Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > FIRECODER Blu & Pegasus

Old 11-27-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
shueardm

Default The needs work thread

- Output to elementary streams (and you will sell thousands) EDIT - see other thread, we can demux with 3rd party freeware
- Preview does not update during encode (would be nice)
- Some menus would be nice
- Bitrate slider at least (currently 3 quality settings)

Last edited by shueardm; 11-27-2008 at 01:49 PM.
shueardm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:37 PM   #2
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

Why not post these as separate feature requests?
GrassValley_KH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #3
shueardm

Just a selection of notes for people interested to make a buying decision, the good and not so in seperate threads.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
Ron Evans

What options exist to select bit rates either for MPEG or AVC? One reason I use TMPGenc is that I can see what effect the bit rate has on filling the disc. This to me is likely the most important as I have had several HDV programs lately that are 2 hours and 20 min and it was useful to craft the bit rate to max to get on the disc( Bluray and SD). Preview and menus are of no importance as I will not watch and will use either Encore or DVD Architect 5.0 ( DVDLAb 2 for SD) anyway.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
Khoi Pham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
What options exist to select bit rates either for MPEG or AVC? One reason I use TMPGenc is that I can see what effect the bit rate has on filling the disc. This to me is likely the most important as I have had several HDV programs lately that are 2 hours and 20 min and it was useful to craft the bit rate to max to get on the disc( Bluray and SD). Preview and menus are of no importance as I will not watch and will use either Encore or DVD Architect 5.0 ( DVDLAb 2 for SD) anyway.

Ron Evans
Hey Ron, I think he said just 3 quality settings, I think they design this Firecoder blu for home users.
Khoi Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:48 PM   #6
shueardm

High quality AVCHD seems to be around 23 Mb/s which is pretty darn good and I read in the manual, it takes no longer to encode on high quality.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
shueardm

So far I see no reason to bother with Mpeg2 for Blu-ray Ron. It takes a bit longer to encode and is more than twice the file size.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:01 PM   #8
Ron Evans

I am happy to use AVCHD as several of the cameras I use are AVCHD. The real issue is one of matching output to the disc. IF the choices are 9M, 18M and 23M and I have a mix of HDV and AVCHD in my timeline I would want to maximize the quality to fit on a 25G Bluray disc. I would just like the option to choose the data rate. What are the data rates? My SR11 produces really nice video at its 17M level average. Vegas 8 will output MPEG at about 1.3 times realtime from the SR11 clips on the timeline( just over 4 hours for 3 hour 7 min timeline I just finished) . Time is sort of relative when comparing NLE's and conversion methods. To use Edius for this edit would mean converting to HQ that would take just over realtime to convert and then say half realtime of the timeline to output to HQ file. Then a fast convert at a fixed data rate to AVC using Firecoder Blu. The source for this edit was 5 hour and 40 mins of AVCHD( my annual video of grandsons for the family from several AVCHD cams). In Vegas it just went straight on the timeline( I have not included transfer time in either comparison). Output to MPEG2 for DVD's including named markers from the timeline for Architect 5 took about realtime.
My normal editor is Edius 4.6 ( haven't upgrade yet so comparisons may be different for Edius 5) since most are multicam and it is by far the best at this. I don't convert my HDV to HQ but do convert AVCHD ( from necessity) and normally output HDV ( to back up to tape and share with others in the group) and then use this file in TMPGenc 4 to create MPEG2 and AC3 for DVD creation in DVDLab 2. OR for Bluray in DVD Architect 5. A direct out from the timeline of Edius would make Firecoder Blu of some use but as you can see its marginal if at all faster in the over all program for AVCHD editing using Edius compared to Vegas.
I think a change to the Edius approach of full resolution output is in order for those that are happy with a reduced resolution for editing purposes. Vegas output is full frame rate at about 720x540 which is better than the resolution I do all my editing in multicam on Edius!!!! I would be happy if Edius offered me the option of full frame rate AVCHD at the same resolution as Vegas. Then an integrated FirecoderBlu output would make a lot of sense.
Since starting to create Bluray output I edit in Edius and finish in Vegas( audio mix and marker naming/placement output or markers from Edius and encode in TMPGenc 4) and DVD Architect for a lot of what I do.
Ron Evans

Last edited by Ron Evans; 11-28-2008 at 02:02 AM. Reason: I was reponding to Marks comment about MPEG it was quick to output MPEG from Vegas
Old 11-28-2008, 03:22 AM   #9
Ron Evans

Having read my previous post even though it was too long I still don't think I captured what I wanted to say and might have confused the issue!!!!!! Firecoder Blu is currently not integrated with a NLE so needs an output file to work with. Getting this file depends clearly on the NLE and the format of the clips used. I was trying to point out that with AVCHD as a source, Vegas is currently quicker inputting and exporting to a variable data rate output in MPEG2 than converting AVCHD to HQ and editing in Edius, then converting using the Firecoder Blu still with a fixed data rate choice. Hence my choice of MPEG2 for Bluray at the moment. With HDV in Edius and plugin FirecoderBlu would be great but in my mind still only really useful if the data rate was flexible enough to provide the quality needed.
Still not sure if I have made the point!!! Having AVCHD as an input means the NLE handling is critical to the overall time for the edit and output.
Look forward to more information on Firecoder Blu though.

Ron Evans
Old 11-28-2008, 03:37 AM   #10
shueardm

I think i know where you are coming from Ron. The total time is what's important and if your source is already AVCHD and want to edit it, by using Vegas you don't have to convert it to start with? That may be true and your total time to export (in your case) to Mpeg 2 might be quicker- that might be a close call.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > FIRECODER Blu & Pegasus