Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > FIRECODER Blu & Pegasus

Old 10-20-2008, 08:50 AM   #1
basak.santanu

Default pegasus information

Sir
I have Canopus ACEDVIo product. But I am not satisfied with capture qualty and also render quality by procoder 2.0.
I capture footage from DV and Analog Source for my home video editing and expoer in VCD or DVD format.
I need best picture quality in Industries standard. I see the pegasus card in your side. can this card give me better picture(best picture quality from DV Source) picture quality.

****** I CAPTURE FOOTAGE FROM DV & ANALOG SOURCE ONLY AND EXPORT IT VCD AND DVD.********

please give me information. and tell which card will be best for my home video editing. and also send the prices.
From Which Card I can get loss less quality, if I capture footage from a DV Source

Last edited by basak.santanu; 10-20-2008 at 03:47 PM.
basak.santanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:14 PM   #2
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

If you're capturing from a DV source, the ACEDVio gives you lossless capture. It's just a data transfer, like a file copy. There is no recompression on the capture from a DV source.

However, when capturing from an analog source, you are capturing analog to DV, so that is one compression.

Either way (DV or analog source) when you output to VCD and DVD, you are converting DV to MPEG, so that is another compression.

So for analog sources, you have 2 compressions - analog to DV, DV to MPEG
And for DV sources, you have 1 compression - DV to MPEG

Pegasus captures only to Canopus HQ format, which is lossy like DV, so I'm not sure if you will get better quality or not. It does not capture DV - you would still use a standard OHCI-compliant Firewire interface for that and the process would be the same as using ACEDVio.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:32 AM   #3
basak.santanu

Can I get without lossy capture footage, from any capture card.
OR after export can I get better quality picture from any encoder.
I export in VCD or DVD format with procoder 2.0
Old 10-21-2008, 07:16 AM   #4
SoundFreak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by basak.santanu View Post
can I get better quality picture from any encoder.
What do you mean by better quality picture ?

You have to remember that if the source is not good, your end result will / can not get better than that.

If you use Procoder (express or stand alone) use Highest / Master quality and that should give you a good result.

Mpeg 1 (vcd) is a format with very limited quality, with mostly set parameters, nothing much to change, that's the way it is.
Mpeg 2 (dvd) is much more changeable format, i.e. you can choose your own quality settings of rendering, bit rate etc.

For both formats (any other format like HD ... the same) what you put in you get out, minus the conversion losses.

Always make sure the original footage is of highest quality possible, if the output quality is not good it is usually bad quality footage or wrong render parameters for export, if done correctly it should be of good / high quality.

as BH mentioned, all format change involves re-encoding which degrades the quality, it should be kept at a minimum..............
SoundFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by basak.santanu View Post
Can I get without lossy capture footage, from any capture card.
Currently, this would requires EDIUS NX, EDIUS SP, EDIUS SD or EDIUS HD hardware.

HDSTORM and Pegasus can only capture to Canopus HQ format currently, so capture is always compressed.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:27 AM   #6
basak.santanu

Many many thanks both of you for reply. I am now really happy for yours suggestion.

Just one things. If I capture from same DV source. Can I get better quality capture footage from EDIUS NX than ACEDVIo or same.

And can I make better vcd quality with change some parameter. in procoder 2.0
Old 10-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
SoundFreak
Banned

BH should answer the first question. but would also like to know this answer.

I have just ordered a 3rd computer to capture and will be using Edius Neo with the ACEDVIo for it's S-Video input & Edit with 4.61 and DVStrom2 card.

to answer part 2) VCD (Mpeg1) format is a has "set" parameters, you are not allowed to change (almost) anything, except for fastest speed or highest quality encoding.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:05 PM   #8
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

DV capture with either ACEDVio or EDIUS NX will yield the same results.

Analog capture is a bit different - EDIUS NX features a few small cleaning capabilities, that are not found with ACEDVio.
GrassValley_KH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:05 AM   #9
SoundFreak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_KH View Post
Analog capture is a bit different - EDIUS NX features a few small cleaning capabilities, that are not found with ACEDVio.
BH how do the DVStorm 2 & ACEDvio compare to analog capture, does the DVStorm2 card has such feature or only the NX and higher.

Would either DVStorm 2 or ACEDvio give the same analog capture results.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:26 AM   #10
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

Analog capture is about the same, but with different chips. The difference is that the ACEDVio is like an ADVC and is compatible with more NLEs and other FW-based software.

DVStorm and DVStorm 2 do not have any additional analog cleaning capabilities.
GrassValley_KH is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > FIRECODER Blu & Pegasus