Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 02-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #11
manbart

Default RE:Xeon Overkill

I think Nehalem dual quad Xeon machines would be pretty useless overkill for Edius, or even anywhere near normal use of photoshop, or even AE. My i7 920($300) running at 3.3 with 12 gis of 1600 DDR3 in Vista 64 makes Edius fly, photoshop also absolutely flys through very demanding tasks. I don't have AE but I think it also would run very nice and would get minimal benefit from Xeon. Maybe Xeon would be worth it for editing AVCHD. . . but no offense to anyone. . I don't bother with that.

Tilford
manbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:14 PM   #12
swsw1550

Or for server use like intended for, but each to their own.

Steve
swsw1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:46 AM   #13
shueardm

Hi Steve

The name and brand XEON is not intended solely for servers as in file, database, printer or NAS servers, it's a confusion that you continue to reclaim.

There are XEON's for servers and there are XEON's for workstations.

models for servers

and for worstations

The XEON 5400 series is used and recommended by high end CAD, Design, 3D engineers and by most post production facilities and vendors like AJA, blackMagic, Bluefish444 etc etc as the choice for performance and stability. Until those DP Core i7 systems come online (if at all) then the XEON 5400 series is still the way to go for best performance in our environment, at a cost of course. Or for a budget job a single processor i7 looks (but not thoroughly tested) preety sweet for the price.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:30 AM   #14
swsw1550

Click on your link down the bottom (learn more about Xeon) and yes they where designed for servers in the beginning, This is from the learn more link.
The breakthrough performance, energy efficiency, and reliability of Intel® Xeon® processor-based server systems make them the ideal choice for all of your data demanding or standard enterprise infrastructure applications.

Intel® processor-based servers enable businesses worldwide to do more and spend less—with outstanding price/performance and broad 64-bit choice across OEMs, operating systems, and applications. Supported by a single stable mainstream 2P server platform supporting a range of CPU options for IT flexibility, investment protection and easy migration.

Reliable, efficient, proven performance. Why would you depend on anything else? Intel® Xeon® processor-based servers deliver it all. Put Intel® server technology to work in your datacenter.

Steve
Old 02-20-2009, 02:27 AM   #15
shueardm

Yes that link goes to the generic 5000 series page which encompasses server specific chips too.

Simply use the "which processor is right for me" tool. If you choose "expert" "digital content creator" 2D or 3D, you get a 5400 series DP XEON suggestion. Certainly nobody is denying it might be overkill for lots of people- but I decline your suggestion that they are simply for server applications and out of place for our purpose.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:34 AM   #16
tingsern

I agree with shueardm.

What's good for servers are also good for workstations (like us). Not only the motherboard for server class chips are better - can accommodate PCI-64 cards, add more memories, etc, they are also engineered to withstand the higher temperatures that are encountered inside servers - which translate to better reliability for us.
Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema
tingsern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:14 AM   #17
manbart

Of course if someone prefers an Xeon system, that will be a great system for just about any content creation task. I just don't see the point in it for all but a few situations. . . not the vast majority of us. Asus makes a really high qualify great Work Station motherboard for the i7 CPU. I think it has six PCIe slots, very high quality components, esata ports, internal SAS drive controller with Raid. It can run a $300 i7 920 at minimum 3.2 on stock Intel fan with stability enough for NLE. With a nice aftermarket fan 3.5 is stable. For $220 you can have 6 gigs of pretty high end DDR3 1600. Particularly in 64bit this relatively inexpensive system will be great for anyone doing anything other than a lot of complex 3D or maybe a lot editing in AVCHD even more power would be nice. It will give you an edge in encoding, but nothing thats so dramatic to really add up to all that much. Premiere, Photoshop, After Effects do not need Xeon and with it I don't think you will get much more bang for the buck. That being said I think Xeon is the fastest and probably most stable platform. So if one thinks they have or actually does have the need, and they have the finances and the inclination why not? It's just for vast majority Xeon is not needed at all, and I don't think makes that much sense. I would not recommend it for your typical person doing NLE.

Tilford
manbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:18 AM   #18
swsw1550

I agree manbart, most of these people on this forum wouldn't need Xeon's and all that other stuff, most of them are home user's, so why have it? it is a bit of an overkill really.

Steve
Old 02-20-2009, 05:37 AM   #19
shueardm

I digress, most of the users here are professionals. 8 cores beats 4 cores every day of the year and ain't that what the thread is about?
Old 02-20-2009, 06:07 AM   #20
DMS Video

So I wrote my initial post having no idea that a few hours later a water pipe would burst in my basement. I'm glad the studio is on the second floor. Anyhow, I appreciate all the responses even though my brain is now spinning, (more because of the complexities of the responses versus the hours of cleaning up water all over the place) lol. It's tricky not being a hardware expert. Nevertheless, I'm going to take sometime to digest all the great responses. Thanks everyone for your input.

Laptop - Edius 7.42 / Intel Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition Desktop / 3.6GHz/4.0GHZ / 32GB Hyper-X Quad Channel 1600MHz Ram / Nvidia GeForce GTX-880 w/ 8GB of GDDR5 Video Memory / (3) 1TB SATA-3 V-NAND SSD / Windows 8.1 64-bit
Desktop - Edius 5.5 / Intel i7 975 Quad Core 3.33GHz / 12GB DDR3 1333MHz / Nvidia GeForce GTX-275 / Vis Title 1.1 / FireCoder-Blu / (2) 27" LCDs / JVC DT-V24L1U (24" 1080p) / Windows Vista 64 - www.EditHD.com
DMS Video is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories