Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 06-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
Alter Ego

Default AMD 6 core system built and running... So far great... For anyone considering an AMD

I needed a quick and easy on the wallet replacement for my partners i7 machine (I was using it for a project), and this system did the trick. Yesterday I completed my new budget friendly AMD 6 core system build. You can see everything I used in my signature. I have been pounding on it in every conceivable way for the past 24 hours, and it seems very solid so far. Edius is running very smooth. I just played back a 3 minute duration uncompressed clip from the timeline with no problem. The X6 Phenom 1055T is 2.8 Ghz and I over clocked it to 3.6 GHz (for now) with the ASRock MB bios "easy over clock" feature, with the stock cooler it is running @40 degrees C. I do have very good case cooling, hidden cable management, and ventilation with 5 case fans. I plan to to take it to 4 Ghz with an upgraded CPU cooler. This ASRock 890FX MB is really geared towards the gamer with it's crossfire setup, but it has a lot of very nice new features and a lot of bang for the buck.

So far I am extremely pleased with the system performance using this $199 CPU. I know that it blows my dual core machines out of the water, and it compares favorably to the i7 930 machine that my partner was letting me use for a big project. BTW- I had to transfer a very big Edius project with 2 TB of data from his i7 over to my new AMD machine. I was holding my breath the whole time... but it came off without a hitch. Sigh of relief... So far, so good... it seems like a great little machine at a great price :)

Edius 8 WG with HDSpark, AMD 8 core FX 8370 Black Edition 4.3 GHZ, MSI 970A Krait Edition, 16 GB Patriot DDR3 1333 MHz RAM, EVGA Nvidia GTX 780 TI graphics, Win 10 X64.
Alter Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:52 AM   #2
Alter Ego

As an update... I have the AMD X6 1055T now running at 3.77 GHz with stock voltages and CPU cooler. It is very stable and the temp is 43 degrees C under load. What a pleasant surprise this CPU and ASRock MB has turned out to be.

I wanted to see how far you could push this CPU with stock voltages, so I set the bios up to run at 3.92 GHz. The system was a getting a little unstable, so I backed off. With some minor tweaks, I am confident it will run stable @4GHz as others have been reporting.

Edius 8 WG with HDSpark, AMD 8 core FX 8370 Black Edition 4.3 GHZ, MSI 970A Krait Edition, 16 GB Patriot DDR3 1333 MHz RAM, EVGA Nvidia GTX 780 TI graphics, Win 10 X64.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:07 AM   #3
UlfLaursen

Very nice, Tom. Do you by any chance have any pictures from the inside of the PC?

Thanks.

/Ulf
Second system: i7 970, 3.2 GHz, 24 GB RAM, Asus P6T, Samsung 840 Pro 120 GB systemdrive, 4 x WD 1TB in raid 5, 1 WD 500 GB for exports, Asus GTX 460 Win 7 64.
Third system: Dell Precision M4600, i7 3.2 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 2GB, 2 x SSD, win 7 64 Pro.

Edius 7.01 & 6.54 & - VisTitle 2
UlfLaursen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
Philip

I may have to setup a new system soon as well and was thinking of the Phenom X6. Just curious how much that system cost you to build. I am thinking I may be able to get a x6 with 4gb RAM and 1gb Dedicated graphics under $1K. All my project files are on external drives so I don't need all the RAIDs and internal setups. Just a system drive and I'm ready to go.

Thanks for reporting back.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:03 AM   #5
Alter Ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
I may have to setup a new system soon as well and was thinking of the Phenom X6. Just curious how much that system cost you to build. I am thinking I may be able to get a x6 with 4gb RAM and 1gb Dedicated graphics under $1K. All my project files are on external drives so I don't need all the RAIDs and internal setups. Just a system drive and I'm ready to go.

Thanks for reporting back.
You're welcome... I hope this is useful for someone looking into the X6's.

I put everything together from scratch and my total price was right at $1045, including NZXT case and 750w power supply. I bought most everything on sale over the past month... You definitely can put a Phenom X6 system together for under 1K if you go 4 GB Ram. I would highly recommend the ASRock 890FX MB that I am using because it is the latest AMD chipset and has USB 3 & SATA 3, and is easy to overclock. Newegg has it on special for $155... It's a great value. You can also buy an ATI HD 4850 1 GB card for around 100 bucks now.. and this is a very good little ATI card for the money, or step up the the newer 5000 series.

As a side note- I experienced some instability when RAM previewing a CPU intensive After Effects project... So I lowered the CPU multiplier to back down the overclock to 3.5 GHz (from 3.78 GHz) and tweaked up the core voltage to 1.475V (from 1.4V nominal). 1.475V is the core voltage that is used when the X6's are put into "Turbo Mode". Now the system is very stable and no more problems running After Effects. I'll keep it at 3.5 GHz until I get a better CPU cooler installed.

The "EZ Overclock feature" in the Bios of ASRock uses templates that can be tweaked till you find the sweet spot of your setup. This ASRock 890FX MB is great for overclocks. I've been putting myself through a crash course on the AMD's and this MB since this is my first AMD system. The price vs performance of the X6's was what attracted me... as opposed to paying more and going Intel. Time will tell... Edius really rocks with this setup.

UlfLaursen - I'll try to get a few snapshots of the case interior in the next few days. I am going to upgrade the DVD drive on it and that will be a good time when I have it pulled apart.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
Gerard

I work since yesterday with an AMD system too (M 3300) and I'm really astonished about the force of this 6 cores system. It's by the a lot cheaper then a system with an Intel i7 980x (which is a 6 cores proc. too) I'm absolutely turned over from Intel to AMD!
1x 60 Gb SSDdisk for the O.S.
4x 1Tb internal Harddisks
Canon HD Camera Legria HF200
My perfect combination for Edius
Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
noafilm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
It's by the a lot cheaper then a system with an Intel i7 980x
That's the main difference if you compare nr of cores only but the 980x outperformes the fastest 6 core amd in every test en not just a bit, it's a lot faster if you look at several benchmarks on the net.
The 1090t amd seems to be comparable with intels 4 core I7 930.
noafilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
Alter Ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by noafilm View Post
That's the main difference if you compare nr of cores only but the 980x outperformes the fastest 6 core amd in every test en not just a bit, it's a lot faster if you look at several benchmarks on the net.
The 1090t amd seems to be comparable with intels 4 core I7 930.
I think the whole point here is the AMD's are a very budget friendly alternative for people. The AMD X6's are very comparable to the i7's, except for the i7 980X. AMD X6 $199 to $299 VS Intel i7-980X $1000. How fast, is fast enough for your needs?

I built an entire system for the price of the i7-980X, and I am happy as a clam. Stepping up from a couple of outdated dual core machines, the X6 exceeded my expectations in every way. I was borrowing my partners i7 machine for a while and the X6 has no noticeable drop off.

So, in conclusion... $199 to $299 VS $1000. What will serve your needs and wallet?

Old 07-29-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
Alter Ego

Just an update that I wanted to share. I made some changes to an existing (and complicated) 3D After Effects project and re-rendered out to a Canopus lossless avi. This project previously took almost 12 hours to render with my old intel dual core machine. With the new AMD X6 1055T machine it took 1 hour and 42 minutes. After Effects utilizes all 6 cores and I have "render 2 frames at a time" enabled. I am very pleased with the performance:)

Old 08-02-2010, 07:30 PM   #10
Watermoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post
I think the whole point here is the AMD's are a very budget friendly alternative for people. The AMD X6's are very comparable to the i7's, except for the i7 980X. AMD X6 $199 to $299 VS Intel i7-980X $1000. How fast, is fast enough for your needs?

I built an entire system for the price of the i7-980X, and I am happy as a clam. Stepping up from a couple of outdated dual core machines, the X6 exceeded my expectations in every way. I was borrowing my partners i7 machine for a while and the X6 has no noticeable drop off.

So, in conclusion... $199 to $299 VS $1000. What will serve your needs and wallet?
Brilliant Point man. Its good to see your machine is performing well for you.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories