Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 02-24-2009, 03:13 AM   #51
SoundFreak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbart View Post
No one I know personally who has a computer (which is just about everyone) has an Xeon.
Hello Manbart, i would like you to meet the first Xeon user, who has 2 systems, 1 at home, 1 in the office, and besides typing invoices for my business I do not generate income from video production on either of my systems.
I do have to state that their are indeed not many like me, but this is changing.

It is absolutely of no use to compare sheer processor speed as any one who ownes a Xeon system will know this, Sure if you do games you want the highest clock speed / frame rate you can get / offord.

When you compare a gaming machine with a sports car, you could compare a xeon with a Hummer H1, once on full speed nothing is stopping it :)

I have played with many systems in my lifetime building pc's, sure the i7 is fast and yes the benchmarks look good, but if compared with a similar spec'ed Xeon I would take the xeon any day of the week, simply because of the sheer power and being so much better in multitasking.

As stated above it is unfair to compare todays technology (i7) with something as old as the Xeon, but when splashing the same amount of money the Xeon still holds it's own against the i7.

Just my 2 cents
SoundFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:17 AM   #52
THoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundFreak View Post
I have played with many systems in my lifetime building pc's, sure the i7 is fast and yes the benchmarks look good, but if compared with a similar spec'ed Xeon I would take the xeon any day of the week, simply because of the sheer power and being so much better in multitasking.
Actually, if multitasking is important to you, then you should definitely get an i7-based system, even if it just an i7 920 -- it will beat the stuffing out of a non-Nehalem Xeon.

The new Xeons with a Nehalem core are almost here, and they offer about twice the performance of their non-Nehalem counterparts at essentially the same clock speed (slightly lower, in fact) in heavily multitasking applications:

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=554

Once the new Xeons are available, take your pick between them and an ordinary i7.
THoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:51 AM   #53
SoundFreak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoff View Post
The new Xeons with a Nehalem core are almost here, and they offer about twice the performance of their non-Nehalem counterparts at essentially the same clock speed
Once they are released and proven to be stable / compatible etc I will surely look at them a bit closer, for the moment I have decided to hold of on purchasing a pair of 5460's to replace my power hungry 5050's, as they are still very dear.

Maybe an i7 based server would be more bang per buck, time will tell ............
SoundFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #54
gdame

Yes, i7's are fast and when the system is a tweaked and balanced set of components then it is the absolute best bang for your buck. Check these systems www.editHD.com . These turnkey packages are maybe the best deal around at the moment and they include delivery, setup & basic operational training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoff View Post
Actually, if multitasking is important to you, then you should definitely get an i7-based system, even if it just an i7 920 -- it will beat the stuffing out of a non-Nehalem Xeon.

The new Xeons with a Nehalem core are almost here, and they offer about twice the performance of their non-Nehalem counterparts at essentially the same clock speed (slightly lower, in fact) in heavily multitasking applications:

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=554

Once the new Xeons are available, take your pick between them and an ordinary i7.
gdame is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories