drives: 2 Western Digital Caviar Black Edition (one for OS, one for video), 1 WD Caviar 768 GB
Optical drives: LG GBW-H20L Blu-Ray recorder, Pioneer DVR-217D DVD recorder, both SATA
sebazvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
peterC

It can be difficult to know just what the right skin tone actually is to begin with.

Using different kinds of filters that Edius has for different situations you encounter can help.

You need to experiment a little with them with the different settings/combinatons you can create to see.

I have never found any one solution fits all, and never too easy to arrive at depending on the level to want to go to.

Play with various filters and settings and combinations to see what can be achieved. Even layering the same filters in different priority within the Effects Panel will give you vastly different results (E3.62 at least and prior).
(Please don't throw stones, it works!)
Edius 9 v3
peterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
sebazvideo

Well, what I meant is this. With the camera's custom white balance colors are usually great, even without a perfect white card. Even someone's white shirt will give you great colors, that even if not 100% accurate, will need little change in post. But if for some reason you were not able to do custom white balance and you had to resort to either 5.6k or 3.2k presets depending on the situation, correcting that in post can be a nightmare, and will never look as good as doing custom white balance. That's always been a mistery to me, why zooming in to a white object with the camera gives you great colors but you can't get the same colors in post.

Granted, I don't know the science behind it, but when using any color correction to me what's most important is not the white areas, but the color of the skin. As long as the skin looks human, and not greenish, yellowish, etc, it's not a big deal if the whites are not perfect.

So it would be great to have a tool where you can select a small square with a well lit skin area, face, shoulder, etc, and the tool would adjust all the colors accordingly.

Hard drives: 2 Western Digital Caviar Black Edition (one for OS, one for video), 1 WD Caviar 768 GB
Optical drives: LG GBW-H20L Blu-Ray recorder, Pioneer DVR-217D DVD recorder, both SATA
Old 10-28-2011, 12:26 AM   #4
Khoi Pham

you should go to Anton's website, I think he has a tutorial for Color correction, or do a search on this forum for white balance tutorial,that is all you need to fix and it is easy, realtime, Edius is great.
Khoi Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:44 AM   #5
sebazvideo

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #6
Fred Dwyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebazvideo View Post
Granted, I don't know the science behind it, but when using any color correction to me what's most important is not the white areas, but the color of the skin. As long as the skin looks human, and not greenish, yellowish, etc, it's not a big deal if the whites are not perfect.

White balance, properly achieved, should give you proper skin tones. It's not specifically to make whites look good. True white light is comprised of equal portions of red, green and blue. White balancing your camera balences the sensor to recognize the existing unequal intensities of each color as though they were of equal intensity, thus making objects in that lighting appear as though they were in true white light. Of course, the white object on which you base your balance, may be receiving a slightly different color of light than the skin of the man in the forground. The system may not be perfect, but it's good.
Win 7 Pro-64 bit, EDIUS Workgroup 8.5, Intel Ivy Bridge i5, ASUS P8Z77-V-LK, 8GB Kningston DDR3, Pioneer BDR-209UBK, EVGA NVIDEA GEForce GT630, Corsair TX750M 750w Power Supply, 4 WD Black HDD for 3.15TB, ACEDVIO, Spark HD, eSATA controller, ANTEC 300 case.
Fred Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:57 PM   #7
sebazvideo

Thanks for the explanation, Fred. So why is it that if the camera has a simple button to balance the colors just by pointing at a white object and it does very good white balance, NLEs have the 3 way color corrector system and it can rarely achieve the good results you get with the camera? Other than the file format compression applied to the picture that comes in through the lens, what changes that for the software it's not as easy as clicking on a white area of the picture. Do you know what's the cause of that?

Old 10-29-2011, 01:05 AM   #8
iibw

Be aware that if you use cheap LED lights, chances are that no matter what you do in post, you won't be able to achieve perfect white balance. This is because part of the color spectrum is lacking. In general, these lights have a funky greenish look to them that can't be properly corrected. I learned the hard way!
iibw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:19 AM   #9
sebazvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by iibw View Post
Be aware that if you use cheap LED lights, chances are that no matter what you do in post, you won't be able to achieve perfect white balance. This is because part of the color spectrum is lacking. In general, these lights have a funky greenish look to them that can't be properly corrected. I learned the hard way!
I know, I have a cheap Bescor light and I see that green tint on some things, although it's not terrible. However, I read that it can be minimized with the magenta gel, correct?

Old 10-29-2011, 01:42 AM   #10
antonsvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebazvideo View Post
Thanks for the explanation, Fred. So why is it that if the camera has a simple button to balance the colors just by pointing at a white object and it does very good white balance, NLEs have the 3 way color corrector system and it can rarely achieve the good results you get with the camera? Other than the file format compression applied to the picture that comes in through the lens, what changes that for the software it's not as easy as clicking on a white area of the picture. Do you know what's the cause of that?
in 90% of cases, I can get a correct balance with one click if the source is wrong

as long as I find something in the shot that is meant to be gray, usually there is

I simply push the gray button and click on something gray

I hardly ever worry about white and black after the above

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS