Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 12-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
John Lewis

i will try and re create later tonight
I run Edius in 3 Monitors plus an additional monitor attatched to HDStorm
I will try and output to all non GV Hardware connected monitors
John Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #12
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Just for curiosity's sake, what resolution are your running your monitors at?

Since George took a look at the system on his end, the only variable I can think of is displays and/or resolution?
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
AJL14

Brandon - the main monitor (timeline and the main video - 1 REC video) - is on a 23" LG at 1920x1080 - attached to the nVidia 650Ti. I've changed that resolution up and down with no improvement. The second monitor is running at 1650 on a Samsung 22" with Bin, Effects, etc. and is running off the Intel Chip 4000 video output.

Changing main monitor to HDMI off the nVidia also has no beneficial effect.
Alan

SYSTEM: ASUS P8Z77-VPro mobo, Intel 3770K CPU, 16 Gig Crucial 1866 RAM, Antec 1000W PS, EVGA nVidia 560Ti 1Gig Video, CoolerMaster CPU cooler, LG GGW-H20L BluRay DVD, SPARK card w/23" Samsung 1920x1080 Monitor, OCZ 240GB SSD boot in Swapable Tray & 3 WD Enterprise 1TB video RAID 5 HDD's. 4.5TB RAID 1 Outboard backups, Behringer2000 Audio Fader/Controller
AJL14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #14
AJL14

Default One last interesting entry

ONE LAST INTERESTING ENTRY: ALL AVCHD FILES on the Video drive PLAY PERFECTLY FULL SCREEN ON WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER. ALSO - A BluRay disc made from the timeline (even though the timeline playback is terrible with stuttering and jumping) - is PERFECT. No Video problems at all. It plays back FULL SCREEN with PowerDVD just fine, and on every other Bluray player in the house. Therefore, now, I have doubts that it's the motherboard or CPU. Confusing, right?????

Thanks guys.... Happy Holidays,
Alan

SYSTEM: ASUS P8Z77-VPro mobo, Intel 3770K CPU, 16 Gig Crucial 1866 RAM, Antec 1000W PS, EVGA nVidia 560Ti 1Gig Video, CoolerMaster CPU cooler, LG GGW-H20L BluRay DVD, SPARK card w/23" Samsung 1920x1080 Monitor, OCZ 240GB SSD boot in Swapable Tray & 3 WD Enterprise 1TB video RAID 5 HDD's. 4.5TB RAID 1 Outboard backups, Behringer2000 Audio Fader/Controller

Last edited by AJL14; 12-12-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #15
Philip

I'm not the technical guru of Anton and some of the others but the old tech support person in me thought of a few things maybe haven't been thought of yet.

1. When it starts stuttering is your buffer on zero or is it still at max. Those symptoms sound like the buffer fills and then slowly starts losing frames till it gets to zero and starts stuttering along. If that's the case how complicated is that edit? Lots of filters on MP4 files will slow a system down pretty quick. If it's a decent quad system and you are having the problem with native files and no filters than obviously that is not the problem.

2. If the buffer is dropping to zero on a killer system then my brain says maybe you have a memory pipeline issue where either the motherboard bus could be bad or you could simply have some bad memory chips.

3. Another thought I had was are you running the video files off an external drive or internal drive? Either way it's possible you could have a bad cable somewhere along the way that is slowing the data through put down. Sometimes it's the simplest things. A colleague was having trouble with playback on a project off an external drive. After copying to another drive and it playing perfectly we realized he had a bad cable. Plugged in a good cable and all was good.

4. You mentioned it played the bluray disc perfectly even though the timeline was stuttering. To me that doesn't rule out the motherboard or CPU. The bluray playback takes less resources to function cause it's just playing a file off a disc. When you drop it on a NLE timeline other stuff is going on because it has to be available for edit. It is much more intensive on resources to edit a file than to play it back on a player like WMP or PowerDVD.

Weird things cause weird problems. The hard part is finding what weird thing is causing the weird problem.

Those are some things I thought of. Often the simplest things are the issue. I learned that in tech support and often they are the last thing you check. You always think big when something goes wrong but it could be something simple like a cable.

Hope that gives you something else to diagnose. If it doesn't find the problem at least you know a few more things that AREN'T the problem. :-)

Laptop. Sony Vaio. CPU- i7-Gen 3, 8gb RAM, 1tbb 5400rpm hard drive, AMD GPU
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #16
AJL14

Thanks Philip. I offer documentation to your suggestions - AFTER I enter one more interesting observation.

ALL AVCHD FILES on the Video drive PLAY PERFECTLY FULL SCREEN ON WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER. Go figure that one out!

Answers to you kind questions:

1 & 2. Buffers stay exactly on max. Sometimes fluttering down 1 frame, but no more. Have tried every buffer setting, and buffer never makes a difference, nor does it go down from maximum at any setting.

3. I have loaded and run the files from Internal drives (3 at separate times), external HDD, external USB 3.0 and finally from the original Video camera master SD card. No changes - believe it or not.

4. My comment about the Bluray was intended to show that whatever stuttering and juttering I'm seeing on the timeline, DOES NOT get transferred over to the making of the Bluray disks. The Bluray also plays just fine on all Bluray players, including the one in the screening room feeding a 14 1/2 ft. 1080P projection screen.

So again, Philip, thanks for your time-consuming input. I really appreciate it. Somewhere, some time in space, someone is going to come up with the deep seated solution to my problem. I just don't want to incur the cost of a replacement motherboard or CPU at this moment......but then again......!

Gratefully,
Alan

Old 12-12-2012, 11:36 PM   #17
antonsvideo

can you borrow another monitor for testing?

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #18
AJL14

Sure, Anton. However, this problem does show up on both my LG 23" and Samsung SyncMaster 22" - together or separately! But I'll try another one as well. Hell - can't hurt ! ! !
I'll get back to you ASAP.
Thanks,
Alan

Old 12-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #19
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJL14 View Post
Thanks Philip. I offer documentation to your suggestions - AFTER I enter one more interesting observation.

ALL AVCHD FILES on the Video drive PLAY PERFECTLY FULL SCREEN ON WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER. Go figure that one out!

Answers to you kind questions:

1 & 2. Buffers stay exactly on max. Sometimes fluttering down 1 frame, but no more. Have tried every buffer setting, and buffer never makes a difference, nor does it go down from maximum at any setting.

3. I have loaded and run the files from Internal drives (3 at separate times), external HDD, external USB 3.0 and finally from the original Video camera master SD card. No changes - believe it or not.

4. My comment about the Bluray was intended to show that whatever stuttering and juttering I'm seeing on the timeline, DOES NOT get transferred over to the making of the Bluray disks. The Bluray also plays just fine on all Bluray players, including the one in the screening room feeding a 14 1/2 ft. 1080P projection screen.

So again, Philip, thanks for your time-consuming input. I really appreciate it. Somewhere, some time in space, someone is going to come up with the deep seated solution to my problem. I just don't want to incur the cost of a replacement motherboard or CPU at this moment......but then again......!

Gratefully,
Alan
And the solution will probably be something super simple you will slap your forehead for not thinking of it. Isn't that how it always is?

Laptop. Sony Vaio. CPU- i7-Gen 3, 8gb RAM, 1tbb 5400rpm hard drive, AMD GPU
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:39 AM   #20
Jerry

If your buffer is max all of the time, then I would look at the monitors refresh rate as well as the resolution. Do a search for your particular monitor desired refresh rate with the desired resolution. How old are your monitors?
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories