Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > FIRECODER Blu & Pegasus

Old 10-21-2007, 01:24 AM   #1
Zorro

Default Pegasus board: opinions?

The first board from TGV which has a HDMI input and the HQ codec in hardware:

http://www.canopus.com/products/Pega...ex.php?lang=EN

Will it give better quality than using firewire to HQ software capture?
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:43 AM   #2
Blast1

You forgot to put the price up?
Numerous Ext eSATA drives & Raids shared between systems
Blast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:03 AM   #3
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
Will it give better quality than using firewire to HQ software capture?
It doesn't support FW input, so what are you comparing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast1 View Post
You forgot to put the price up?
I believe the US MSRP is $999
GrassValley_KH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:03 AM   #4
Zorro

Quote:
It doesn't support FW input, so what are you comparing?
I'm looking for the best way to capture HDV. Capturing HDV to HQ in Edius using a firewire connection results in very good quality. Using HDMI (read: uncompressed) and HQ in hardware sounds like the cherry on the cake provided that the Pegasus board uses highest HQ settings. No info about that in the specs.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:35 PM   #5
RandyD

It will be the same will it not unless the computer is tethered to the camera and the HDMI output isn't hit by compression by the camera already(signal is straight from the camera head)....once it hits tape it is digital and compressed so who cares if it comes out of HDMI decoded in uncompressed cause it will not be any better than decoded by a computer that captured the compressed version via firewire.

What I find interesting is it is giving other NLEs the ability to capture to HQ. HQ is a super codec and this is a good step at freeing it from Edius.
RandyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:45 AM   #6
STORMDAVE

I think some people are interested in capturing via HDMI for Full HD purposes (instead of 1440x1080)
STORMDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:30 PM   #7
RandyD

Still doesn't change the fact that a compression hit to AVCHD has already taken place. Also you can do the same thing as this board by transfering the AVCHD via firewire and converting it to full raster HQ in software. What this thing looks like to me is the huge advantage is it is done in hardware and RT...I haven't messed with AVCHD but my guess is it takes a while to do it in software. I also noticed it has component in so it isn't really limited to AVCHD and for a studio this could be a nice addition since you can tether a computer to the camera and and if the camera out(component or hdmi) is uncompressed then you will get the advantage of no compression hit. I also see where they are making the sdk available so other editing apps can take advantage of HQ. It is a super codec and this is a nice step towards making the codec available to other apps...right now if you use HQ you are basically married to Edius.
RandyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:04 PM   #8
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyD View Post
and if the camera out(component or hdmi) is uncompressed then you will get the advantage of no compression hit.
That should be "recompression hit" - HQ is compressed. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyD View Post
I also see where they are making the sdk available so other editing apps can take advantage of HQ.
Not needed - the Pegasus package includes a codec pack, exposing read/write versions of Canopus HQ, Canopus Lossless and Canopus DV to any Windows video app - editing, encoding, authoring.
GrassValley_KH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:13 PM   #9
Zorro

Quote:
I also see where they are making the sdk available so other editing apps can take advantage of HQ.
The first thing a programmer should look at is scene detection! It's missing in the app HQ Recorder.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:09 PM   #10
Ron Evans

I bought an Intensity card to try the HDMI input from my Sony SR7 AVCHD camera. Using the supplied MJPEG codec it produces a file that is about 40G per hour and seems to work in some way with Vegas but not Edius and is fully integrated with Premiere Pro CS3. Capture is of course real time. Trying to convert the AVCHD file with the Canopus HQ converter takes about 10 times realtime!!!! just not practical for my 2 hour event stuff. Both Vegas and EDius will recognize AVCHD on the timeline, but slowely!!! Conversion in Vegas to DV or MPEG2 for DVD is about 4 times realtime, though I have yet to do any optimization to the process. At the moment the SR7 will be good for family stuff and for this the Sony Motion Browser software is adequate.
The Blackmagic Intensity Pro card looks to have similar interfaces and several codecs available for $350.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > FIRECODER Blu & Pegasus