Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > MYNC

Old 08-14-2015, 03:48 PM   #1
Claire

Default Sort by clip name "UK date" possible?

Over the years I named many clips with the date taken and being in the UK naturally used one of the UK date formats. To ensure they would be viewable in date order when browsing with Windows File Explorer I kept to the format "ddmmyy", for example a clip shot on 30th Dec 2003 I would name "301203" plus the file name suffix.

Unfortunately it appears GV Browser only understands US date format.

I say this since that's what is shows for Date Taken so when I create a catalog I am unable to sort by clipname and I can't use Date Taken since this would appear to be what Windows stamps on the file if it is moved or copied, certainly not the date the camera took the clip.

Any ideas? I think a localized GV Browser might be one solution?

Edius 8.53 Workgroup, DVC Built i7 5960X 8 core Haswell-E Unlocked, Win10 Pro 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4, 32GB DDR4 RAM, GTX 980 Ti 6GB, Decklink 4K Extreme 12G, TMPGEnc Movie Plug-in AVC, Eizo 31" ColorEdge CG319X HDR 4K monitor
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:30 PM   #2
DigitalDave

Wont help but you are not alone http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=35853
DigitalDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:53 PM   #3
Claire

I thought of a work around, to manually change the file attributes with Dopus (Directory Opus) which is my Windows Explorer substitute. This is very powerful. I made a button for it's toolbar that runs a script, on selecting a clip or a bunch of them when this button is clicked it brings up a tool that allows me to very quickly change the file(s) attributes, in particular for this scenario the "modified" date that GV Browser is using for it's "Date Taken" column.

So I can now change a whole folder file dates for a given day and could tackle a month without it taking too long. There is even a script that automatically changes the files date to the date in the clip name if I was brave enough.

But first a test and just as well I did since changing the dates in a small folder revealed GV Browser's already registered clips don't get updated.

Not even if I remove them from the library, restart the browser then re-register them back again. The date is unchanged in the library while in the drive folder view below it's plain to see the date is changed.

Oh, and when re-registering them I get a different message to the usual, this time it says already registered. So it knows more than I do about what is going on.

The one thing that does work is to start over from scratch by deleting everything in C:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\Grass Valley\GV Browser... but that's an extreme thing to have to do each time a file's attributes needs refreshing.

Hmm..

Edius 8.53 Workgroup, DVC Built i7 5960X 8 core Haswell-E Unlocked, Win10 Pro 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4, 32GB DDR4 RAM, GTX 980 Ti 6GB, Decklink 4K Extreme 12G, TMPGEnc Movie Plug-in AVC, Eizo 31" ColorEdge CG319X HDR 4K monitor
Old 08-17-2015, 04:40 PM   #4
vortigern

I find your premise hard to understand. True when I look in the clip information on the RH side of the browser my original shot from camera states 4/17/2015. A check with the original file and it registers as 17/4/2015. The clip however is identified as being shot on Friday 17th April 2015 and is of course in the right place on the Timeline category when selected. What is wrong with that apart from the one "American style notation" under clip information? Am I missing something?
Old 08-18-2015, 01:24 AM   #5
Claire

Hi Vortigen, thanks for your interest,

Sorry if my post confused you but the title of my post was "Sort by clip name" not "sort by date taken".

I agree 'Sort by date taken' works for camera clips but most of my archived output from Edius was compressed to m2ts or mp4 where the only date is the date of the compression. That's why I used the date I took the film for the file name (plus some descriptive words).

My mistake here was assuming GV Browser could sort these in the way my WD Hub can and also Windows Explorer but of course GV Brower is neither a WD box or a computer.

However I have now solved this issue! I changed the file modified date attribute in all of my archived compressed files to the date the film was taken so and am now able to use 'Sort by date taken'.

The script I used in Dopus made this really fast and easy. It retrieves the date from the file's name by reading it up to the dot excluding any words, then stamps it into the file's attribute. I was able to apply it to hundred of files at a time despite being in trees of different folders, by clicking on the parent folder and selecting "Flat view".

So I'm sorted, thanks!

Old 08-18-2015, 09:32 AM   #6
vortigern

I take your point in the third line absolutely. Like you my files are better sorted than the ever were.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > MYNC